Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411610 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 01:26:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWomen as Background Decoration: Part 2
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Women as Background Decoration: Part 2  (Read 20614 times)
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2014, 04:45:05 PM »

Let's do an experiment.

Say you were developing a game that's supposed to basically be Super Metroid, and you were going to hire someone to be your company's face to the 2D Metroid fan community, who are backing and anxiously awaiting your game.  They want to be able to understand exactly what your studio is doing and provide feedback that will get to you safely.  What would you do:

a) Hire someone who's played and has a deep knowledge of the 2D Metroid games
b) Hire your employee's girlfriend who has
 never played a Metroid game

Also, this is what the backers were paying for:
Quote from: MN9 Kickstarter
Every aspect of development—art, level design, music, programming, etc.—is being handled by veteran Japanese game creators with extensive experience in the genre, and with Mega Man in particular, all the way up to and including the project’s leader, Keiji Inafune himself!

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2014, 04:54:42 PM »

Every aspect of development is not every aspect of production and pr is outside development, basic reading skills!

Boreal OUT! which hunt is not argument  Hand Point Left Huh?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2014, 05:07:16 PM »

http://epn.tv/all/spotlight/dames-making-games-profile-video/

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2014, 05:08:39 PM »

Every aspect of development is not every aspect of production and pr is outside development, basic reading skills!

Boreal OUT! which hunt is not argument  Hand Point Left Huh?
When did I mention once in that post anything about being female or feminist?

ink.inc
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2014, 05:14:10 PM »

hhhhh
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »

Boreal OUT! which hunt is not argument  Hand Point Left Huh?
When did I mention once in that post anything about being female or feminist?
Glad you ask because I didn't mention it either
I direct you to the definition of witch hunt

EDIT:
Speaking of PR
This is game PR now

The Quinspiracy idn't making it better to the outside world thrust me
The horde are shooting themselves (and us) in the foot

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2014, 05:41:21 PM »

Ok, I didn't have a full understanding of the term witch hunt as used in argumentation.

But I don't understand how what I'm doing is in any way using scare tactics or making up evidence.

BarchKing
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2014, 05:55:17 PM »

this is a good video.

I quite enjoyed this one

@CesarD8 I agree with you, but its pretty rare for games to do it in a way that doesnt feel cliche
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 06:00:41 PM by BarchKing » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2014, 05:58:17 PM »

@boreal
You made a point about someone, in which I tangentially mention it was bad PR for PR person while condemning the disproportionate hate. But you stick calling her as if it is her mistake, because if anything she can't hired herself into this mess she need to be hired by the boss, and the boss is megaman creator, who is safe from both criticism and harassment ...

SO who is calling about making up evidence and scare tactics, I bet you are not use to this expression, a witch hunt in the common use case is about singling someone out insistently. The case is done move on.

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2014, 06:05:14 PM »

@boreal
You made a point about someone, in which I tangentially mention it was bad PR for PR person while condemning the disproportionate hate. But you stick calling her as if it is her mistake, because if anything she can't hired herself into this mess she need to be hired by the boss, and the boss is megaman creator, who is safe from both criticism and harassment ...

SO who is calling about making up evidence and scare tactics, I bet you are not use to this expression, a witch hunt in the common use case is about singling someone out insistently. The case is done move on.

Oh, it's not her mistake for being hired.  I see what you're getting at., and Inafune (or whoever actually hired her) deserves a lot of the blame.  I don't support Mighty No. 9 at all since the incident.  But it is her fault for trying to get the job in the first place and subsequently using it as a platform for her own agenda.  As the "community manager" she silenced opinions that didn't agree with her pointless and selfish plan to make Beck a girl.

On that point, I wouldn't have an issue if Beck was written as a girl in the first place.  But when someone who took a job (she wasn't forced to do it, remember that) that she didn't deserve tries to override the opinions of both the fans and the director, that's when things get messy.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2014, 06:08:05 PM »

Facepalm Facepalm

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2014, 06:11:16 PM »

I was editing my post, I posted that prematurely.

Also, trying to get the last word by telling me to move on is pathetic.  And thanks for all the insults.  I hope I don't get lynched for writing what I want in my games without worrying about gender misrepresentation or whatever you guys can come up with, because first and foremost I am not a misogynist.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2014, 06:28:09 PM »

This a thread about gender representation of course within that context things will come under scrutiny but you seems obsess in bringing people down and furthering the discussion, aka they are not brought up to make a point but because they are what you think is bad person TM.

I didn't insult you either.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2014, 06:31:08 PM »

I am not a misogynist.

oh but you are

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2014, 06:39:04 PM »

I'll hire somebody who has never played platformers at all as a community manager just to make people rage.
ink.inc
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2014, 06:41:29 PM »

But it is her fault for trying to get the job in the first place and subsequently using it as a platform for her own agenda.  As the "community manager" she silenced opinions that didn't agree with her pointless and selfish plan to make Beck a girl.

good lord
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2014, 06:47:52 PM »

How am I being hypocritical?  There's a difference between game writing and game journalism.  I'm not concerned with trying to appeal to a demographic that I can't appeal to without going against my vision, but when someone else tries to force me to change my vision so that I can push their agenda, that's when it becomes nasty.

If feminists are so concerned about gender misrepresentation then why don't they make their own games that can also stand up to the other games in terms of core game mechanics.  I don't hate Gone Home or Depression Quest because of their subject material, I hate them because they're non-games stealing the spotlight of fun games.

Also, yes, I would hate someone like Dina if they were a man.  I don't know why you keep turning my arguments which have nothing to do with gender aside from context into misogyny.

Blambo
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »

If feminists are so concerned about gender misrepresentation then why don't they make their own games that can also stand up to the other games in terms of core game mechanics.  I don't hate Gone Home or Depression Quest because of their subject material, I hate them because they're non-games stealing the spotlight of fun games.

why does everybody have to think what you find fun to be fun?
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2014, 06:53:47 PM »

How am I being hypocritical?  There's a difference between game writing and game journalism.  I'm not concerned with trying to appeal to a demographic that I can't appeal to without going against my vision, but when someone else tries to force me to change my vision so that I can push their agenda, that's when it becomes nasty.

Also, yes, I would hate someone like Dina if they were a man.  I don't know why you keep turning my arguments which have nothing to do with gender aside from context into misogyny.

dum. As someone who does engage with subhumans, you're being an idiot.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2014, 07:06:56 PM »

the straw is strong in this one Who, Me?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic