Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 05:20:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsRequest a Tutorial
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: Request a Tutorial  (Read 182949 times)
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2008, 04:59:12 AM »

I think the effect in Sonic is specially made for that, not a general parallax.  So for that you'd just have a couple of water layers, and set the position of the layers based on the position of the waterline relative to the middle of the screen.

middle = screen.h/2 (or wherever you want to root it..)
distance = water.y - middle
layer[1].y = middle + distance * 1.1 or something
layer[2].y = middle + distance * 1.2 (1.21?) etc (should probably loop this)

You could do it with freefloating parallax layers too, but then you'd have to calcualte offsets and such (unless you root it at the center point).

(uh, never mind the rest that was here.. it was overcomplicating stuff and didn't make much sense anyway..)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 02:20:05 AM by mjau » Logged
Squirrelsquid
Pixelhead
Level 1

oh! you need that nut?

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2008, 06:39:22 PM »

not realy a request, but I'd like to do a sprite tutorial/workshop. not exactly gamedesign, but well.
Also, I'm not sure of the subject, I was thinking effects animation? at least thats the part I think I'm best at.
KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2008, 07:30:25 PM »

not realy a request, but I'd like to do a sprite tutorial/workshop. not exactly gamedesign, but well.
Also, I'm not sure of the subject, I was thinking effects animation? at least thats the part I think I'm best at.
This sounds very appealing to me (especially if it means I can learn to make effects like yours...). LOL

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2008, 12:49:25 AM »

yes, sprite effect tutorial please! Grin

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2008, 12:55:51 AM »

I'd like an AS3 tutorial, you know one of those where they make a small game and let you follow step by step. I'm pretty sure it's out there somewhere, so if anyone could direct me to it I'd be thankful Smiley
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2008, 02:53:06 PM »

http://www.emanueleferonato.com/

That guy has a lot of stuff. You might find something useful.

MrLollige
Level 0

Pixel artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2008, 04:10:31 AM »

I'd like an AS3 tutorial, you know one of those where they make a small game and let you follow step by step. I'm pretty sure it's out there somewhere, so if anyone could direct me to it I'd be thankful Smiley
Seconded

policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2008, 08:25:12 AM »

Seconded

http://www.kongregate.com/labs

I think you are looking for something like this?
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2008, 09:35:41 AM »

That's AS2.

policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2008, 09:46:33 AM »

OH SORRY MAN I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO READ LULZ.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2008, 09:52:09 AM »

That's the tutorial I used to make my little game Darkrun, but afterwards I was pissed of because I had learned all that stuff for no use... It was posted on the main page some weeks ago. Great tutorial though :D
MrLollige
Level 0

Pixel artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: December 11, 2008, 10:02:06 AM »

Seconded

http://www.kongregate.com/labs

I think you are looking for something like this?

I did follow that tutorial, and yes, something like that but for as3 would be useful Smiley

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2008, 08:55:18 AM »

I would like to request a dungeon/cave generation tutorial, for roguelikes and other procedually generated maps.

twitter: @docky
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2008, 12:44:17 PM »

I'd like that, too.

Edit:
Gfgfghhreaaaa! Dudes, I need to know how to make a basic platformer engine with emphasis on slopes (which I still don't fully understand) and moving platforms. Damn sunova-- this is so frustrating. Preferably in Game Maker.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 08:44:17 PM by Xתּסּוּ » Logged

mirosurabu
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2008, 09:24:05 AM »

I would like a tutorial on how to write a code in C++ which won't give you headaches later when it gets bigger or when you try to read it and modify it.

I wonder whether there is good tutorial on how to write clean and readable code for games.
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2008, 07:24:52 PM »

I'd like that, too.

Edit:
Gfgfghhreaaaa! Dudes, I need to know how to make a basic platformer engine with emphasis on slopes (which I still don't fully understand) and moving platforms. Damn sunova-- this is so frustrating. Preferably in Game Maker.

chevyray made an awesome platforming engine in game maker.  it's in one of his threads in the totoreals section.  download and his accompanying library, or if you don't have gm pro, download the engine and modify the script to call game maker functions instead of his proprietary ones.  and it is JAWESOME.  it supports slopes.  moving platforms.. you're on your own on that one.  probably not hard at all to implement though.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: December 14, 2008, 09:33:25 PM »

probably not hard at all to implement though.
Lies!!! Angry

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 15, 2008, 04:34:46 AM »

probably not hard at all to implement though.
Lies!!! Angry

The method I use for moving platforms and conveyors is to have a detector sprite of some sort located at the player's feet that can overlap the ground.  Then give the ground objects a variable for "additional speed" or whatever.  The detector detects the platform, gets it's variable for speed, and adds it to the player's current speed.

I don't know how that would work in GM though.  I've only used this method in MMF and Construct.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 04:38:54 AM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2008, 09:55:05 AM »

For the couple of folks who we interested in a Construct totoreal, I've posted the first three tutorials in my series on the Construct boards.  You can find them here.

They're not for total newbies though.  They're aimed at novice users that have a basic working knowledge of how to navigate around the IDE.  If you're completely new to Construct, I suggest you take the Ghost Shooter tutorial here before moving on to mine.

And I would have made a separate thread, but I think I'll wait for the rest of the lessons to be finished.  As for when that is... who knows?  I'll post them as I complete them.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2008, 09:59:32 AM »

totoreal

twitter: @docky
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic