Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 06:59:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralOkay, Firefox 3 is pretty damn fast.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Okay, Firefox 3 is pretty damn fast.  (Read 15603 times)
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2008, 09:50:59 PM »

I rolled back to XP today because Firefox 3 was one of the many things not working on Vista.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2008, 12:57:06 AM »

In the meanwhile, would you be so kind to tell me how to turn off the smoothing?

Not even that much I know, yet. But there must be some setting in about:config, as you pointed out. I just haven't found it.

Since this is a Firefox thread, it can't hurt to ask you people: Has anyone experienced this problem in which videos embedded in Flash stop working? They usually play two seconds, soundless, and stop, even though they load and all. I think this has happened to me while having lots of tabs open (which I usually do) with lots of videos or Flash stuff in the different tabs. The only way to correct it is to reopen Firefox. I haven't found a permanent cure.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2008, 03:41:38 AM »

Type about:config in the address bar and then scroll down to browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped and change the value to false.

Can you do something similar to stop the pixel filtering?

Hmm, I'm not quite sure but it may have something to do with images.dither on the about:config page, change the value from auto to false perhaps? Don't quote me on this though...

browser.enable_automatic_image_resizing set to false might also be of use to those who were experiencing the shoddy pixel art resolution as well.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2008, 03:47:15 AM »

I have to agree it is fast.  I mean, it was on my computer for what, 10 minutes?
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »

Haw.

That scaling thing is stupid, though!  Stupider that you can't turn it off. Lips Sealed
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2008, 01:00:59 PM »

Haw.

That scaling thing is stupid, though!  Stupider that you can't turn it off. Lips Sealed

Hmm, actually if you set browser.enable_automatic_image_resizing in about:config to false you can disable that...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2008, 01:36:15 PM »

Oh, okay - sorry, I missed your post above!  Thanks, I'll give that a try. Smiley
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2008, 02:49:29 PM »

... I still don't understand what this scaling issue is about. I'm on FX3, and Derek's avatar, for example, is perfectly crisp.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2008, 03:31:41 PM »

My avatar's not scaled, though.  Head over to Pixelation and click on one of the pixel artworks posted there to see what the problemo is.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »

Still can't see it. I'm probably too awesome for it.

GreatFox
Level 0

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2008, 03:56:41 PM »

Still can't see it. I'm probably too awesome for it.
Or maybe it's the other way?
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2008, 03:58:53 PM »

OOOH I SEE

That's horrible.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2008, 04:34:53 PM »

If you guys want the filtering shit fixed, I suggest you head on over to here:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=423756
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2008, 06:30:52 PM »

Haw.

Hmm, actually if you set browser.enable_automatic_image_resizing in about:config to false you can disable that...

That doesn't work. Things like Pixeljoint scaling thingy still look like shit even with that off. I think that just makes it so images that are too big or something aren't automatically resized.

I'm looking through about:config for anything that could help and I found this "images.dither" thing, set to "auto", but it uses a string instead of either false or true, so I'm not sure what to put in it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2008, 03:37:19 AM »

I'm using Opera. (9.5 on my desktop, 9.2 on my (old) laptop)

I don't know if it is truly faster or something but I love it.
It's indy. Maybe I just like it because everyone uses FireFucks nowadays. (Pun not intended)

I actually used FireFox for some 2 years... but I sticked with Opera around version 8 or so because it seemed to me that every really useful feature first came to Opera and then was introduced to FireFox. (for example: Wand, Fast-Deal)

Opera offers me just the customization I want and it's really stable.
And it's really easy to clear the cache+history after having surfed for p0rnz on the interwebs.

Ah... I tried Safari for Windows once. And it sucked. I took some useful features from Safari (Recycle Bin?) and integrated it into my Opera. And that just made Opera superior.

BaronCid

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
hroon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2008, 01:33:21 AM »

The smoothing "feature" seems to be missing in the linux version. There is a bug report https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=423756 for the problem, but noone seems to work on it so far...

Jesseyay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2008, 02:32:09 AM »

Yay for firefox 3!!
Although I haven't noticed any differences other than pure asthetic ones.
It's still great.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2008, 05:29:56 AM »

Yay for firefox 3!!
Although I haven't noticed any differences other than pure asthetic ones.
It's still great.

Use the awesome bar, it sped up my ability to surf the sites I often visit.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Corpus
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2008, 01:50:29 PM »

Use the awesome bar, it sped up my ability to surf the sites I often visit.

What is this "awesome bar"? Is it that fugly new context menu sort of thing? The one that shows history options as you type, and is just like the old one except fuglier?
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2008, 01:53:55 PM »

What is this "awesome bar"? Is it that fugly new context menu sort of thing? The one that shows history options as you type, and is just like the old one except fuglier?

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2068.msg50465#msg50465 Gentleman
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic