Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 10:23:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAo
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Ao  (Read 98543 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2020, 01:23:58 PM »

Integrating houses

It's a brief one this time, but I really do want to try and post at most about a month in between like I was able to keep up for a while last year. Started a new job and haven't had a lot of time or energy, but I'm finding an hour here and there and buggering on!

Got the walls placed by the house building tool to have collision and to get taken into account when generating the navigation mesh, so now I can't run through them, nor will an NPC trying to get into the house, having to find an opening.

I also finally fixed the water so that it isn't permanently black and white in the future/present but blue like it should be. Waaagh!

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2020, 01:46:42 PM »

It can be hard to keep going when you're busy and progress is slow, but the game continues to look great Coffee

It's satisfying to see the debug info for systems like navmeshes, and looks like it's working really nicely.

amasinton
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2020, 08:18:09 PM »

It's a brief one this time, but I really do want to try and post at most about a month in between like I was able to keep up for a while last year. Started a new job and haven't had a lot of time or energy, but I'm finding an hour here and there and buggering on!

I can sympathize entirely!  I think the pictures you've posted are worth thousands of words.  There's a lot of work evident there.

For your time bubble system, do you implement a kind of two-camera method (I know you're writing your own engine (something I am in awe of) and you may have a completely different approach to cameras and rendering)?  I think the way I approach the whole "portal to the past" effect in my game is super-inefficient.  I have to load everything from both time periods and then do a two-camera stencil buffer approach to see both times at once.  I suspect theres' a more efficient, elegant solution?

Keep up the good work.  Loving it!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2020, 02:30:46 AM »

Thank you both! <3

looks like it's working really nicely.

Yes! Thank goodness for people sharing their code like this navmesh library so I can just tell it where the ground and the walls are and have it magically work. Kiss

I suspect theres' a more efficient, elegant solution?

Perhaps, but I'm not sure mine's it. Cheesy Since these aren't portals into a different point in space, but merely different time periods in the same spot, I don't need to do any camera trickery really. I just cull/unload (haven't implemented that part yet tho) stuff that belongs to the past outside the bubbles and stuff that belongs to the future inside them, and if something's on the edge I discard the fragments that are poking out the wrong side. I tried stencils, but a 2D effect like that just doesn't work in my case; I need a proper 3D volume check.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2020, 09:47:13 AM »

Cool! Keep up!  Smiley

Games:

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2020, 07:45:30 AM »

Thank you! Kiss

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2020, 01:23:11 PM »

I'm all too familiar with not having enough time to work on gamedev stuff, so here's a few words of encouragement:

PLEASE KEEP IT UP, THIS LOOKS GREAT!!!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2020, 01:45:48 AM »

THANK YOU!!! Tears of Joy

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 08, 2020, 11:04:32 AM »

Still on schedule to keep that roughly monthly update cycle up, but I have this week off work for Easter, so I'll wait until I've had the rest of it to be productive. Gomez

In the meantime:

No more blurry characters!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 06:17:43 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: April 09, 2020, 07:20:39 AM »

Hand Clap Looking forward to seeing what you do with the work break!

I make video/tabletop games and music!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2020, 06:18:33 AM »

Thank you! Kiss

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2020, 12:07:48 PM »

Bringing things together

Reached a point where I need to start fixing some more time-consuming things, so I probably won't have much more to show by Monday and might as well post today! Smiley

There isn't necessarily a whole lot of new content here, but things are just… nicer, I guess? Cheesy I got the scripted NPC scenario back into the game, now with houses built using the editor.

As you saw in the screenshots from the other day, the spirits/ghosts actually look like spirits/ghosts, and of course less blurry characters.

The birds also look like birds now:

Been fixing a bunch of minor broken things like snow not moving in the future and the water not moving at different paces depending on the time period.

Can also work with the time bubbles in the editor now which is nice…

Negative time bubble inside house:

Intro NPC in the future actually lying on the ground, and in the past actually sitting by the fountain, and not just standing in both cases like before:

Also writing! Trying to figure out more about the actual story and so on. Hope to have more to show off in a month! Gomez

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2020, 04:03:13 PM »

Nice work, it's great when lots of little improvements and fixes come together, suddenly the game can start feeling a lot more complete and polished!

essencescape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2020, 06:00:25 AM »

Interesting and catchy concept with the mechanics. Will probably work well with the art style which seems decent enough. I like the effort your putting into this, seems your working just by yourself, mad respect.

Keep dev'in, hope you manage to incorporate those mechanics well.

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: April 28, 2020, 02:25:35 PM »

ooooh i love the sky <3
YXMX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2020, 05:42:35 PM »

Lovely set of colors. What engine is that, Unreal?

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: April 29, 2020, 11:01:32 PM »

Lovely set of colors. What engine is that, Unreal?

It's a C++ engine with AngelScript built on top of SDL. c:

The main libraries are Bullet for physics, only OpenGL/GLSL for graphics ATM, GLM for linear algebra, ImGui and Im3d for debugging, Recast and Detour for navmeshes and pathfinding, my own WIP text rendering library Kirja (itself based on a bunch of great libs)…
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2020, 11:31:13 AM »

Hello again! Thanks for all of your lovely comments! <3 What qMopey said, YXMX! c:

So there is no update this month. Sad I've done three game jams this year, most recently Ludum Dare 46, and not only was I getting mentally exhausted, but my hands really started hurting too, so I felt I had to take some time off the computer.

Feeling much better now, so I hope to have something for next month! Coffee

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 13, 2020, 05:41:43 PM »

Oh no! You should take RSI very seriously, it can take years to recover otherwise
Suttebun
« Reply #179 on: May 14, 2020, 10:44:53 AM »

Blink posting to follow
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic