Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411536 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 02:07:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralLimbo of the lost (LOL)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Limbo of the lost (LOL)  (Read 6228 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2008, 09:53:27 AM »

You might have already read that on another forum, since it is all over the internets right now, but lolwut (read the whole thread)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 09:55:18 AM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:55:58 AM »

WTF

That's so weird :D

Also LOL stands for Limbo Of the Lost now.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 11:16:09 AM »

I just don't get it. Why would anyone do that?!
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 11:31:37 AM »

The trailers are the most hilariously horrendously awesome things I've ever seen. WTF

december
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 11:47:11 AM »

cave story ripoff

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 11:52:32 AM »

cave story ripoff

I wouldn't be surprised :D
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 12:44:26 PM »

And I heard the game itself is actually quite inspired and enjoyable.

Which makes their decision even more stupid. Ruin a potentially good game with asset theft. I would rather have shelved the title and waited until I got a proper background artist, or do the best I could anyway. At least it would be original and not lead to the game being pulled off retail and be the center of copyright infringement investigations.

Still stupid.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:34:48 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 12:57:54 PM »

The worst part is that guy's avatar.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »

This wins the award of my favorite thing so far today!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Oddbob
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 03:16:43 PM »

Which makes their decision even more stupid. Ruin a potentially good game with asset theft. I would rather have shelved the title and waited until I got a proper background artist, or do the best I could anyway. At least it would be original and not lead to the game being pulled off retail and be the center of copyright infringement investigations.

Stupid.

It's not you know, it's really really gash. Content theft is the very least of the games problems.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 03:17:56 PM »

Stupid.

It's not you know, it's really really gash. Content theft is the very least of the games problems.

Ah, I must have read one of the "objective reviews", probably written by the creators themselves under different names. Tongue

Also, have you played it? If so, please share the experience. In detail. Kiss

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 03:22:37 PM »

Why does he have poo around his mouth? WTF
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 03:26:25 PM »

Because he looks up to you.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 03:27:19 PM »

That's probably why he's got that facial expression...

gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 03:44:57 PM »

The trailers of the game are hilarious.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34863.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28891.html

Also check out the making of video:

Petri Purho
Oddbob
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 03:46:24 PM »

I played it up to a point. The point where my will to live had slipped from me and a coma was beckoning. That sort of point.

Ok, so I said the content theft is the least of its problems and that's not strictly true because the game is very much the sum of its parts.

It opens with a scene of you plummeting into hell. I can't work out if it's from Spore or Painkiller as I've not watched/played either in a long time now, but y'know - it's nicked. Once you're into the game proper, it takes seconds to realise you're a poser model in a screengrab. As is customary, you begin in a cell. Because that's where all games start isn't it?

Cue a goblin walking along the ceiling towards you as your back is turned. Closely followed by an epic unskippable piece of exposition leading to the goblin waving his finger at the lock to unlock it. The scene is set, you're in limbo, in a cell with a no longer locked door. What's your next move? That's right, kids. Go to the door.

So you toddle out the door, your odd shadow and black outline in tow and into the first of a series of corridor rooms. Each corridor room looks entirely different to the last. You come across a few signs en route where you're welcome to endure the tedium of reading each one. Every one of your characters actions is accompanied by a little animation just to drag things out a few seconds longer than they should take.

After meandering around these corridors for what felt like an eternity I finally set upon a room with two exits (although getting out the room into one of the exits was an almighty fuckaround). One way takes you to the kitchen, where you stumble into Vera Duckworth's goblin twin. She's a cook with a taste for human flesh. You know this because there's a whopping amount of tedious dialogue with terrible voice acting to wade through as you suffer each one of the awful jokes the game lays out in front of you. It also turns out you're the captain of the Mary Celeste. Bonus!

Once you've wandered off, took a bath, had a really long poo and sat back down at the keyboard you might just be back into the game itself. If you're slow. I stumbled off into a library (it had books, books and more books) where I got treated to sniffing a pot (not some pot, that would have at least been enjoyable) and into a room with a lever. Attempt to move the lever and your character appears to be making a sound like he's just cum. Bored with that, I went off to investigate the other exit I'd missed.

There's a fat bloke in the centre of the room, he's your jailer and he's in the land of nod. Evidently a heavy sleeper as you conduct an entire conversation in this room with what looks like a reject from the Pirates Of The Caribbean poser model collective about how you should be really quiet so as not to wake the jailer. This goes on for ages and ages and ages.

I couldn't take anymore at this point, I just couldn't. The tedium of wonky controls, exposition central whenever you looked at anything or stumbled upon a character, the way every single room looked like it was in a different building from the last, the awkwardness of moving around the map or looking at *anything* had my dying from the inside.

It's a truly rotten experience that I've likely made sound a gazillion times more interesting and better than it actually is. In fact, the only thing it does have going for it as a game is the "spot the stolen content" meta game. The rest of it will leave you longing for death to come and sweep you away from a world of shit and pain.

Yet, I'm still in awe of the sheer cheek of the whole thing. There's a monumental amount of effort gone into making the game, but no amount of effort is going to make up for the severe lack of talent shown in every facet of the game.

Top marks for balls out cheek, no marks for anything else.  Beer!
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 03:54:54 PM »

This game sounds monumentally terrible, like they've plumbed new depths of terrible-ness.  It's admirable, in a way.

Why would he do that? WTF
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 04:23:27 PM »

Why would he do that? WTF

Derek, I suspect Inane is referring to that photo montage involving you and a lovely threat, courtesy of Dan Tabar. Wink

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 04:25:05 PM »

Well thank you Oddbob, you spiked my interest even more now. Gentleman

This should be an inspiration for the next B-Game compo. Seriously, it's practically everything it stands for in a single game.

It should also be noted on the screenshots that the game's graphics were enhanced with the addition of lensflares!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:38:00 PM by Melly » Logged

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 05:15:48 PM »

The "creators" of this game:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Also, torrenting this game right now.