Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 03:59:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsXNA 8-Bit RPG Engine
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: XNA 8-Bit RPG Engine  (Read 1146 times)
F8_Sean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:55:43 AM »

I tried posting a bit of a postmortem on this project after DBP, but no one responded to it. After taking a break, graduating from college, moving into my new place, etc., I'm finally coming back to this project with the intent of finishing it as an engine, rather than a game, and I'm ditching the procedural generation angle for now.

Videos:
DBP Demo
http://www.youtube.com/embed/4oaFvbjSEho

Old engine demo with stock art
http://www.youtube.com/embed/CfiO7wYR9vY

My goal is to have a complete general-purpose RPG engine that runs on the XBLIG and Windows Phone 7/8 platforms, with a port to MonoGame down the line. Right now, I have maps, characters, dialog, vehicles, shops, items, menus, and saved games implemented in mostly-working order. Everything could use improvement, especially to make content production and asset management easier, and I need to add a completely new combat system (friend was responsible for the old one, didn't work out).

I'm tired of getting hung up on game design and story, so I'm just going to recreate Dragon Quest as my demo game to build the engine around. When that's playable from start to finish, I'll have reached my first milestone. It's not going to be a 1:1 recreation, I'll be having fun doing certain things differently, but it gives me a full set of maps, data, and game flow to build around. Once that's done, I can focus on something original.

Blogging it here might give me the motivation I need, so any encouragement or criticism is appreciated.

I like programming odd things. If you're looking to collaborate on something C#/XNA/MonoGame/PSM, hit me up!

Blog | Portfolio | Twitter
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »

will this run on ios devices as well as pc, nokia, etc?

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
poe
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 03:46:54 PM »

Quote from: Monogame's Website
MonoGame is an Open Source implementation of the Microsoft XNA 4 Framework. Our goal is to allow XNA developers on Xbox 360, Windows & Windows Phone to port their games to the iOS, Android, Mac OS X, Linux and Windows 8 Metro. Windows Phone 8, OUYA and PlayStation Mobile development is currently in progress.

I believe the platforms that are currently in progress work for the most part already. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic