Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 11:11:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralYES. NEW SPLATTERHOUSE.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: YES. NEW SPLATTERHOUSE.  (Read 4771 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 01:40:38 PM »

You know I think 2D games don't translate too well to 3D because the player now has at least 2 or 3 dimensions to move in and the game loses its linear quality and simplicity and thus it loses in the story avancement and dramatic effects department.
I mean look at this scenery, it's a good rendition of the 2D original , but on a gameplay POV it's pretty bare and I can imagine getting bored pretty fast in such an environment, bumping on invisible walls , fighting with cameras and visiting dozens of empty rooms.
That's why IMO most 2D to 3D games conversions sucked in the gameplay department(ghouls and ghost, altered beast, castlevania, etc...)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 01:45:10 PM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Zaphos
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 05:32:36 PM »

on a gameplay POV it's pretty bare and I can imagine getting bored pretty fast in such an environment, bumping on invisible walls , fighting with cameras and visiting dozens of empty rooms.
Is there a gameplay video?  All I see are screenshots.

You know I think 2D games don't translate too well to 3D because the player now has at least 2 or 3 dimensions to move in and the game loses its linear quality and simplicity and thus it loses in the story avancement and dramatic effects department.
If they have two dimensions to move in, isn't that the same as most 2D games?  Anyway I don't see what that has to do with story or dramatic effects.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 06:58:37 PM »

I am not liking the look of this, the way it's designed makes it look 'gritty' which is fine for all of those real world gangsta playground games but not the type of horror game that previous Splatterhouses were. And judging by that shorts and sneakers combination it will no doubt be full of rap and angsty teenage guitar music.

I think I'll just stick to the old games.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 08:46:10 PM »

on a gameplay POV it's pretty bare and I can imagine getting bored pretty fast in such an environment, bumping on invisible walls , fighting with cameras and visiting dozens of empty rooms.
Is there a gameplay video?  All I see are screenshots.

If they have two dimensions to move in, isn't that the same as most 2D games?  Anyway I don't see what that has to do with story or dramatic effects.
An oldschool 2D platformer's playing experience is very different from a 3D platformer. Can you understand that?

Zaphos
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 09:53:02 PM »

Not if you restrict the 3D platformer to two dimensions of motion; then it can be like a new super mario bros -- very similar to the 2D work.

But barring that possibility, I agree that game development different in 3D and there are a lot of ways a developer can screw up.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 03:57:45 PM »

It looks like they're messing with Golden axe too.
[EDIT] see screenshots here

I have the same feelings than with Splatterhouse.
And the whole picture is covered in that brown tint that is common to 3D games (I think it's due to the devellopers using realistic lightings instead of 2D drawings, resulting in brownish/yellowish tints and less saturated colors overall)
The original game had brownish levels,but the character and levels had very bright colours to enhance the picture.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 09:28:19 PM by moi » Logged

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 04:03:35 PM »

And the whole picture is covered in that brown tint that is common to 3D games (I think it's due to the devellopers using realistic lightings instead of 2D drawings, resulting in brownish/yellowish tints and less saturated colors overall)

Obligatory VG Cats comic.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 05:23:11 PM »

No no no, it's not a brown tint that's an optical illusion.

It just looks like shit.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic