Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411587 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 07:57:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopCrits on this work in progress?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Crits on this work in progress?  (Read 1878 times)
Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 21, 2013, 02:30:25 PM »

Hey.

This is a mock up for a game I'm gonna be making with a buddy soon. It's gonna be a 4 player collect all the coins 'em up. This is a toy box themed world, so I'm using Lego blocks n' cork boards for platforms.

It's all really sketchy right now n' there're shift-assisted perfect lines which'll be freehand drawn when I polish it up a bit (don't like perfect lines). I'd be very grateful for some crits n' opinions.

WWW.ZOMBIESAURUSGAMES.COM
JigsawDisease
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 01:55:03 PM »

will the characters be coloured at some point?

JigsawDisease
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 12:48:11 PM »

i hope you didnt think i was being snarky, it was a genuine question - the coloured enemies draw my eye a lot more than the (i assume) player characters

Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 05:36:47 AM »

Didn't think you were being snarky at all, buddy. Thanks for replying. Sorry for taking so long to reply there, just moved house n' have nae Internet connection.
But aye, the players'll be coloured up. This is just a sketch to get an idea of how I wanna have things laid out. I've already started redrawing everything from scratch, so it's all cleaner n' not as scruffy.

Blambo
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 07:27:08 PM »

Huh, I dunno, I kind of like that all the characters are paper cutouts in a colored world.
VictorGrunn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 04:31:44 AM »

The block sides look a little too blank as they are, especially in contrast with the face of them. Even if it's not a fully detailed attempt, putting some graphics on the side of those would really help.

I like the characters and the general look.
Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 06:15:19 AM »

Aye, slapping letters on the sides of the blocks is the way too go. Thanks. It looks a bit lazy with just a solid colour there. Thinking of adding slight perspective sides to the main platforms too.

I've been tinkering away at the characters. These are just the base players (they won't be blue when they're finished). I wanna have players customise their characters by sticking on hats n' hair n' clothes n' faces. The weapons will be customised too. Baseball bats, fish, candy canes, those horse stick things. Stupid stuff like that.

Dayvi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 08:10:39 AM »

The outside bricks are far too distracting. Replacing them with just wood might be better.

VictorGrunn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 03:04:41 PM »

Yeah, agreed about the bricks unless rainbow distraction is the point.

Are you going to be showing off any animations with these characters? I'm curious how that will look.
Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 07:06:16 AM »

Totally agree on the Lego bricks. They're really in your face. Wood blocks are the way to go. Aye, I'll be able to do a better variety with the shapes, so it won't look as repetitive. Thanks for your input, chaps.

We're not sure how we're animating the characters yet. Because of all the customisation, we're probably gonna just animate them in the game. Won't look as pretty as hand animation, but it'll save me pulling my hair out drawing each custom item to fit every frame of each animation!

Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 03:21:17 AM »

Here's the updated mock-up (the background still needs redrawn). The blue guy with the P1 above his head is the default character (you'll be able to pick a colour). He's running about with just a pair of boxers on.

The other characters are examples of what I wanna do with the customisation. Obviously, none of those characters can make it into the game, or Nintendo'd be up our arses faster than we could make a playthrough of one of their precious games!

Dayvi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 06:41:56 AM »

Looks much better with the wood. Time for a devlog topic for us to follow? Smiley

Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 06:04:45 AM »

Thanks. A devlog'd be a good idea. We haven't actually started working on this game game yet, still finishing up our first game (you can check that one out if you follow the link in my signature). But aye, a devlog'll make sure we keep on top of things n' don't lag behind. It'd be cool to get loads of inpout from people following it.

Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 04:48:46 AM »

Redrew everything from scratch. Didn't like the characters I had, so I shrunk the bodies down n' enlarged the heads.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic