Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411587 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 10:41:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopHelp with color palette
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help with color palette  (Read 1659 times)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2013, 09:44:13 PM »

Hey there, I could really use a hand here. any kind of advice would be appreciated Smiley

I'm just trying to get a nice color palette, I made this in photoshop, there's a lot of experimentation with greens and blues.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 11:30:07 PM »

Shameless bump. I could really use some help  Tongue

From my readings online I could find a lot of information on pixel art and spriting related to creating independent objects, but nothing about the whole picture, background and foregruond hue and values etc. I guess this isn't information restricted to game art or pixel art, it's one of those things that artists and designers in general know.

Crypit
Level 1

Has an IQ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 01:23:59 AM »

I work with a limited amount of colours on my art, but I am not sure if that style would work well with yours. Here is the palette I use, which is just an organised version (maybe a few edits) of DawnBringer's palette.

Even my pixels are fat.
Abraxas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »

I work with a limited amount of colours on my art, but I am not sure if that style would work well with yours. Here is the palette I use, which is just an organised version (maybe a few edits) of DawnBringer's palette.

ey, it's pretty cool. What is that 'egg' you draw in the middle of each set?
Crypit
Level 1

Has an IQ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 09:25:09 PM »

The egg is just a third colour to help bridge any severe hue/saturation ramps or can just act as a third shade if necessary. There aren't many colours in that palette, so its a technique that can be very useful sometimes.

Even my pixels are fat.
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 08:05:38 AM »

hey! replies! I didn't see those before.

I mean color palette in a more general meaning. I think I need a concept artist to help me, actually.

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 11:40:10 AM »

Something you could try:
Conker: just take a picture that represents the game atmosphere you want to make and make a palette using the indexed color mode in photoshop(CS2 is free on adobe website). Then you can modify some of the indexes if you find there is not enough balance, but I think it's interesting to keep going with the limitations of a palette because it forces you to think outside of the usual patterns(ex:green grass, white snow, blue water etc).
You don't need Photoshop for indexed mode, any proper image editor will do.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic