Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411616 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 10:12:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Which of these two spider models look better?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Which of these two spider models look better?  (Read 2946 times)
Sinci1
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2020, 12:22:42 PM »

Hello there, so I'm modeling a crystal-spider for my game, and I made to similar designs that I really like, however, I can't really pick between the two, the first one I think looks more spider-like, however, the second one looks better in my opinion, so I'd thought I'd post here for feedback.

Here's the first one

And here's how it will look like in-game

And here's the second one

And here's how it will look like in-game

As I said I think the second one looks better but the first one looks more like a spider, but what do you think?

P.S: I'm not that good at modeling, however, if you have any feedback on how I could improve this design then please let me know!

EDIT: after looking at the art sub-forum some more I have found out the workshop sub-subforum, so I think I should have posted this there, but I'm not 100% sure, so if a mod sees it and I should have posted there then please move it there, thank you!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 01:54:07 PM by Sinci1 » Logged
nova++
Level 4

Real life space alien (not fake)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 07:18:42 PM »

What perspective will this be viewed from? Depending on that, I feel as though the eyes might be a bit too low on the second option. If it's supposed to be quite large, with the player looking up at it, then the lower eyes would work better - as if it's looking down at you. Otherwise, looking slightly up is where I'd lean.

Dune
Level 0

Hey!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 07:44:28 PM »

I think the reason why the second one looks a little better than the first one, even though it isn't as spider-like, is because it has a stronger silhouette in profile since the legs are lower and not overlapping the ice protrusions or the mandibles. I think if you create another version that is sort of a middle ground between the two--body is a lighter blue than the ice protrusions, legs are low, eyes are a little higher--that may work best. Also, I think you should keep that ice shape at the base of the ice protrusion that is present in the first one but not the second one, it frames it nicely, otherwise it seems like the ice starts coming out of the spider's back pretty abruptly.

This base shape, I mean.

Hope this helps!
Sinci1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 11:37:06 AM »

@ NovaSilisko

The perspective will probably be from the side, as shown in the second pictures, and you're right, the eyes are a bit too low on the second one.

@ Dune

This is honestly really valuable feedback, thanks! I honestly didn't think of the silhouette but now that you mention it, I do think that's the reason why the second one looks better, and all of your other feedback is really valuable!

With the feedback I got I changed the design to this:

In-game:

Honestly, I think this version looks way better, and it's more spider-like! But there's always room for improvement, so if any of you have feedback with this design you'd like to give, I'd love to hear it!
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 12:26:20 PM »

To say the truth, they are basically the same, it is just a matter of taste, maybe I prefer the second one for the color and the legs, they seems to represent a bit better the weight of the body.

Games:

Sinci1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 01:01:57 PM »

Hey! I apologize for not responding earlier, but I wanted to say that I appriciate your feedback!  Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic