Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411645 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 07:17:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsEasily create sprite sheets using Daz 3D & The GIMP
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Easily create sprite sheets using Daz 3D & The GIMP  (Read 10092 times)
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2012, 04:13:31 PM »

I just finished putting together a tutorial on creating a spritesheet with Daz Studio and The GIMP.  Basically combining the two allows you to create a walk cycle sprite sheet in less than 10 minutes!

I created this tutorial because Daz3D recently made Studio ( plus Hexagon and Bryce ) available for free.  For those with limited artistic ability, this represents what is probably the easiest way to create an animated sprite sheet.  

Hope some of you find it useful.
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:16:41 PM »

because Daz3D recently made Studio ( plus Hexagon and Bryce ) available for free.
Hand Shake Left WTF Hand Shake Right

Theophilus
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »

Awesome. I'm going to do this later this week.
keo
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 11:58:58 PM »

you can also do this in blender
when you go to render a scene
you can have each frame exported to a png file

and ahem rotoscope over those frames!  shotty animations are a thing of the past.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 06:56:39 AM »

you can also do this in blender
when you go to render a scene
you can have each frame exported to a png file

and ahem rotoscope over those frames!  shotty animations are a thing of the past.

True, its the level of experience required that is the key difference. A non artist can pick up Daz and be productive in minutes, not so much true with Blender. I actually personally use Blende, and I know exactlty how long it took me to become competent... and ive been dabbling in 3d since the days of 3d Studio ( without the max )

You also cant discount the value of an asset store.

So for a programmer on a tight budget needing characters animated, Daz is a pretty good fit. As it woud be for a hidden object type game. Finally its the pro release, so it supports Collada, making it possible to export animations to Unity for example, although I dont know how appropriatethe models would be for realtime work.

Myself, I can model, i can texture and if I really set my mind to it I could create a rig.  I cannot however animate, just don't have the eye for it.  In this regard, Daz may be perfect for me, if moving in and out of this application is reasonably easy.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:10:17 AM by Serapth » Logged
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 07:35:16 AM »

I've used Poser + GIMP to create the character animations for my game Hostile Takeover. Poser seems to have an advantage over DAZ 3D in that you can select "Walk in place" (or something to that effect) when applying a walk animation (or run, sneak, prance, and a multitude of other animations), so there's no need to fiddle around with z movement like you do in your tutorial.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 08:20:01 AM »

I've used Poser + GIMP to create the character animations for my game Hostile Takeover. Poser seems to have an advantage over DAZ 3D in that you can select "Walk in place" (or something to that effect) when applying a walk animation (or run, sneak, prance, and a multitude of other animations), so there's no need to fiddle around with z movement like you do in your tutorial.

Yeah, my understanding is Poser is superior in a number of areas.  I haven't used Poser in many many years, but from my initial uses of Daz products, I would say it is probably more polished.

That said...  free vs 500$. Smiley
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 08:21:59 AM »

because Daz3D recently made Studio ( plus Hexagon and Bryce ) available for free.
Hand Shake Left WTF Hand Shake Right

Shall I assume you paid for it?  I thought they were making some moves towards compensating those that purchased recently?  It is kinda crappy that this app was heavily discounted on Black friday, thats still pretty recent for such a price drop.
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 08:45:05 AM »

Nah. I meant it like this Hand Shake Left Evil  Hand Shake Right
I'm always happy when expensive stuff goes free

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 05:42:56 AM »

Yeah, my understanding is Poser is superior in a number of areas.  I haven't used Poser in many many years, but from my initial uses of Daz products, I would say it is probably more polished.

That said...  free vs 500$. Smiley

Poser 7 for $34.41:

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=219194027&sellerid=15445838

I got it for about $40 a year ago.

(Poser 9 is $249 directly from Smith Micro)

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 04:04:01 PM »

Nice tutorial, used it right now.
It would be nice to mention your layout in DAZ3D. Your explanations cover the hardcore one, and for a newbie, this just might be overlooked.

Cheers, mate! Hand Thumbs Up LeftCheesyHand Thumbs Up Right

Yeah.
RamSteelwood
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 07:20:22 AM »

this tutorial and concept look amazing.  i'm gonna have to try it.  is there an option to generate the animation in less frames, or will i just have to manually pick out the 'images' i want to use as frames and 'gimp' them together?

Working on an on-line multi-player 'world cup singles' football game for PC.  http://ssgg.uk/tbgtg
I just need people to play it! Sad
xfry
Level 0

JavaScripter, C# Developer, The world is realy 2D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 07:36:35 AM »

Guau! Really useful i i'll try. Thanks

Success is not the end of your goals ... Be the beginning of your triumph
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 02:03:08 PM »

this tutorial and concept look amazing.  i'm gonna have to try it.  is there an option to generate the animation in less frames, or will i just have to manually pick out the 'images' i want to use as frames and 'gimp' them together?

Yeah, there is an ability to render less frames.  Its somewhere in the Timeline, I just forget where exactly.  Or you could just delete every nth render. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic