Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 01:33:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopAsepl's workshop of improvement
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Asepl's workshop of improvement  (Read 13212 times)
Asepl
Level 0

Muff muff

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2011, 10:20:54 AM »

Hello. I am making 3d objects in blender seriously by around week. My goal is to create atleast one model daily, post it on forums, and if You would be so kind, get some feedback.
It would be very kind if someone with 3d making experience would show interest in my topic, as it leads to self-improvement. I've posted few models in 3d thread, but i want everything in one place, as i am making not so less of it, and it may often lead to offtopic.

So, to start out:

My laptop model, i don't put too much of effort for textures right now, because i want to better my 3d making skills for first.

Here is a cupboard. Sadly without textures.

And here is a knife... Too high poly due to my fail when making handle. The whole model is 18k verticies, and 1/3 of the handle takes 17,7k Tongue

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 11:13:18 AM »

Great start. That dagger looks really flat though.
Here's a little paintover I did to help you.

As you can see i made it rounder and I reworked the silhouette quite a bit.
I also drew a quick wireframe to show you how easy it is to use a low amount of poly's. The hardest part is keeping the silhouette with that same amount of poly's.
Asepl
Level 0

Muff muff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 11:39:07 AM »

Well, yeah I still have no idea of making it more rounder. I'm just keeping with a picture, and when it's finished i think it's the end... Tried to do some kind of a "round" for the blade, but it wasn't going too well.

Btw. Nice drawing Smiley
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:16:43 PM »

Maybe these wireframes will help you.

Asepl
Level 0

Muff muff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 12:55:56 PM »

Wow. They're pretty epic  Evil Did you do them, or find over internet?
My main problem is that i don't know how to model the knife further, after completing the base. Adding some rounds. I guess that I need more practise, and to watch some videos.
Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 05:44:27 AM »

Ok so I made a basic tutorial on how to model a lo-poly knife in Blender, based off of 'Green's paintover. I don't know your knowledge of Blender so I mention a few shortcuts that you may or may not know. You will have to be kind to my mediocre commentary though, it is my first attempt at something like this. Tongue I hope it helps in some way, and if you have any questions feel free to ask. Wink

Here is the link:

Result:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:48:15 PM by Halcyon » Logged
Asepl
Level 0

Muff muff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 06:33:13 AM »

Thank you very much Smiley Surely will use it. My modelling plan for tommorow will probably be another knife attemp with usal of your tutorial and green's pictures.

And here is a model of a house i was working on by past 1,5 hour  Tired It's exactly 500 verticies! Based hard on Halcyon's model (yours :D).

Edit:
I watched a bit of your tutorial, nice work Smiley
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:46:08 AM by Asepl » Logged
Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 04:45:37 PM »

Thanks mate, I am glad it may be of some use to you. Smiley Also great job on the house, you are definitely improving. If I may add a small critique, something I myself often have a little trouble with is proportions; but the way I sort of did mine was by using the door as a measure of how tall a person would be entering the house so depending on if the house is meant to be 1 or 2 story you either have windows that are on the floor level of the second floor, or your front door is too small.

Here is what I mean:

2 story.

1 story(This one is a little bit off, would need to mess around with it yourself loosely based off of this image):

Also I circled a small shading issue, maybe just move the face in a small amount, you can hold shift while moving to move more finely or slowly.

Also I probably spent a couple of hours on my version, a lot of that time tweaking (I can be a perfectionist, though never attaining it unfortunately) Wink and also because I was quite rusty when starting it. And for reference, I used 396 vertices, or 308 faces for my version (and I still can see a few places I can optimize my model by losing a few more unnecessary faces), though I am not sure if you are specifically going for a low poly type of game model.
Asepl
Level 0

Muff muff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 04:54:56 AM »

I finished it Smiley
133 verticies  Corny Laugh Great job on the tutorial! I learned the "remove doubles", which is indeed a nice tool, also i started out with new creating style  Evil Love it.
Here's the result.

Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 04:12:30 PM »

Well done mate, I am glad it helped you. Smiley
Asepl
Level 0

Muff muff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 03:21:45 AM »

Huh. Here is a bed model. At least it elapsed "only" one hour to make it. It's 283 verticies, so at least it isn't shitted up. Anyways I am having problems with shading... As always.

Tell me the tons of wrong things  Lips Sealed

And here is a crappy boat of mine  Cool Exactly 200 verticies.

As always, please comment.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 06:31:49 AM by Asepl » Logged
Asepl
Level 0

Muff muff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 04:20:55 AM »

Alright. Decided to make a model  WTF Yesterday I had no heart for these things, and today, well, I am not too proud of my new model.
It's glock, or atleast should be, because it lacks alot of detail, which I didn't know how to make. It's 241 verticies. There's tiny texture on it.

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 05:47:04 AM »

It looks just fine and such. But you should post the wireframes for me to see what's good and what could be better.
Asepl
Level 0

Muff muff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 06:11:17 AM »

Okay. Here is one screen, tell me if you'd like more.

Asepl
Level 0

Muff muff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 03:40:59 AM »

40 minute fast job. It's a saw Smiley

224 verticies, which is a little bit too much, but i know what did i shit up Smiley
And the little blades take 125 verticies...
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 05:01:35 AM »

Your models are coming along nicely. Now I want you to try some textures. Tongue
nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 06:37:11 AM »

me 2!
I like that you see progress, but it's still a very technical process,
throw some more feeling in it.
Asepl
Level 0

Muff muff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 06:44:06 AM »

Sure :D Just tell me how should i start out. Should i use blender's built in texturing or UV mapping, and where/how should i start to learn making them. Use gimp or photoshop?
Asepl
Level 0

Muff muff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 03:59:53 AM »

And i made a well... Nothing cool, 257 verticies. Also I am not satisfied with the bottom of it. The shades seem to bug a bit. It was supposed to be a destroyed well, if you wouldn't guess Smiley Actually tried to make it more roundlish, but after seeing the effects i decided to make it destroyed Tongue

Theophilus
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 07:37:57 AM »

Will you be using the bed model in a game? If so, why did you model the slats underneath the bed, assuming the won't be seen?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic