Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411678 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 09:29:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesRichard Garriott (Ultima) talking about the indie games movement
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Richard Garriott (Ultima) talking about the indie games movement  (Read 6240 times)
falsion
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 08:41:17 PM »

My fault really, the topic had already gone off topic so I thought I might as well say something that at least has something to do with Richard Garriott here.

So what were you guys talking about before the topic went off topic and now we went off topic again?
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2009, 12:21:21 AM »

TBH I didn't like any of the Ultimas until VII. Then I didn't like any of the Ultimas after VII. UO is pretty cool though.

you fail at RPG gaming Sad

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Kepa
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2009, 01:04:52 AM »

Is this guy as nutty as I heard he was?

i haven't heard much about that -- i've heard that will wright is a bit eccentric though (for instance, he has a robot workshop)

I'm with Paul here.  He isn't nutty at all.  He's a little too far along the geek spectrum for his tastes to match up with mine, but he's a perfectly reasonable geek guy.    Are people here saying if they had the time they wouldn't build a castle with secret passages (or something similar) and get involved in making robots?

Making robots: Geeky.  Or would that be nerdy?

Building a castle: Eccentric.  How eccentric depends on the number of secret passages, I forget the exact mathematical formula though.
His pepper automaton bit: Nutty
The leather catsuit thing: It was the 80's, let's give the guy a break already.
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2009, 01:11:38 AM »

Lord British is the man, I remember him looking not too different on the back of the box (or manual?) of Ultima 7 dressed as a king.  I guess he ages well.

Sounds like he respects what indies do and gets it.  But yea, stop flying to outer space and make a new Ultima.

undertech
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2009, 07:37:50 AM »

TBH I didn't like any of the Ultimas until VII. Then I didn't like any of the Ultimas after VII. UO is pretty cool though.

you fail at RPG gaming Sad

Well, I DID force myself to beat the first three, so give me some credit here! I personally think I would have enjoyed them a lot more if I had bought them as they came out originally (with the attendant goodies), as opposed to just playing them out of the Ultima Collection.

That, and not playing VII before them.

Anyway to get back on topic, I believe Garriott will next fly into space on Carmack's new rocket ship. In a full suit of plate.
Kepa
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2009, 09:16:52 PM »

Anyway to get back on topic, I believe Garriott will next fly into space on Carmack's new rocket ship. In a full suit of plate.

He wouldn't wear a suit of plate armor into space.  Grow up.

He's "General British" now due to Tabula Rasa, so he'd wear full military regalia.
Important
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2009, 12:43:15 AM »

He took the name Lord British, because people at school use to call him British. Because he lived in the UK for a short time - he might have been born there I can't remember. His dad was an astronaut so the space thing makes perfect sense. Though it makes perfect sense for most people with a sense of adventure.

I don't think he's that eccentric. I don't think Will Wright is eccentric for a having a robot lab, who wouldn't have a robot lab if they could afford one (though this thread is the first I've heard of this robot lab)?

I think there's a direct line of game hereditary from Ultima 7 down to Grand Theft Auto and it's ilk.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2009, 03:44:58 AM »

I think Richard Garriot also had a naked model riding him while he was doing some adrenaline thing at sea. Or was that someone else?

All the same to me.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2009, 05:24:36 AM »

i don't think building a castle with secret passages is nutty -- how many kids don't want to build that? he's just someone who never lost his childhood dreams

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2009, 09:38:48 AM »

i don't think building a castle with secret passages is nutty -- how many kids don't want to build that? he's just someone who never lost his childhood dreams

Actually I have a personal mission to retire and build a victorian mansion with a crypt beneath it, and fill it with traps and puzzles, sorta like most adventure games.

Dude it's gonna be fucking awesome. Then I'm gonna leave a clause in my inheritance that they have to get down to my grave in the crypt before they can inherit anything, but they have to do so without the help of automated machinery.

Probably will never happen, but I can dream, man. I can dream.  Beg

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
ZOMGBananas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2009, 07:14:52 PM »

I think it would be somewhat hypocritical of someone like Garriott to not respect and understand the importance of indie development, when he himself started his games career in the same way as a lot of us are now. It's great that he's giving us all a nod, and I think those who want to follow that dream of fame and fortune should look to him as proof that it can be done.

I try to write about games - http://zomgindie.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic