Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411679 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 10:53:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCrushing Fist - Sidescrolling Beat 'em up
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Crushing Fist - Sidescrolling Beat 'em up  (Read 405 times)
Kienay
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2017, 01:09:02 AM »

Hi, there and a Happy New Year!
I started working on an arcade styled sidescrolling/ beltscrolling Beat 'em up a while ago. Think of Double Dragon or Final Fight. I aim to bring a somewhat classic experience to the players. In line with how the arcade classics did, it's supposed to be as simple as possible while still offering somewhat deep gameplay for maximum accessibility. Don't hassle yourself with long tutorials. Jump right in and smack some villains.

There are different approaches with this kind of games. I like the simple crowd control type. Just a basic combo string to hit enemies without too much variation, ending with a knockdown. Try to hit as many enemies at the same time without being hit yourself. It's all about positioning.

All basic gameplay mechanics already worked at some point except for grabs/ throws, knockdowns and weapons. But since I migrated from GMS to GMS2 I messed around and up a quite a lot. I am doing everything from scratch again. Basic movement (8-way, running by double tapping left or right), button mapping for keyboard and/ or gamepad as well as (partly) jumping are done. I will talk about other elements when I am able to show it in action.

It's gonna have local coop, btw.

I am doing large pixel sprites. Still struggling with animations, but there is always room to improve. This is an example for the most generic enemy type you'll encounter (well, it's the same as in the gifs). Not 100% finished, yet, but you'll get the idea for the style I am going for. Might do some AA and better shading at some point, but right now I am aiming for working sprite sheets instead. Graphical improvements will be pushed back to a later point when I gained more experience.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:18:39 PM by Kienay » Logged
darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 07:33:01 AM »

Hey, good to see you've started a thread Grin

I think the dude looks great. If you're able to use 3D posing/animation software with a standard mannequin, it could be really useful to use these and rotoscope/trace your pixel art over the frames, That is how BlazBlue graphics were made- albeit they modeled each individual character. It will cut out a lot of trial and error, as I'm sure such high resolution pixel art is very time consuming.

Super looking forward to more!     

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic