Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 01:32:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWomen as Background Decoration: Part 2
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Women as Background Decoration: Part 2  (Read 20618 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2014, 09:30:12 AM »

Because I don't remember such accusation of:
- not having played a game
- skills
- jobs through connection
- not having played megaman ( or insert big franchise)
- pushing agenda

levied against any men at all

In facts all of the above are rampant, especially skills because there is measure of what makes good skills, there will always be someone with better skills and there is plenty people who succeed with less, and which skills?

also
http://thefineyoungcapitalists.tumblr.com/post/96169860190/on-equality-and-differences

Quote from: TheFineYoungCapitalist
On Equality And Differences

Men and women will never be completely equal. Men will always excel at some things and Women will excel at others. The same can be said for genetic differences that define the human race.
What we need to make sure is that people aren’t defined into these roles, and people with ideas and skills can do what their best at for the benefit of all society.

I seem to get a lot of criticism on this post but I still don’t understand why. When I ask people they say I should downplay the role that genetics plays in a person’s development, then they curse at me, then ban me on twitter. I want to expand why they are wrong and why video games help to lower this genetic divide.:

Screamy

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2014, 09:41:19 AM »

you'd be surprised. I think the problem isn't the subject itself, but how you present it.

yeah because its not like gamers get super angry/defensive at even the slightest hint of anything related to feminism. not like they have created an atmosphere where some ppl are already afraid to speak out. not like the community manager for mighty no 9 drew an angry internet mob just for 1. being a woman and 2. identifying as a feminist. the only way this is ever going to work out is if the vocal majority of male gamerz stop being gigantic babbys which doesnt seem likely to happen anytime soon.

Why is it that every criticism directed against a woman (this applies in the Zoe Quinn debacle as well) is immediately discarded by the fedora defense force as misogyny?  She was bashed because she had no skills, got the job through sheer connections, had never played fucking Megaman, and was pushing an agenda on top of all that.

people dug up dirt about her after they found out she was a feminist. she hadn't even done anything up to that point. literally 1000s of people get jobs through nepotism, why did gamers focus on this 1 woman (who also happens to be a feminist)?

there are plenty of men in the game industry who don't play the games they develop and no one gives a shit or even bothers to ask. besides she isn't even a dev but a community manager.

also "pushing an agenda" lol. as if reactionary "anti sjws" aren't "pushing an agenda".
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2014, 09:44:27 AM »

BTW this is not about zoe quinn she is just happen to be the catalyst of a situation that have been boiling under pressure since at least 10 years ago, read Leigh Alexander then and now and how she did a 180° on her first sentiment, aka being hopeful about gaming and embracing the identity of gamer going as long as defending them for example in the case of female representation.

This, look at it, this what 10 years of abuse do to you:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/224400/Gamers_dont_have_to_be_your_audience_Gamers_are_over.php

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2014, 09:45:57 AM »

Because I don't remember such accusation of:
- not having played a game
- skills
- jobs through connection
- not having played megaman ( or insert big franchise)
- pushing agenda

levied against any men at all

Again with this oh-so common practice of labeling my criticism as misogyny.  Had Dina been a man she (he?) would have gotten the same flak.  You know why?  Because the studio neglected the core demographic (Megaman fans) by hiring someone who had never played Megaman to be the face to the community.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2014, 09:59:16 AM »

Did I call you a misogynist?

s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2014, 10:24:53 AM »

Did I call you a misogynist?
But you thought it in your head, admit it!!!!!!!!!!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2014, 10:33:34 AM »

You haven't been on encyclopedia dramatica to understand the difference.

For me he is just a chilling bystander who look at this from is usual channel and who jump to conclusion.

Meanwhile I do homework and look at all over the internet to get the bigger picture, inform by years of observing trends and reading cross checked material from any perspective and weight them.

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2014, 10:38:47 AM »

Yeah, my pal Ruth has never played Megaman either, she's only got this membership to the "Royal Institute of British Architects" (whatever that is) and so I don't think she should work in the gaming industry either. Amateur.

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Blambo
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2014, 10:43:10 AM »

Yeah, my pal Ruth has never played Megaman either, she's only got this membership to the "Royal Institute of British Architects" (whatever that is) and so I don't think she should work in the gaming industry either. Amateur.
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2014, 10:45:19 AM »

She beats me at Settlers of Catan as well. Not a single redeeming feature.

I feel so bad writing sarcasm online - Ruth is awesome!

ink.inc
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2014, 11:23:53 AM »

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2014, 12:10:09 PM »

Even Dude Huge is down with Anita: http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/45150472512/anonymous-internet-boy-taliban-tropes

I thought that was posted recently, but apparently it's from 2013.
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2014, 01:21:42 PM »

If she's never played or had an interest in Megaman games (which she said publicly), why is she working as the community PR manager to interact with a bunch of fans who backed the game because it promised to be a successor to Megaman?

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2014, 01:24:37 PM »

jesus fucking christ

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »

If she's never played or had an interest in Megaman games (which she said publicly), why is she working as the community PR manager to interact with a bunch of fans who backed the game because it promised to be a successor to Megaman?
Community manager is not really a job which needs huge history knowledge about games, but instead an okay communication skill, to help the talk between devs and the fans and vice versa. But picking up someone who has knowledge on the topic is always a better choice. For example Capcom had Seth Killian as a community manager for SF4, who is a well known tournament player.
After all I think it's more fortunate to pick up someone as community manager who is already involved in the actual community, Mighty no.9 creators went the other way, and there's obviously place for critism. The sad thing is there are way too many idiots who can't keep it civilised, and there's the other side keeping every criticising person under one negative label.

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2014, 02:29:17 PM »

Because PR != Megaman.

Do you think the PR team to The Guardians Of The Galaxy have read all the Rocket Raccoon comics? NO. Absofuckinglutely not, that would be an abhorrent waste of time and I don't think they would have got the job if they had. I imagine they spent their time reading psychology, language and (can you imagine) public relations books instead.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2014, 03:07:05 PM »

You can hire somebody who has studied psychology and has read the Rocket Raccoon books.

Megaman is not an obscure series - it would not be difficult to find somebody with both PR skills and a history with the series, especially since this is a new studio hiring specifically for this one position. Picking somebody who would admit they've never played a single Megaman game was a very poor move.

The problem with the criticism was the intensity of it - not that the criticism was unjustified.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2014, 03:08:32 PM »

Btw terrible PR move to say that, ironical for PR person
Backlash was goodawful and going into place it should not have

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2014, 03:47:08 PM »

Gosh /o\

I played Mega Man, does that mean I'm a worthy person? Also I played many more games (e.g. Sonic, Mario, Battle City, Earthworm Jim, Lunar Ball, Tetris, Mortal Kombat, etc.) before I played Mega Man, does that mean I wasn't worthy until I played it?
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2014, 03:54:51 PM »

Even Dude Huge is down with Anita: http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/45150472512/anonymous-internet-boy-taliban-tropes

I thought that was posted recently, but apparently it's from 2013.

And it's still valid.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic