Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 02:43:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWall-E review and general discussion about movies now-a-days in general.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Wall-E review and general discussion about movies now-a-days in general.  (Read 8268 times)
Saladan0
Level 1

I am so Indie I beat Diamond Rider on Legendary.

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2008, 01:35:56 AM »

(Dont worry, Im not going to post any spoilers.)

<Sal_Wall-E> Guys
<Sal_Wall-E> Anyone still here
<Sal_Wall-E> ?
<BlademasterBobo> yes
<Sal_Wall-E> ...
<BlademasterBobo> kind of
<Sal_Wall-E> Im not going to lie
<Sal_Wall-E> This isnt sarcasm
<Sal_Wall-E> That was one of the best movies I have ever seen.
<BlademasterBobo> haha
<BlademasterBobo> sweet
<reetva> Woah.
<reetva> I was undecided before, but I think you've convinced me,
<Sal_Wall-E> Im going to right a review on the forums. Not about the movie in general, but why I think Pixar is one of the best movie companies in my personal opinion. Itll be a general talk about the degeneration of movies, but I think itll be fine
<Sal_Wall-E> But im sleep deprived right now, I slept like 4 hours last night, I did physical training for a few hours today
<Sal_Wall-E> and its 2 am the next
<Sal_Wall-E> but man
<Sal_Wall-E> Guy, you are all nice people, you may be cynical, and treat everything new with skepticism, but if you go see this movie with good expectations and a good heart
<Sal_Wall-E> You will enjoy it
<Sal_Wall-E> You really will

I just came back from the opening midnight showing of Wall-E and well... Ill tell you what I thought of it later on, but first I want to talk about movies now.

Honestly, one of the biggest killers I saw of modern day movies in my personal opinion was the last LOTR movie. Not because it was bad or anything, but because it was good. The whole series was a great adventure which so many people around the world enjoyed. Now I know, there are going to be alot of people here who didnt like the movie, thats not what we were talking about here but what I mean is, the series gave all the movie goers a great journey which gave everybody good feelings and most important of all it gave a satisfying conclusion...

...All 11 of them, but thats also not what we are chatting about here.

Now look at movies coming out now. Many are sequels, remakes of old movies, or adaptations from books and videogames. Nowadays, you dont get the "feeling" in most movies. People aren't taken in by anything. Sure you may get a few unique ideas here and there, and im not saying there haven't been good movies out recently because there has been. But you rarely get something in which you actually feel for the characters, or you get sucked into the movie and ignore your surroundings.

This may all be my one lone opinion, but movies have been going downhill for a while now and I haven't seen many things trying to turn things around.

But I just came back from Wall-E.. and, well..

Pixar has always been a shining beacon of hope in the dredge that has been Hollywood scripts and CG, You get unique things and I have rarely ever seen much criticism of any movie they have made. They have ALL been at least decent. (Opinion, I know, but hold on please) and the lowest movie I can think of rank wise may be Cars, but every single one of their movies has been for the most part, truly original and unique.

As stated above, my standards of new movies has somewhat diminished. It all started when I went to see the "Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" movie. I had just finished the books, and when I realized there was a movie out about it, I pretty much exploded with joy.

Then I saw the movie.

That movie was the single most crushing blow I have ever experienced with a movie. It wasnt BAD per se, it was just so different, so not what I was expecting after reading the books that my concept of going into a movie theater cheery and optimistic was all but shattered. I have never really gone into a recent movie with anything more than somewhat low expectations because of the fear that I might be so disappointed again.

So thank you pixar, thank you Wall-E for giving me such a great feeling of going into a movie with such high expectations that I was left feeling full, and optimistic of the future of movies with the experience you left me with.

So now, without further ado, my review.

Actually no, theres one more quick thing I need to mention.
Remember how all Pixar movies usually had a quick animation inf ront of it? Something completely unrelated to the movie you went to see? Well pixar did it again. And it was so well done and slapstick funny that it sent me into the movie with a great sense of joy. Which, I hope was the intended idea.

Ok, I wont really say anything about the story at all, because I was one of the first to see it and Im not that much a dick to ruin it for you guys, so this will be somewhat limited.

I loved the movie. As I said in the IRC post it was one of the best movies I have ever seen, probably in part due to the other movies I have seen lately that have left me feeling empty afterwords (Thanks Jumper) and well...

I cant continue this right now. Im literally about the pass out and the last 10 minutes have been a blur. Ill try and write a legit review tomorrow in this thread that way tonight I dont post any accidental spoilers due to me not being able to think straight. So until then, I guess talk about what I wrote in the first part of this thread because I have a feeling im not the only one thinking this way here.

Also, if you have a chance before I post a review to see this movie, please do so. as I said, if you go into it with a clear conscience, WITHOUT (fixed) cynical anticipation, or without skepticism, and you go in with happiness, you will not be disappointed. This movie will make you feel good inside.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 01:42:02 AM by Saladan0 » Logged
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 01:48:25 AM »

I dunno. I'm guy and I know I am treat everything new with a skeptical. I think my heart will go out in the middle of this movie and buy more snacks from the snack stall, and it will interrupt everyone's heart looking at the movie, twice, as I try to get past them, and then back in again.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 02:21:11 AM »

I agree that too many remakes, adaptations and the like are damaging the mainstream movie industry. Not enough original ideas being put out, because the executives prefer to use an existing story that is apparently a 'safer bet'. Look at the lineup of 'in production' movies and you will see this is only going to get worse with remakes/adaptations/sequels like Mulan, Watchmen, Neuromancer, Seven Samurai, Dragon Ball, Friday the 13th, Scanners, S. Darko and so on.

Then again, when the movie industry does try something original, they come up with Beverley Hills Chihuahua. Maybe we should stick with the remakes  Huh?

As for Pixar, I do think they are a good company, and underappreciated because they make what are seen as just kids' movies. Definitely going to see WALL-E when it comes out down here.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 02:26:22 AM »

... I have to say though: I loved the Hitchhiker's; It was really one of the best films I had seen in a while, and I am a great fan of the books.

PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 06:09:26 AM »

"This may all be my one lone opinion, but movies have been going downhill for a while now and I haven't seen many things trying to turn things around."

It sounds like you're just going to the wrong movies.

Hollywood is a business.  Studios in Hollywood make movies for 1 reason alone: to make money.  You should never go to a Hollywood movie expecting great things.  That's not to say that Hollywood movies won't be amazing works of art, but that happens so rarely that it's barely quantifiable (Godfather, Amadeus, Unforgiven ...).

If you want innovative movies that are worth watching, then you should go to an independent movie.  Personally, I prefer to watch Hollywood movies just because they are more fun, but my fiancee drags me to indies all the time, and they are far more rewarding ... if you want more from your movie than just entertainment.

... I have to say though: I loved the Hitchhiker's; It was really one of the best films I had seen in a while, and I am a great fan of the books.

Wow, we are the only 2 people in the galaxy who liked BOTH the books and the movie!  I thought that I was alone!   Beer!

So long and thanks for all the fish ... da da da dun da dun da dun ... (in my head for the rest of the day)

my computer music blog: http://www.thisisnotalabel.com
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 06:36:42 AM »

I sorta totally disagree, actually. I haven't seen Wall-e yet, so I can't make opinions about that, but I'm still loving the movies that have come out recently.

Especially Iron Man. That was one of my favorite watches in a long while, and it was pulled off very well. And I love movies with Samuel L. Jackson in them.

And also, the one movie I'm interested in seeing next year is the Watchmen Movie. It's based off of the graphic novel Watchmen, but I think it could end up being one of the coolest movies ever.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 07:27:34 AM »

I disagree. I will never forgive the removal of Tom Bombadil.

Wow, we are the only 2 people in the galaxy who liked BOTH the books and the movie!  I thought that I was alone!   Beer!

So long and thanks for all the fish ... da da da dun da dun da dun ... (in my head for the rest of the day)
Beer!
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 07:29:06 AM »

I disagree. I will never forgive the removal of Tom Bombadil.

Beer!
Beer!
Hoorah! I'm not alone!

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 07:56:38 AM »

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=52159665787

PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 08:36:55 AM »

bwahahahah!

I was like "Oh, apparently there are a lot of people who liked both" ... then I clicked the link.  I have never even seen a group with only 2 people in it ... until now!

my computer music blog: http://www.thisisnotalabel.com
gamer4Life
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 09:50:15 AM »

I don't really think anythings changed.  There are always good projects and bad projects.

I think you're forgetting how many s****y movies there are that AREN'T sequels, based on a comic book, etc...

The video game industry is exactly the same...

And, like someone else suggested, there's always the indie scene.  Or, at least, the scene OUTSIDE the main hollywood industry.

By the way, ever seen:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bRMfDbm7nFo

It changed my life, and that wasn't really featured anywhere (except a Kenna video that I'm not sure how popular it was.)

Basically, it was made to win Oscars.  And, it rocks!
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 09:56:35 AM »

And, like someone else suggested, there's always the indie scene.

Speaking of which, I heard there are quite a lot of good games in the indie scene, i hear there is an old school platformer with an amnesiac robot on a floating island fighting against a guy with a phd wearing a helmet and a concrete-made talking toaster, along with cockroaches.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 10:12:35 AM »

bwahahahah!

I was like "Oh, apparently there are a lot of people who liked both" ... then I clicked the link.  I have never even seen a group with only 2 people in it ... until now!

... It might be because I jsut started it Tongue

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 10:13:40 AM »

And, like someone else suggested, there's always the indie scene.

Speaking of which, I heard there are quite a lot of good games in the indie scene, i hear there is an old school platformer with an amnesiac robot on a floating island fighting against a guy with a phd wearing a helmet and a concrete-made talking toaster, along with cockroaches.
Sounds like a ripoff of that film Johnny Mnemonic to me.

olücæbelel
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 10:16:30 AM »

Join't.

Corpus
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 11:42:56 AM »

Movies aren't particularly getting worse. The mainstream films are mostly vacuous (but, it should be pointed out, often still rather fun) shit, the indie films are where most of the real quality's at and the faux indie films miss the mark as often as they hit it (i.e. Juno, from what I've heard. From Golds).

So it is, and so it has been for most of Hollywood's lifetime (although, once, of course, the line between mainstream and what we would now call "indie" films was pretty blurred). So it is also in games, books, or pretty much any art form which also happens to be Big Business.
Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 05:19:06 PM »

Man guys I am not going to lie, Wall-E brought me close to crying 10+ times or more. The imagery combined with lack of spoken word is what does it. There were a few sequences where I was so absolutely captured that my eyes started watering. It was a really beautiful movie. I can't believe I'm saying this at all, either. I cannot recommend this movie enough. And I urge you to see a late showing so you won't have to put up with the childrenz.

As for the movie industry, it pretty much falls in with how I feel about mainstream media vs. indie media so whatever.

Seriously though go see Wall-E. I'm so god damned happy.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 05:45:19 PM »

Man guys I am not going to lie, Wall-E brought me close to crying 10+ times or more. The imagery combined with lack of spoken word is what does it. There were a few sequences where I was so absolutely captured that my eyes started watering. It was a really beautiful movie. I can't believe I'm saying this at all, either. I cannot recommend this movie enough. And I urge you to see a late showing so you won't have to put up with the childrenz.

As for the movie industry, it pretty much falls in with how I feel about mainstream media vs. indie media so whatever.

Seriously though go see Wall-E. I'm so god damned happy.
My thoughts EXACTLY.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »

And also, the one movie I'm interested in seeing next year is the Watchmen Movie. It's based off of the graphic novel Watchmen, but I think it could end up being one of the coolest movies ever.
I take it you haven't read the graphic novel. The problem for me is that I don't know if I really think Watchmen will be a bad movie, or just a bad adaptation. With bonehead Zack Snyder at the helm I don't see how it will possibly capture the complexity and depth of the graphic novel, but can it be a good movie on its own? I thought V for Vendetta was a great movie until I read the original graphic novel, and now the movie seems terrible in comparison.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 07:28:28 PM »

Fuck movies. They are like video games for people who can't walk and chew gum. I respect Cinema's past, but most of the shit I've watched lately blows a goat. Crystal Skull? Fuck it, I've written better Indy slash fiction then that.I am Legend? Fuck that, lets rewrite the end so its a boring Hollywood martyr story, yeah thats better then the badass end the book had! Shit, I can't even remember what movies I saw in the theatres lately. Most are disappointing tripe.
I used to be excited for adaptations, but I've come to realize that most are just cash grabs for whomever owns the IP. Lets cut out Tom Bombadill and Rewrite the end!

MAYBE they should stop trying trying to bleach all the intelligence out of cinema. Just because you pack your story with bullshit twists doesn't make it a smart thriller. Just because you have a billion cat scares doesn't make your movie scary!
Fuck fast zombies! Fuck Heroes needlessly dieing in the end! Fuck pretend personal crisis in lives of superhuman beings! Fuck happy endings in 'traditional' movies! Fuck sad endings in 'edgy' movies! Fuck comedies being carried fart jokes and 4 second parodies!

ARGAEGAEGAERGARGARFGAGAGGGGGGggggg...

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic