Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 05:57:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVeins of the Earth [RPG, roguelike, isometric pixel art] dev log & feedback
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Veins of the Earth [RPG, roguelike, isometric pixel art] dev log & feedback  (Read 10020 times)
Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2018, 02:14:34 AM »

This week's progress:

new: defaults for input prompts
    new: debug option to spawn items
    new: improve autoexplore by implementing a move queue for the player Note: I got the idea from a Python multiplayer reimagining of Cata DDA, Cataclysm: Looming Darkness https://github.com/stolencatkarma/CataclysmLD
    new: bundle a full version of Fixedsys Excelsior font since we need the arrows (I will probably ship with something else later, but Fixedsys is nice and readable, so...)
    new: show move queue on HUD; debugging aid - draw path arrows
    fix: game remembers gender and race you selected (e.g. showing it on character sheet)
    fix: spawn neutrals on indoor tiles
    fix: some crash fixes for changing levels

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2018, 11:14:59 PM »

This week's progress:

* fix: center camera when debug visualizing a level
* fix: force redraw when changing levels via debug menu
* fix: force a redraw when you're killed
* fix: force a redraw when done resting (via fake input)
* fix: ignore player input when sleeping
* fix: get rid of one while loop within main loop, improves responsiveness Note: This one dates ALL the way back to last year's Tutorial Tuesdays, oops!
* fix: effects getting cleared too fast with the new more responsive loop

* new: implement starvation damage
* new: visual effects can now have an owner, if it's dead we dramatically shorten the duration
* new: show whether we redraw or not on screen for debug purposes
* new: wake up from being hit
* new: implement faking player input (i.e. you don't do anything but the game thinks you did) - mostly for smoother resting
* new: display race stat bonuses in character creation
* get rid of hardcoded PLAYER where possible in preparation for character switching
* new: show death screen listing your kids
* new: switching to your kid on death
* new: ROT13 the dialog if you and the NPC don't speak the same language
* new: begin working on a fictional language toolset
* new: plug in our fictional language if player and NPC don't speak the same language

Showing off
Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2018, 12:31:54 AM »

So this project has migrated to Godot and just got enough things in to be presentable.

(Progress should be quick, free time allowing, since GDScript is very very similar to Python)

Devilkay
Level 2

Hi! First game-dev experience!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2018, 05:18:27 AM »

now it looks like a ugly version of Diablo 3. the design is good and also the tech-part, but you have to improve the graphics!
Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2018, 05:19:28 AM »

now it looks like a ugly version of Diablo 3. the design is good and also the tech-part, but you have to improve the graphics!

The graphics I'm using are from a pixel art tileset that has served me well for years - and you are the first person to complain!

In other news, I have added more features to the Godot version (e.g. character creation and mouseover NPC stats). The early build can be played at https://zireael07.github.io/Veins-of-the-Earth-Godot/
Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2019, 03:45:08 AM »

I ironed out some inventory issues over December. For example, NPCs can now spawn with some items and actually make use of them.

The latest build of Veins is always playable at https://zireael07.github.io/Veins-of-the-Earth-Godot/

Currently reading up on Perlin noise so that I can implement more interesting procedural maps.

As a side project, I am working on what is essentially Veins reskinned to a cyberpunk theme, will see if it ever goes anywhere.
Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2019, 01:36:57 AM »

Perlin noise was implemented two weeks ago, although not yet used in the game itself.

However, progress is gonna be slow now because my computer is broke and I can't run Godot editor or the game due to the WebGL 2 requirement. Unfortunately, I discovered that the game doesn't work on my phone, either. Hopefully 3.1 will make the problem moot with the GLES2 switch, which equals to WebGL 1.

For the time being, I am searching for a WebGL 1 tech stack. Currently have my eye on Nim or Dart (I strongly dislike JS's syntax, unfortunately I use it at work) and Pixi.js, which I verified does work on the phone.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic