Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411561 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 04:52:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Xoda Rap
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Xoda Rap  (Read 104237 times)
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2008, 01:51:09 AM »

I like the charging animation, however I'd recommend starting with basic animations first like the idle, walking, jumping, etc. Right now the charging is a bit too static for my taste, it would be cooler if it was combined with the idle animation somehow.
Also before going any further it should be made sure that the characters really have the same style. For example Xoda has a completely black outline, while all other characters use a dark grey.

Anyway I hope I find some time to contribute to Indie Brawl a bit more again, instead of just talking smart. Wink

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2008, 02:01:00 AM »

For example Xoda has a completely black outline, while all other characters use a dark grey.

I just looked; they are all solid black Wink

But yeah, the charging animation is rather static. I was thinking more clenched fists, screwed up face and her whole body shaking slightly, as if she's really concentrating hard on something.
Idea: use GM's particle system for charge-up. I could do it easy. Actually, I'll do that now (and by now I mean tomorrow) and see what it looks like, try a few different styles, and then if godsavant or someone else comes up with a better charge using sprites, we'll use that.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2008, 04:04:38 AM »

For example Xoda has a completely black outline, while all other characters use a dark grey.

You probably only checked the Naked Ninja, right? He is the only one that uses a completely black outline too, while Naija, Quote and Turner use a dark grey one (#202020), which I like better actually. Also since there are not so many animations done for Naked Ninja and Xoda I think it shouldn't be a problem...

[EDIT]
Ok, so I came up with a quick idle animation. I'm not 100% happy with it, but it'll do for now. Edits are welcomed!

[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 04:30:04 AM by Kovski » Logged

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2008, 05:40:52 AM »

Hey Kovski, sweet as usual.

Also as usual, some nitpicks:

In one frame it seems as though her right index finger is flicking up, just a little. Looks kind of strange.

Also, maybe slightly more flow on the ponytail? Seems somewhat rigid. Though, this is a rather short animation. Can't move too much.

But, looks pretty darn good. Fringe is cute!
godsavant
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2008, 07:10:09 AM »

Her head looks a bit too big in your pic godsavant. Too much bubblehead-hat maybe. Just to put it bluntly.  Wink

I'm not sure what to do with that...her head's been that size from the beginning, but I can't really do much at this point, seeing that the charge animation crashed Pixen about 15 times.

I like the charging animation, however I'd recommend starting with basic animations first like the idle, walking, jumping, etc. Right now the charging is a bit too static for my taste, it would be cooler if it was combined with the idle animation somehow.

Yeah, it's not done; I just wanted to see if it was more suitable than the previous charge-up animation. It was looped so it wouldn't look too erratic. Embarrassed

Of course, I'll wait and see what Rory does w/ GM particles before going any further. Wink
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 02:04:04 PM by godsavant » Logged
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2008, 02:36:04 PM »

You probably only checked the Naked Ninja, right? He is the only one that uses a completely black outline too, while Naija, Quote and Turner use a dark grey one (#202020), which I like better actually. Also since there are not so many animations done for Naked Ninja and Xoda I think it shouldn't be a problem...

No, I checked all of them. But I wouldn't mind seeing what dark grey looks like.

Her head looks a bit too big in your pic godsavant. Too much bubblehead-hat maybe. Just to put it bluntly.  Wink

I'm not sure what to do with that...her head's been that size from the beginning, but I can't really do much at this point, seeing that the charge animation crashed Pixen about 15 times.

Actually the head is the right size compared to the body, what I meant was that her hat seems too big compared to her face. I'm not so good at this so-called 'explaining-what-I-mean' thing. Embarrassed

MOAR UPDATES:
All moves done except fly, although I don't know if the energy blast or particles will work as I'm doing this at school with GM7 lite and I don't know how to fix it to work facing right Lips Sealed
I don't mind. Anyway, it should create a particle trail following the large ball (I'm about to do the medium ball) and Xoda should emit particles while charging, and they should indicate her charge level.

And I've just realised that she will show blue for small, red for medium (blue blast) and still red for large (red blast). Will take two seconds to fix though.

EDIT: Also there is an error in the Create event for xoda_energy3. You will have to change 'part_type_gravity(pt,0.2,90)' to 'part_type_gravity(pte3,0.2,90)'. Also, you should change the Destroy event for xoda_energy3 from 'part_emitter_destroy(pse3,pee3)' to 'part_system_destroy(pse3)'. Grin (this is what I get for submitting hastily)

EDIT 2: Fuck, just tried it at home with pro, about a million errors with the particle system. I have removed the link and am now trying to fix it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 02:46:29 AM by Rory » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2008, 05:14:40 PM »

Also before going any further it should be made sure that the characters really have the same style. For example Xoda has a completely black outline, while all other characters use a dark grey.
Actually, all the sprites used in-game have black outlines. The grey outlines look better by themselves, but darker outlines look better in-game against the background.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2008, 01:26:51 AM »

Rory - to find the x and y values of different characters, I would try something like this:
first initialize four values called p1_target_id, p2_target_id, etc. in Xoda's finish_creation. Then when using Fly, do this:

with (character)
{
if (player_id = p1) other.p1_target_id = id;
if (player_id = p2) other.p2_target_id = id;
and so on...
}

When you use a with statement, other will refer to the object that called the with statement (i.e. Xoda). Then you can call the values using p1_target_id.x or something like that. You'll need to remember to work out the number of players in the game - you can do this easily using instance_count (character)-1. However, if you do it this way, we'll need to make sure that the players are created in linear fashion, i.e. always p1 and p2, never p1 and p3 or p4. This presents another problem  (Roll Eyes) because right now p2 is controlled by joystick IIRC. You'll need to shuffle around some code in the create event for the control object so that p2 ends up controlled by the keyboard.

God, does that make any sense?

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2008, 02:48:53 AM »

Yeah, that makes sense. I can check which players are playing by doing if(p1_type != 0), if(p2_type != 0) etc.

And Game Maker won't let me create particle systems in a script Huh? why not?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2008, 04:52:37 PM »

Don't worry too much about the particle system right now, since that's more closely related to the core engine than the individual characters. Focus more on designing the character's moves.

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2008, 05:37:17 PM »

The particle system was done, it took me about ten minutes to program, except it won't let me create a particle system in a script.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2008, 05:44:38 PM »

There shouldn't be a problem. I would probably be more help if I could see the file.

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2008, 05:54:46 PM »

I've removed the particle system for now, but this version has Fly in it (^S). I can't test it because I'm at school using GM Lite. Basically, with the particle system I had 'psc = part_system_create()' and it was saying Unknown variable part_system_create.

EDIT: Just had a thought, although I won't be able to test it for a while, but what if I did 'part_system_create = psc'? Or would that not work at all?
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2008, 07:19:49 PM »

ignore me.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:24:18 PM by Xion » Logged

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2008, 07:33:30 PM »

Alright. Fly is done and will work! I just need a way of getting player x and y coordinates (chutup: your way didn't work.)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 06:43:41 PM by Rory » Logged
godsavant
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2008, 03:07:01 PM »

A- Rapid Punches- A few weak punches followed by a strong finishing punch. Quick and powerful, but with very short range.

ponytail removed for sake of efficiency.

(Edited version)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 01:27:24 PM by godsavant » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2008, 04:29:44 PM »

The current frame count looks fine. What I don't get is Xoda's disembodied fist.  WTF

godsavant
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2008, 04:37:17 PM »

What I don't get is Xoda's disembodied fist.  WTF

Technically, she's punching so fast she leaves imprints. All three of her weak punches are supposed to have that, but I'm not done yet; they could be replaced by yellow energy effects later.

The current frame count looks fine.

I meant that the finished animation, which will contain a third punch and uppercut, will be twice as long.  Embarrassed
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2008, 05:59:31 PM »

Technically, she's punching so fast she leaves imprints

explanation doesn't always make it okay.

readability is so important in animation
shig
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2008, 06:07:15 PM »

I think she should turn her shoulders/waist a bit more during the second punch.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic