Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411587 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 09:19:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIndependent Games Summit access?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Independent Games Summit access?  (Read 5572 times)
Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: November 09, 2007, 10:25:39 AM »

Does anyone know how we can register for the Independent Games Summit next February in San Francisco?

As far as I can tell, the only pass that gives access to it is the most expensive "All Access Pass" (regular price:  $1995). All the other passes specifically exclude the Indie Games Summit.  Shocked

Tale of Tales now creating Sunset
bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »

There's the Summits and Tutorials Pass, for $650. And after you've visited whatever you're interested, you'll probably be able to resell the pass.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 10:49:36 AM »

there's a 650$ "summit pass" that gives you access to all the summits and tutorials.

that's right.
650$
650$ for a summit for indies.

no offence to all involved but this is retarded.
i really wanted to go but now its completely out of the question.

simoniker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 11:54:38 AM »

No offence taken, Phil. As mentioned in my GameSetWatch post announcing the first speakers:

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2007/11/2008_indie_games_summit_confirm.php

- Because the somewhat over-complex GDC pass structure has been simplified this year, there isn't an Indie Games Summit-specific pass any more, rather a Summit-wide pass. ($650)

- But we're beefing up the professional-focused content to make sure attending the IGS is good value for those professional game developers who do go.

- And we'll make sure IGF finalists have good access to the Summit this year (for free).

- Also, dollar-challenged indies can still check out the IGF Expo/Awards itself and educational events with the Expo Pass. ($195). You can also check out the IGF Pavilion and attend educational events on Friday alone with a student pass ($75). So you don't have to miss out on a lot of the non-Summit content.

I do have a lot of sympathy with the problem, and for a pure indie summit, it is expensive. But as you'll see as we roll out the programming, it's really intended somewhat for a professional audience - companies like Torpex, or Q Games, or Telltale. This is at least partly based on the kind of audience we saw last year - who were overwhelmingly on the existing professional side.

I'd like to see another event in the calendar that is major, less expensively priced and caters to smaller indies. But the economics are really rough in terms of putting on events, which is why we haven't seen many yet - the Independent Games Conference in Texas this month is one of those.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 12:00:14 PM »

well, now i really hope i get nominated.

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 12:31:23 PM »

I don't think anybody doubts your nomation, fish.  Wink

Thank you for pointing out the Summits and Tutorials Pass. I personally have no interest in any of the other summits or tutorials. And I do want to attend some of the lectures in the main conference.

The registration pricing feels like they're making you pay for a whole bunch of things that you don't need. A pass for all the summits at $650 or a pass for the entire event at $1495 is probably good value for money if you want to attend all of these. But even if that would be possible logistically, I don't think many people would want to. So it ends up feeling like you paying for a lot for things you have no use for.

$650 is indeed very expensive considering the economics of indie gaming. Or have we levelled up? Is this the Professional Independent Games Summit (P.I.G.S.? Wink )? And will there be a cheaper Hobbyist Independent Games Summit next year?  Wink

Seriously, I think it's a pity. Last year was the first time I attended the GDC in the USA. And it really felt like Indie Games were gaining in importance. Everybody seemed to be paying attention to them. I hope this year's pricing policy does not change that.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 12:38:39 PM »

Is this the Professional Independent Games Summit (P.I.G.S.? Wink )?.

omglolz.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 04:11:08 PM »

Hmm... I don't know if I want to do a talk there if the audience is going to be a bunch of P.I.G.S. I mean some of them are "game development veterans, each with over a decade of leadership experience in the entertainment, game, and online industries." What could they possibly learn from guys like us?

This makes me think that someone should start an indie games summit that caters to... indies.

TIGSCon anyone?

Hey wait, $650 USD is only $604 CAD. :D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 04:18:53 PM by Alec » Logged

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 04:43:39 PM »

And 440 Euros!  :D :D

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 04:47:59 PM »

And only 73313 Yen!  :D :D :D :D

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 05:21:29 PM »

Some of the comments here are awesome:

"Oh snap, thanks Mr. Blow. It's like you stick a knife in my chest and twist, and then rewind time, untwist pull out, then fast forward time, and stab again."
-Kyle Gabler

frosty
Level 1

ice cold & refreshing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 06:23:45 PM »

I never thought I'd be too small to be Indie, but it sure feels like it right now. I'm not sure I could stomach another presentation on "how to innovate" anyway.

A TIGSCon, on the other hand, would be great.

All you need to start with is a bunch of tables with power/network drops for people to show off their stuff, and a few kegs. Maybe some board gaming. Maybe have an on-the-spot game-making event.

I would much prefer that than to sit at the little kids table of GDC.  No overblown awards ceremonies, overpriced conference rooms at Moscone, or patronizing suits from Microsoft, Turner, et al.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 07:20:30 PM »

Yeah, all you'd really need for TIGSCon is a room and some awesome people I think. Just charge enough to cover the cost of renting the space.

Plus everyone can crash at Derek's after. (lol)

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 07:32:10 PM »

Just out of curiosity, who attends IGS exactly?

RichCI
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 07:42:17 PM »

Toss another couple of names into the "Needlessly expensive" hat. 
When the pricing and passes were first announced, I was really hoping that there'd at least be a reasonable alumni discount on the Summits and Tutorials pass, but unfortunately, it looks like it's staying "N/A."

I suppose it would be worth if it we were really interested in the other Summits or in attending any tutorials, but most of that stuff just doesn't apply to us, or isn't something we need to focus on at the moment.

While we'd very much like to go again this year, it's going to be rough to front that kind of cash.  Some of the financial points raised in the GSW comments were spot on, however.  Really, it seems like CMP rakes in all kinds of cash for this thing.  I realize the facility rental, as well as equipment, employee salaries, etc must cost a lot, but the fairly high cost of admission still doesn't seem justified.  Additionally, I would imagine a not-insignificant amount of the cost of the event gets absorbed by companies renting booth space. 

I suppose an issue of balance could possibly come into play, as well.  I mean, if the price is too low, they'll have... too many(?) people, possibly.  Maybe it's partially a limiter, to keep the smaller companies from attending in droves.  But then, they'd probably make even more money, and be able to compensate for the larger crowds. Although, then they might need more events, to spread out the attendees some more... I could keep going... SimLargeGameConference, anyone?

Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 11:55:03 PM »

You can volunteer to work the conference. For 20 hours of effort, you get to attend the whole enchilada.

http://www.gdconf.com/volunteers/caregistration.php

You have to make your way to the SF bay. They have a special room rate for volunteers at the hotels, unless you can find crash space near the BART.

I attended the IGS last year, by working the entire session. The volunteer organizers really try to ensure you get to see at least one or two sessions of your choice.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 12:03:20 AM »

Why aren't there any indie conferences on the *east* coast of the US? It seems like the west coast gets them all (mainly California and Texas). Anyone want to set one up in NYC or something?

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 01:07:50 AM »

We're going to publish an interview with Simon Carless soon that explains some of his thinking. We've been working on it for months now. But it's almost ready to go.

I actually don't agree that the Independent Games Summit should be a seperate event. And I do approve of Mr. Carless' desire to stimulate a more professional attitude in indie games development. As part of the big Game Developers Conference, the Independent Games Summit gets a lot of credibility and goodwill from the main industry. And, judging by how indie developers "don't mind" seeing their games published on XBox or Playstation, this link is very important.

The only problem is the pricing scheme which forces you to buy acccess to a lot of things you don't want. The simple solution is a seperate Independent Games Summit pass (which would obviously cost less than a All Summits All Tutorials pass).

A discount for people who entered in the IGF would be nice too...  Wink

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 06:41:15 AM »

$650 is indeed very expensive considering the economics of indie gaming. Or have we levelled up? Is this the Professional Independent Games Summit (P.I.G.S.? Wink )?

"CultuurInvest will support the production of [Tale Of Tales'] upcoming indie horror game The Path with an investment of 90000 Euros. CultuurInvest is a new Flemish investment fund that exclusively finances companies and projects in the cultural industries. It was founded by the Flemish Ministry of Culture, supported by the Ministry of Finance & Budget and the Minister of Economy & Innovation. The Path is the first game they are investing in."
Link

Congrats!

You are now a PIGDev.

oink!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 06:43:00 AM by Alec » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 06:48:08 AM »

Shocked

Does that investment have to be repaid (like giving them a share of the profits) or is it more of a grant?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic