Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 04:30:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioMusic challenge #2 - 1st Stage Anthems
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Music challenge #2 - 1st Stage Anthems  (Read 9406 times)
Rynen10K
Level 1

can't be beat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2009, 10:24:03 PM »

No one else? I thought today was the due date  Sad

Also, an alternate version for my entry. Dunno which I prefer...

Stage 1 - Into the Horizon (version 2)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:38:41 PM by Rynen10K » Logged
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 12:11:41 AM »

I thought both were awesome, but I'm gonna go with the latter simply because I found myself whistling it in the kitchen while making a cup of tea. So that counts for something (The Old Grey Whistle Test NEVAR! FAILS!)

Biggerfish
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 02:50:43 AM »

No one else? I thought today was the due date  Sad
Damnit, I thought we had more time than we did.

I haven't gotten anything done, that means.
compound
Level 0

Help

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 04:11:33 AM »

Almostdonealmostdonenotoveryetnotoveryetpostmoretuneseverybodypostthem Addicted
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 09:28:04 AM »

Extend the deadline >_<

hi
compound
Level 0

Help

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 10:25:16 AM »

Consider the deadline 'officially' extended, for a few days at the least. Sorry to have kept you all waiting, I blame music for being more engrossing than responsibility and obligations. You are all free to post as many tracks as you like. I'd like to see some more tracks posted, so it's not too late!

I'll review each track when they are all in, I promise Durr...? Am I free to listen to submissions now? Would that be bad?

Almostdonealmostdone Tired
Rynen10K
Level 1

can't be beat.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 10:35:07 AM »

I figured out what my track was missing - Orchestra Hit! The cowbell of SNES music. I also slowed the tempo a bit and fixed some of the volume on the instruments. I wish I had spent a bit more time on this, but I rushed it to get to the old deadline Sad Also I haven't made any music related in about 2-3 years, and I'm not terribly adept at this new fangled Reason program  Who, Me?

Stage 1 - Into the Horizon (Final(?) Version)

@pgil (SUPER Mega Battle Racer X) - Very F-zero-ish, very SNES Smiley I love it :D

@0rel (holidays in space) - Nice Smiley It reminds me of the Megaman Battle Network series, if it had started in the '90s. Sounds like it could be a tutorial or menu screen, too. Where are the drum samples from? I love 'em Smiley
pgil
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 03:31:13 PM »

Rynen: Your tune is really catchy. I think I like version 2 the best. The orchestra hits in the third one are cool, but I think you went a little overboard  :D

Orel: Holidays reminds me of Amiga games. I like the rhythm.
compound
Level 0

Help

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 03:48:38 PM »

Eh, a little feedback can't hurt... the 'winner' should probably be chosen by the entrants, anyway. Shrug

@pgil: Wow, Battle Racer is an impressive work. Highly dynamic, catchy and colorful melody, great attention to detail. That bassline is a stroke of genius, sits well underneath the brass, mind if I ask how you came up with it?

@Rynen10K: Sorry about the deadline thing Sad. You've got a sweet tune, though. I'm fond mostly of the 1st one. I agree that the orchestra hits could be interesting but they need some refinement. Needs some trimming... I think you might be mixing the drums a little too low in comparison to other things, maybe. Also might be hearing some overcompression, which never a good thing and could be doing some funny things to the drums.

But overall, the track sounds great to me. That 2nd melody that comes in with that harmonic shift is awesome, the out-of-time sort of feeling one. Great effect, pretty clever. The whole piece sounds period-accurate.

@0rel: I really dig the standout 'holidays in space' thing you've got. Solid textures on everything, bouncy feel, thick sound and the bass comes through particularly deep. The authentic funky beats and smooth harmonies give it a feel similar to Earthbound. Good stuff, I'm curious to hear what your anthem might sound like...

Hmm, I think it would be cool maybe if you guys gave some sort of post-mortem on your submissions, what you like and how you made certain things. I'm definitely curious to know the decision making process that occurs with stuff like this... If you want to, of course.

Anyways, I think I'm done with this thing for the moment:

Sky Brigade - Act 1 - A Treacherous Betrayal on The Peaceful Aircity Bliss

It's about half-finished... I also did the SNES ROM sample ripping trick, used Earthbound and Breath of Fire with good results. It was pretty grueling and fun to do Addicted
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 11:21:01 PM »

I also did the SNES ROM sample ripping trick, used Earthbound and Breath of Fire with good results. It was pretty grueling and fun to do Addicted

Trickgief.

compound
Level 0

Help

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 03:36:03 AM »

Hey 0rel, thanks for listening and for the feedback. I changed some bits around based on your feelings, went full filt on that weird dissonance. The first phrase was actually a boss battle thing intended for the end, but ended up as an intro somehow...

Your little sketches are sounding funky, I'm fond of 'peaceful evening,' nice vibes there, bass has sounds full. Did you use a SNES sample for it? You seem to consistently get a solid bass timbres... And hats, too, you do nice work with your shuffly shakers/hats... More than a few of things would probably be worth your time to expand into full tunes. 'connect&cut' would be one of those, that one is very cool, great sound. I dig the hard tones and manic licks.

I've now realized if I was smart, I would've had the thought to make this a SNES compo... Oops Durr...?

Trickgief.

It's a simple thing, first you gotta grab this tool and once you've got your ROM loaded in it, pick the save separately option.

One last thing, I'm thinking about making the 27th a hard deadline, no more tunes allowed after that. Does that sound reasonable to you all? Too long, too short?
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2009, 06:01:31 AM »

Hmmm, I may actually make something for this in the end! I didn't have the time before the 20th, but I might be able to squeeze something in before the 27th... Especially as I like the idea of ripping soundfonts from SNES games! That way, I can concentrate on composition. We'll see!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
compound
Level 0

Help

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2009, 03:54:56 PM »

Ah sorry, I got a little bit distracted, tend to do that sometimes... Shocked

better like that i think. ...it's a bit like in "story" i thought. the intro stands for the evil forces, and the conflict... then "fight" -> victory. -- that concept could be also helpful to capture other kinds of scenarios, i thought. just because i'm having difficulties to think in larger structures... like, how to arrange small pattern loops in a full song. and to make it work on a larger scale...

That was a sort of fortune manifesting itself there as I didn't plan in advance, wrote a handful of different melodies/riffs isolated from each other then mashed 'em all together. You probably need some sort narrative, though, for things to be interesting, even if it can only be identified in hindsight.

actually, i was surprised as well. it seems that these extracted bass samples are just perfect to get clear sounding bass timbres, what i always liked about the SNES sound. - exported with OpenSPC i'm getting always odd sample frequencies (like 32 khz, 68576 Hz, 34288 Hz...), for all samples a different one. rougher samples give even clearer sound sometimes, because of the aliasing, probably... i've never really played with such basic sampling before, but it's oddly productive and fun, it seems (at the cost of some high-end quality of course).

That's interesting, I noticed this too, SNES samples are quite punchy. The musicians that wrote SNES tunes picked/designed very good sounds, they've got bite. The artifacts and aliasing that accompany them add a pleasant sheen, which seem to produce a surprisingly full character. Ton of fun to play with...

I think sample-rate reduction could probably be considered a fundamental production trick...

@power sound:
something interesting here: each track dropped into Audacity gives the following diagrams:
* energy spectrum
* musical pitch
* waveform

Now this was some interesting data, spurred me to do a little investigating.... Turned up this nice VST here: sonogram sg-1. It's been a while since I touched these things, but there are some patterns in there... Seem to paint a very accurate picture of the sub & bass regions which don't show up in other forms of analysis. Very cool, definitely going to continue experimenting with this  Gentleman

The pitch descent present in kick drums shows up pretty well, I'd say that's something that would come in handy when assembling bottom-heavy tunes...

But, anyways, sorry for the delay. I think my pick will be, with its memorable fanfare and gravity-defying bassline, SUPER Mega Battle Racer X - Stage 1-1! Battle Racer's charming aesthetic and powerful sound make for an awesome and appropriate composition. Great job, pgil, I think you may have to make a thread now.

I hope everybody noticed something they found interesting at some point. See you all in Round 3, I hope! Well, hello there!
pgil
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2009, 04:57:38 PM »

I win at making sounds? Cool!

Got to say, although the turnout wasn't as big as the last challenge, some really nice tunes came out of it. Some good discussion too.

New challenge will start in a few days.
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2009, 11:45:36 AM »

Woah, awesome music. I had Battle Racer on repeat for a while. Coffee

SNEStests0.zip
but i found a way to extract samples from original spc files.

Sweet! Is there any way to further get .wavs out of that other than manually through recording your sound card?

Rynen10K
Level 1

can't be beat.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »

Woah, awesome music. I had Battle Racer on repeat for a while. Coffee

SNEStests0.zip
but i found a way to extract samples from original spc files.

Sweet! Is there any way to further get .wavs out of that other than manually through recording your sound card?

Check out that link 0rel posted.

Essentially, you use OpenSPC through a command line, it will record the SPC as an Impulse Tracker *.it file, which you can open with a tracker program (the author of the article recommends ModPlug Tracker, which is what I used) to open / edit it.

You can then pick out individual instruments from that SPC song, and the looping points are automatically saved to the .wav you export, so all the work is done for you :D

Just be sure to make a note of what root key the original sample is coming from  Who, Me?

Also, apologies for not posting a better version of my song yet - I've had some stuff going on Sad
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic