Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411710 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 09:40:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesXBL Community Games renamed to "XBL Indie Games"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: XBL Community Games renamed to "XBL Indie Games"  (Read 12303 times)
Glaiel-Gamer
« on: June 11, 2009, 08:54:14 AM »

http://kotaku.com/5287078/xbox-live-community-games-renamed

REALLY microsoft?

You know, there's plenty of indie games on XBLA, methinks this is just a subtle way of microsoft trying to put the little guy down, so they can go "hey, xbla is for the big people, go have fun at the kids table"
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 08:59:14 AM »

A second note, It seems like microsoft is trying to cash in on the "indie" label seeing as it's grown so much in the past year with a lot of hit stuff.

But the end result is they're projecting a lot of crap into the public eye under the label "indie", which might devalue the term.
Movius
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 09:00:35 AM »

to quote from my last act on tigsource IRC before sleep.

<Xander> and what does reetva think of Xbox LIVE now changing community games to 'Indie games'?
<reetva> Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarf!
<reetva> Wait.
<reetva> Is that actually happening?
<Xander> http://kotaku.com/5287078/xbox-live-community-games-renamed - yep, you popped in just after the link
<worstplay> it's kotaku
<fartronomicon> EXCLUSIVE
<reetva> Microsoft does not realize that there are some indie games on XBLA, it seems.
<Xander> I really don't like the association
* Slade has quit (Ping timeout: 180 seconds)
<Xander> That would seem to indicate that neither Dishwasher or Castle Crashers among others aren't indie
<reetva> Yeah, exactly.
<Xander> and that the other 'indie' games would be sitting alongside such classic titles as 'Clock 24' and 'Fireplace'
* reetva_ ([email protected]) has joined #tigirc
* reetva has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
<Movius> THE OFFICIAL INDIE GAMES USE OF GENRE NAME PANEL WILL HEAR OF THIS
* reetva_ is now known as reetva
* jw ([email protected]) has joined #tigirc
<reetva> So indie games is now a genre?
<Xander> We have one of those?
* reetva is so confused.
<Movius> yes
<Xander> Is that like 'World Cinema' as a genre?
<Movius> and they will hear of this
<Movius> after i get some sleep
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:04:01 AM »

Who cares? Are you really that insecure about how you make games? Just make them and people will like them or not.

This website seems more about arguments about the industry than making games.

EDIT: It's sort of off-topic but it's getting annoying to me.
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 09:09:32 AM »

Who cares?

I care because I'd like to get my current project on XBLA but I don't want microsoft going "Hey guess what you have your own section now so leave us the fuck alone!"

in which case, hello nintendo/sony
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 09:11:19 AM »

What's wrong with that section? I thought people prided themselves in being indie around here, and if the indies are building up steam with people and the media as you said, they'll still cover you.
Dustin Gunn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »

Are you pre-whining about a policy change that hasn't even happened? Microsoft is not going to ban indie games from the XBLA.
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 09:16:17 AM »

Yes, MS is evil etc. etc.

Assuming that, why would they want to "force" indies to publish through a service they make very little money on when they can put them on XBLA and make even more cash.  

Less sensationalism please, it's just marketing.  

Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 09:29:54 AM »

It's funny, on the XNA forums developers are actually more positive about the name change. Well, other than some people needing new web domains. I dunno, I think the main thing was that XBLCG was just a bit of a mouthful to say.

I moreso wish that Microsoft would stop labeling everything with the word "Live" as that's what causes more confusion with people, XBox Live is their online service, then XBox Live Arcade is a set of games, then there's XBox Live Community/Indie Games. I know people who just lump it all into "XBox Live" as the game title, and just think online is "multiplayer" and don't associate it with the word Live at all.

http://www.stegersaurus.com - Yet another blog about games
Mega Monster Mania - Procedural, fast paced dungeon running
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 09:40:52 AM »

Well if it manages to trivialize the ridiculous "indie games" label so much that people stop using it. It will be a good thing.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 09:47:32 AM »

I think it will make people take XNA games a little more serious, as a XNA developer I don't care what the section is called makes no difference to how I develop the games. I was more interested in the ratings system being introduced, which means I'll be able to filter out a lot of the crap

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 10:19:34 AM »

But the end result is they're projecting a lot of crap into the public eye under the label "indie", which might devalue the term.
This. Sad

I'd hate for someone to associate the subpar Community Games so strongly with independent gaming that they don't bother trying to find any good independent games for other platforms.

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 10:25:24 AM »

This. Sad

I'd hate for someone to associate the subpar Community Games so strongly with independent gaming that they don't bother trying to find any good independent games for other platforms.

Ya, which happened to "flash games" already, which might be why I'm so against it. I HATE people asking, "well what REAL games have you made" when I say I do flash games.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 10:41:01 AM »

This reminds me of how award shows create "best animated _" awards just so they never have to give any 'real' awards to those movies/shows.

Captain_404
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »

This. Sad

Ya, which happened to "flash games" already, which might be why I'm so against it. I HATE people asking, "well what REAL games have you made" when I say I do flash games.

I second this sentiment.

Obviously the only solution now is to change ourselves from being "indie" game makers to being "njABp7aPUF;fg" game makers. Let's see you market that name, Microsoft.

Honestly though, I don't see this as a huge deal. The reason flash games get a bad rap is the fact that most flash games are actually bad. I feel that the quality of regular indie games is good enough and has enough of a culture built up around it already as that this won't really affect it. Or so I hope.
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 10:49:01 AM »

Honestly though, I don't see this as a huge deal. The reason flash games get a bad rap is the fact that most flash games are actually bad. I feel that the quality of regular indie games is good enough and has enough of a culture built up around it already as that this won't really affect it. Or so I hope.

Ya and most flash games are indie too, your point? Most indie is crap through that logic too, which isn't exactly false. You just don't hear about the crap. Microsoft is bringing the crap into the limelight, which they already did through "community games", it's just that not they're being labeled as indie.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 10:58:07 AM »

i always thought it was funny how MS originally referred to community games as the "youtube of gaming".

YOUTUBE IS FULL OF SHIT.

ever tried to find something you're interested in on youtube?
you wont find it.
all you'll find are dozens and dozens of edited versions of what you were looking with some shitty music put in, or spliced with anime footage, or some dude talking about sonic the hedgehog.

well, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

and now all this is indie.

great.

c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 10:59:30 AM »

I'm just happy they finally plan to add user ratings. Welcome to 1999 guys!

Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 11:07:24 AM »

It seems like there's some confusion here. Indie games have always had bad games. Microsoft isn't giving indies a bad name by putting bad games into the limelight... they are just making indie games more accessible to general audiences. Whether there's crap there or not depends on who submits to it. The "special" titles are still the ones that will get real media attention, because for the most part sites ignore the majority of XNA games anyway. Although there is the fun of laughing at the absurdity of massage programs, that's getting attention because it's different from what we normally see as games. If you make the next Braid, you won't suddenly be shunned because you're "indie" and Microsoft is using that term as well. The crap turns people away specifically from Microsoft's distribution platform, not from all small-team produced games and distribution platforms.

http://www.stegersaurus.com - Yet another blog about games
Mega Monster Mania - Procedural, fast paced dungeon running
Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 12:12:14 PM »

How DARE they do a thing! I can't be happy about anything! I love anime and own at least one wallscroll!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic