Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411674 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 07:09:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIndie now Mainstream aka. Toronto Star talks Crane Wars
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Indie now Mainstream aka. Toronto Star talks Crane Wars  (Read 1819 times)
bigpants
Level 1

hi there, i'm happy mister bigpants

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2009, 10:46:30 PM »

Lord Almighty!
The Toronto Star newspaper, aimed firmly at middle class families, has been covering indie games.

1. Crane Wars was given a half page review. The main entertainment page even tied it to the current civil servant strike.

2. I wish I were the Moon was mentioned here. Weak attempt at relating games to "man walking on moon" 40th.

3. Bit. Trip Core gets a full review. And he really really liked it.

"I'm so Indie I appeared in the Toronto Star"

Twitter   B-Game   Demake  
one of us wears pants
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 10:51:38 PM »

The Globe and Mail reviewed Aquaria back in the day.

I still feel indie though. :\

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 12:35:22 AM »

Indie just means independent. Mainstream/niche is a different axis on the graph.

esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 12:58:29 AM »

That just means you're not that underground anymore, which I think is only a great thing.

Renton
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 05:49:35 AM »

If no one's gonna read/hear about your games and play them, what good is making them in the first place? What's so bad about people outside the "indie scene" reading about indie games? If you don't share your game with the world, how is that different than just a psychological masturbation of a group?
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 06:11:37 AM »

Wow, that's pretty cool. Nice find, bigpants!

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 07:50:53 PM »

I really think people should send info about their work to their local media, especially if it's even remotely progressive.  Papers are always looking for stories, and local "new media" success stories are always a win.

Speaking for myself, I'll definitely be sending something on to the Edmonton Journal once I release something of note, or enough small things of note.  Like Renton said, the more people know about your work the better; if not, why bother?
OMGAlec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 08:25:43 PM »

If no one's gonna read/hear about your games and play them, what good is making them in the first place? What's so bad about people outside the "indie scene" reading about indie games? If you don't share your game with the world, how is that different than just a psychological masturbation of a group?

I don't really consider "Mainstream" a bad word when related to indie games.  I don't think most indie developers are adverse to having their work known in the mainstream.  I think it's a powerful message that an independent work is able to break into the mainstream and I hope that this trend continues.

I want to be a [programmer; designer; photographer; musician; writer] but all I am is -me-
Fuzz
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 09:57:57 AM »

all of our friends our dead was in amon26's local paper.
Kepa
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 01:20:29 AM »

all of our friends our dead was in amon26's local paper.

Local Man Makes Terrifying Game
Name of game also terrifying.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic