Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411583 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 05:28:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamescostikyan's playthisthing
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: costikyan's playthisthing  (Read 3992 times)
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2007, 02:17:39 PM »

http://playthisthing.com/

greg costikyan's review-a-day blog

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 04:17:02 PM »

How long d'you reckon he'll last?  Tongue

Seems too "fast burn" to be a viable blog. To me. Good luck to him!

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 09:40:18 PM »

One lengthy review per day does get tedious pretty fast (from the writer's pov).

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 10:45:28 PM »

Seems like this is something that could be tied into Manifesto Games instead of being it's own site?  Looks cool, though.  And the latest review is by Emily Short!
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 11:07:57 PM »

Ugh. That banner pains me. Physically. My spleeeeeeen Angry.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 05:05:27 AM »

Is Manifesto doing alright? I did not hear much from them after the initial media blitz, other than the free Plasmaworm.

princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 07:51:05 AM »

He'll never keep up a review a day on his own. Maybe one a week might be reasonable. But every day? I think not.

Cas Smiley

Movius
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 08:37:21 AM »

Everything I've read by Costikyan seems to have a sort of "Why waste money on a generic $100 game, when you can waste money on 10 generic $10 games" attitude to it. This doesn't seem to be any different.

Theres not really anything in these reviews that makes the games sound compelling, regardless of how good they actually may be.
GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 09:22:39 AM »

Seems like this is something that could be tied into Manifesto Games instead of being it's own site?  Looks cool, though.  And the latest review is by Emily Short!
Well actually this is linked to right from the top of Manifesto's main site.

Also, I heard nothing about free Plasmaworm, but that sounds like a good idea.  I thought it was a decent game when I played it.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 03:08:24 PM »

Well actually this is linked to right from the top of Manifesto's main site.

That's what I'm saying.  It's drawing people away from the site that sells the games.

Quote from: costik
[W]e wanted to celebrate the full range of creativity in games outside the mainstream, including games that we ourselves don't necessarily sell--free games, games from people who haven't signed up to sell here, and so on. Play This Thing lets us do that, without confusing the Manifesto Games mission unduly. Of the five games on the front page at launch, for instance, only two are ones we sell.

So Greg is admitting that he can't sell games and review them on the same space, but his solution is more confusing, in my opinion: a separate review site that distracts his potential customers with freeware downloads.

Is Manifesto doing alright? I did not hear much from them after the initial media blitz, other than the free Plasmaworm.

No, the word on the street, and from Greg himself, is that the site is not doing well at all.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 04:41:04 PM »

Oh wow, Lock and Key! Another Cadre masterpiece - brilliantly written, and cleverly executed. Did anybody give it a try after reading Emily Short's review?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 03:40:22 AM »

I think the reason they separated the two sites is because of complaints (including a few on this forum) that the reviews they had for the games on their site were often too critical and in-depth and not aimed at selling games. They apparently agreed with that, but wanted to keep reviewing games in that in-depth critical fashion, so they started a separate site for it unconnected to Manifesto. I think it was a good idea.

The writer for Immortal Defense and I actually met Greg Costikyan and his family and another person who works for Manifesto (Bill Folstom) about two weeks ago, Greg lives in NYC near the WTC site and I live about half hour away so he invited us to dinner.

He's a pretty nice guy -- he seemed like he had drunk a little too much white wine by the end of the dinner ^_^ but he was a great host. He had walls stacked with books; I never met anyone who owned more books than I do until I met him, he easily has at least three times as many as I do.

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 05:02:27 PM »

Those who asked about how Manifesto was doing and if this was or not heavily related to MG can get some more insight from teh costik himself here:

http://www.manifestogames.com/node/4008

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 05:12:49 PM »

Quote from: that Manifesto Games article
"The Word," our pages with reviews and articles about games, never got a lot of traffic--and in any event, reviews there sat a little uneasily on a site that was trying to sell you stuff.

I think that basically sums up why I never bothered with Manifesto Games. playthisthing, though, I've added to my daily rounds. I've been pleasantly surprised to find that it's still an interesting read more than a month in, even though I've been familiar with most of the stuff they've posted so far. I hope it helps the portal do a bit better.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic