Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 09:09:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWall-E review and general discussion about movies now-a-days in general.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Wall-E review and general discussion about movies now-a-days in general.  (Read 8267 times)
Jrsquee
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 08:07:13 PM »

Man guys I am not going to lie, Wall-E brought me close to crying 10+ times or more. The imagery combined with lack of spoken word is what does it. There were a few sequences where I was so absolutely captured that my eyes started watering. It was a really beautiful movie. I can't believe I'm saying this at all, either. I cannot recommend this movie enough. And I urge you to see a late showing so you won't have to put up with the childrenz.

As for the movie industry, it pretty much falls in with how I feel about mainstream media vs. indie media so whatever.

Seriously though go see Wall-E. I'm so god damned happy.
My thoughts EXACTLY.

Just came back from a showing: it's great.  Really really great.
Seth
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 08:30:42 PM »

Tom Bombadil's little scene serves no purpose to progress the story in the book, it was like a cheap little irrelevant sidequest, and deserved to be cut.

I saw Teeth today.  It's about a girl who has a vagina with teeth.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 04:16:54 AM »

Is this a recognised phobia? It should be.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 05:49:40 AM »

It is part of some myths of my region.
Corpus
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 06:36:45 AM »

BS, Quiggan. Films are hot shit.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 02:44:27 PM »

S. Darko

I saw that and thought to myself "no that couldn't possibly..."

Oh GOD NO.

Cry

Please leave Donnie Darko be Hollywood.

Wow, we are the only 2 people in the galaxy who liked BOTH the books and the movie!  I thought that I was alone!   Beer!

Five now. We are not alone. Beer!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 02:49:30 PM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 03:07:57 PM »

BS, Quiggan. Films are hot shit.

Why is being hot shit a good thing, I want to be as far away from hot shit as possible!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
dillomatic
Level 0

i'm the worst at what i do best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2008, 04:17:14 PM »

as much as i do love pixar, i'm missing good old 2d animation.

the art is dying and it's not good!

i am great.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2008, 05:47:47 PM »

Wall-E is good.  All the silent movie/emotional robot stuff is especially great.  The human/spaceship stuff is less so.  It reminded me of Idiocracy, although not as pointed.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Saladan0
Level 1

I am so Indie I beat Diamond Rider on Legendary.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2008, 05:49:10 PM »

YES! I forgot to mention that. If youve seen idiocracy, the first 10 minutes or so will remind you of it.
godsavant
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2008, 06:37:53 PM »

Sometimes, pussy eats YOU.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2008, 06:51:43 PM »

Sometimes, pussy eats YOU.
Men knocked them out with stones.

Beautiful myths here.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008, 08:05:46 PM »

as much as i do love pixar, i'm missing good old 2d animation.

the art is dying and it's not good!
You'll be happy to know that Pixar is now in charge of Disney's 2D animation.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2008, 08:50:31 PM »

I agree that Wall-E was great, but in my opinion it was slightly tainted by the complete lack of surprises or tension.  Almost every Pixar movie I've ever seen has had at the very least a single scene (or a character, or something in the story, etc) that struck me as a pleasant surprise; Wall-E had none.  It wasn't necessarily that it was predictable or anything, just very, very familiar.  It was still a delight; I mean it was basically a feature length version of Luxo Jr, how can you not love that?  But I still felt just slightly that this was...well that it didn't push quite as hard as some of the previous Pixar films did.  Echoes of Portal and Idiocracy only reinforced that impression for me.  I've left the theater opening weekend for every Pixar film ever (except maybe Toy Story 2, which I didn't see til it hit DVD) with a really distinct feeling of exhilaration, some really raw feeling of WOW.  Not just as a reaction to the visual presentation but to the honesty of the story and the...I guess sense of adventure.  Wall-E didn't really have quite the same spark for me...even Cars gave me this feeling, and that was basically a comedy.

Anyways, not sure if any of that made sense, but great movie, totally worth seeing in the theater, but...felt just slightly, 1% off to me.  To me this makes it one of the worst Pixar films ever made - very much in the same category as Bugs Life for me.  This does, of course, mean its still far better than most other movies that will be released this year!  But yeah.  My two cents.

cup full of magic charisma
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2008, 09:50:13 PM »

I just saw Wall-E today. It was pretty awesome. I have no complaints. Except for the annoying children in the theater that kept asking stupid questions loudly and jumping up and down for absolutely no reason. But the movie was real good.

As for movies in general, I don't see the point in being all critical of them and stuff. I have very low expectations of everything and I'm fine with that, because I neither expect nor want to be blown away by every movie I watch. I find it hard to be critical of any movie because even when they're terrible they all seem pretty entertaining to me. The only thing I don't like is when stuff isn't explained. I don't mean I'm the kind of person that doesn't like some loose ends at the end, or likes everything to end up nice and tight in a neat little bundle, I mean like, when someone pops out of nowhere, seems significant for a second and gives you the feeling they're going to reappear, and they're never mentioned again. Or when an item is given to someone that has no significance to the story. I just don't like false foreshadowing. Something is likely to happen -- and then it doesn't.

What was I talking about again?

oh yeah, wally. Ther're alot of things I liked about it. Awesome movie. u shewd c it.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2008, 09:58:15 PM »

Adam's mention of Bug's Life reminded me.
Antz traumatized me completey. Cry

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Saladan0
Level 1

I am so Indie I beat Diamond Rider on Legendary.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2008, 10:14:34 PM »

I was scared for LIFE when I saw that general dude burst into flames.

my god, I dont remember most of that movie because my child brain blocked most of it.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2008, 10:25:56 PM »

my god, I dont remember most of that movie because my child brain blocked most of it.
ET had the same effect on me. Because I'm old. Gentleman
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2008, 12:53:38 AM »

I just saw this today.. i think its probably my second favorite of the excellent pixar films.  great art style/characterization, and a wonderful emotional rollercoaster.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2008, 09:33:08 AM »

Don't see it after a breakup.

So... lonely...
Their love... so... beautiful... Cry

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic