Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411591 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 05:36:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGames for my mum (and yours...?)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Games for my mum (and yours...?)  (Read 7093 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2008, 12:42:46 AM »

This topic is small and large scale. On a small scale, I want recommendations of indie games to show to my mum. She doesn't particularly like violence, but she is very artistic, and certainly not into the Brain/Sight/Face/Gallstone Training sort of games. So far she's enjoyed Coil and Diaspora, the game I'm making for the PG compo. I'm also thinking of introducing her to Gravitation, Passage and Knytt. So, any other suggestions?

On a larger scale, I want to discuss games for women. Apparently 41% of gamers are women, but only 2% of games are targeted at them. Furthermore, a lot of those games, like Nintendogs and Brain Training, are barely games at all. I don't see a future for 'girl gamers' in those sort of games, because people who play (only) those kinds of games are not really gamers. I think there is a middle path, where there can be games for women that avoid the violence and coarseness that turns them off, say, GTA, but without being dumbed down into glorified crossword puzzles.
Discuss.

increpare
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 01:48:32 AM »

Furthermore, a lot of those games, like Nintendogs and Brain Training, are barely games at all.
Huh?
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 01:58:45 AM »

All your answers are here. Even if they are a bit bitter Sad.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 03:22:30 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
jstckr
Level 7

ilu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 03:06:08 AM »

Dunno if this is limited to indie games on PC, but Escherchrome (they should've called it that, seriously!) for PS3 or PSP is a great game usually accepted by moms and dads. Video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=QfICeBtVv8U

increpare
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 03:59:49 AM »

Dunno if this is limited to indie games on PC, but Escherchrome (they should've called it that, seriously!) for PS3 or PSP is a great game usually accepted by moms and dads. Video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=QfICeBtVv8U
woah; that's a pretty cool-looking game!
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 05:29:49 AM »

I don't see a future for 'girl gamers' in those sort of games, because people who play (only) those kinds of games are not really gamers. I think there is a middle path, where there can be games for women that avoid the violence and coarseness that turns them off, say, GTA, but without being dumbed down into glorified crossword puzzles.
Discuss.

I think that right there is the problem. Games don't need to be aimed at women. A good game is a good game and will be entertaining to either sex. It shouldn't be aimed specificly at women, thats just stupid. Game designers should focus on making a fun and intersting game, and if it is fun and interesting then women will play it for that reason.
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 07:14:30 AM »

I think that right there is the problem. Games don't need to be aimed at women. A good game is a good game and will be entertaining to either sex. It shouldn't be aimed specificly at women, thats just stupid. Game designers should focus on making a fun and intersting game, and if it is fun and interesting then women will play it for that reason.

Agreed, but in the same fashion, isn't it also bad that most games are currently obviously aimed at men and boys with their over-the-top machismo and scantily clad females?

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 01:15:44 PM »

If you're showing her Knytt, you might as well show her Seiklus as well. Polarity is pretty short, but easy to understand and fun. I have yet to play Facade, but what I've heard about it sounds like she might like it.
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 02:44:51 PM »

not explicitly indie, but my mom really likes Katamari Damacy

cup full of magic charisma
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 02:56:47 PM »

not explicitly indie, but my mom really likes Katamari Damacy
I <3 Katamari.
We <3 Katamari.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 07:25:15 PM »

I don't see a future for 'girl gamers' in those sort of games, because people who play (only) those kinds of games are not really gamers. I think there is a middle path, where there can be games for women that avoid the violence and coarseness that turns them off, say, GTA, but without being dumbed down into glorified crossword puzzles.
Discuss.

No, I don't agree. The fact is, men and women like different things, and most women do not like games that involve killing and destroying stuff. There are certainly some exceptions to this rule, but in general it holds true.

Corpus
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 08:50:35 AM »

Yeah. The fact that no woman is exactly the same doesn't change the fact that, on the whole, women tend to have different interests to men. Yes, there should be games targeted towards all genders (and there are). However, there should also be games made specifically with women in mind.

There should also be fewer macho macho man games because, honestly, the number of nerdy teenage boys on the internet with retardedly misogynistic views is just sad, and these stupid games clearly play a significant formative role in their lives when they're all they ever do.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 09:38:47 AM »

but what do girls, erm, more specifically women like? Sure, less violence, but that seems to be the only thing the games posted thus far have in common. (knytt, Katamari, Echochrome)

Actually I find myself agreeing with Benza. If a game is good it will attract people that play games, regardless of gender.

I'm pretty sure there's no game that could ever please my mommy, though. She's strictly anti-game, sees them all as a complete waste of time and effort, and sees no difference between Tetris and Halo.

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 02:48:27 PM »

but what do girls, erm, more specifically women like?

If the women I talk to are any indication, the answers are:

• Devil May Cry
  • Shadow Hearts
  • Some FF games

I'm sure there's some running theme there, but I can't quite put my finger on it... ;-)

*ducks*

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 03:38:52 PM »

Show your mum Samorost.

Show everyone Samorost.
Anna
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 07:39:45 PM »

Agreed, but in the same fashion, isn't it also bad that most games are currently obviously aimed at men and boys with their over-the-top machismo and scantily clad females?

I think you're both right - the answer is to make games that are fun and interesting and don't feature over-the-top machismo and scantily clad females.

IMO there is no need to target games specifically at women. I can only think of two approaches, and I don't like either of them. The first is to heavily feminize the game (the feminine equivalent of the macho man theme). Think lipstick, boob jobs, high heels, head tilts, tiny handbags, and lots of pink. This would definitely keep the men away, but it would scare off the women as well, and it doesn't seem fun or interesting at all.

The second approach is to make a game that is about some aspect of women's lives that men generally don't experience - the only thing that comes to mind is a game where you get to castrate rapists, or beat the shit out of dudes who engage in mekuri, or something like that. But themes like this don't sound like fun either.

Actually, writing this post has given me some ideas. I may have to think about this some more.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 09:21:08 PM »

Welcome to TIGS, Anna.

I second (or third?) Katamari Damacy and its sequel, games with deserved universal appeal.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 10:13:55 PM »

No, I don't agree. The fact is, men and women like different things, and most women do not like games that involve killing and destroying stuff. There are certainly some exceptions to this rule, but in general it holds true.

The thing is, Men and women don't like diffrent things.
People like diffrent things.
Out of the women gamers in my life.

My eldest sisters fave game is Oblivion
My middle sisters fave game is Dead Rising
My younger sisters fave game is Need for Speed
My Girlfreinds is Warcraft.
My Co-workers fave game is FF 12
Mums is Mah-jong.

To make a game to appeal to the women in my life it would need to be an open world, zombie killing, street racing MMO with a heavy focus on plot development and puzzels.

While, yes that game would be fucking awsome its chances of being made are rather slim.

Instead of foccusing on marketing games towards women people should make games to appeal to people who like action games or adventure games. Because the diffrent genres appeal to diffrent people of either gender. If you go into it foccusing on making a good action game, chances are you're going to get alot more fans of both genders then if you try to make a good "Female targeted" action game.

Trying too hard to appeal to either gender is just going to hurt the game in the long run.
Anna
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 08:01:27 AM »

Thanks Golds Smiley

I though of another way to appeal specifically to women: a game where most or all of the characters are female, and the male characters are irrelevant or nonexistent. The female characters would have to be well-developed, realistic, and not sexualized. I think this idea has potential, but it would probably require an all female dev team.

Generally though, I agree with Benza: there is much more variation in interests within the populations of men and women than there is between them, and targeting either gender only serves to cut your audience in half for no good reason.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 12:48:07 PM »

This thread is kind of weird Shocked.
The only game my mom ever really played was Puzzle Bobble 64.
Also, Anna, why would it need an all female dev team? Do you not trust us men to make women wearing clothes?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic