Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411583 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 04:57:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopLowpoly 3d progress
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Lowpoly 3d progress  (Read 5049 times)
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2013, 11:35:28 AM »

So I completed a player (well, not the texture but the basic figure) and though I'm pleased with the side view and front view, when I turn it the player looks really clunky and square. I tried adding a smooth modifier but it deformed the whole thing. any suggestions

biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 12:20:03 PM »

Move the red ones closer to middle in both X and Y.
Move the teal ones (and maybe the ones on the leg that fall on that line) more to the middle of the character (in Y).
Move the yellow ones toward the center of the leg in Y (just a nudge).

Edit
Almost forgot: great progress Smiley
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 12:25:25 PM by biomechanic » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 02:03:19 PM »

also use smooth normal (not smooth mesh)

beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »

I have a little red spot on my image mapping thing but couldnt find or see it  Droop but besides that I dont have a whole lot of problems here--but the the whole image needs a little editing.
Edit:
David Finseth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 07:09:20 AM »

This is actually a pretty charming first character. The little bit of texture on the pants is really nice. I would now work on making the head smoother and the hands are still a little blocky.

You could stylize this character more if your looking to make the whole look more concise or you might want to smooth out the geometry more. Either work, but I found stylizing my work helped me a lot when I was first starting out.
bitserum
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 07:28:58 AM »

That's a cute character! I haven't worked with blender yet, but, if your intent is to keep it low poly - you seem to be missing smoothing groups information. This would remove some of the clunkiness.

http://ruzzy2006.deviantart.com/art/Blender-Smoothing-groups-tut-46039478
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 02:47:27 AM »

That's a cute character! I haven't worked with blender yet, but, if your intent is to keep it low poly - you seem to be missing smoothing groups information. This would remove some of the clunkiness.

http://ruzzy2006.deviantart.com/art/Blender-Smoothing-groups-tut-46039478

You could also use the "mark sharp" option together with the edgesplit modifier.
This makes it looks like some areas are smooth but it's still lowpoly.  Coffee

Splitting the model is a terrible idea. I'm sorry but it just is.

Asepl
Level 0

Muff muff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 12:39:57 PM »

Ho ho, reminds me of my times when making in blender. However I was way worse than you are  Coffee Great first character (first?). I also see you managed to unwrap it properly which is also a nice thing (i remember how problematic was that for me..). The hands and the head are indeed too boxy, you could try using the (now, i don't remember the name of this in blender, but in 3ds max it's turbosmooth, either can be subdivision surface).

Eventually the smooth tool could make it all look nicer, cause right now we can see the single faces.

Keep it up, you definitely have the imagination and possibilites to make awesome stuff in the future  Smiley
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 10:17:16 AM »

Thank you everyone for the help so far!
@David thanks, much appreciated!
@bitserum and rundown, these are pretty helpful; haven't tried the method yet but will definitely take a go at it!
@Aspel, trust me, it's my first! But I will admit to watching A TON of videos to get me to this point.

Here's some progress:

Not sure if you can tell from this but the hat is a separate mesh (is mesh the right word? not sure), it was a little tricky to get the underside of the hat textured (and only partially textured at that). I also found some issues with the UV mapping (I tried to put buttons down the shirt):

I also have found a lot of problems pertaining to my UV mapping in general (not that they are pressing problems but there's areas that are really confusing and distorted):http://oi39.tinypic.com/23jlk0n.jpg, mostly the red spot, the shirt and the hat.

Next I'll probably start rigging or something. I'm using this guy for a player in Unity, I am also learning to program and whatnot, and am just as new (if not newer) to Unity than I am Blender. So I'm not sure if I should do the rigging in Unity or blender, or what to really do to get my guy working right. I think I'll also start some making of buildings or landscape or something, and continue fiddling with Unity to where I actually have a working game of sorts (the ability to walk jump and explore around a landscape... Concerned )
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 11:03:29 AM »

Can't wait to see that guy in a game.

As for your troubles, it looks like there aren't enough seams and the bottom half of the torso gets all squished into a small portion of the UV map.

Try adding seams at the loops connecting the arms to the torso, and another two running down the sides of the torso. This should create four UV islands - two for the arms and one each for the front and back of the torso.

It seems like the hands could also use more seams. Add one running around the outline of the hand (lower, near the palm rather than back of the hand). It doesn't have to go all the way around, you can start around the red and end at green.

The hat's UVs also seem squished, so probably some seams there could help  Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmiley as for the red spot - I don't even know where that is supposed to go.

I'm not sure if I linked you that already, but here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41232
A lot of great low poly art there and people often post their meshes and textures. Worth taking a look at how pros unwrap their stuff.
beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 03:29:20 PM »

@biomichanic thanks again! I guess I'll just redo the seams.

last update of the night (and probably all week, busy with school Sad ):
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »

need any help with the uvw? I would gladly do it for you!
It would be unfolded so that there wouldn't be any distortions what so ever.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic