Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 03:01:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMusic Fall
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Music Fall  (Read 2252 times)
geel9
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2009, 07:40:42 PM »

Hey!

My name is Joshua Coffey. I've been working on a flash rhythm game for a while, but it's quite different from all those other games!

Instead of pushing buttons monotonously in effort to gain combos etc., you're flicking your wrist, trying to catch notes falling down according to the music.

Instead of telling you what kind of criticism I WANT, I'll tell you what I don't want.

I don't want:
"X song isn't synced!": I know.

"There are only four songs!": Those are only the confirmed songs. More will be added.

"X song stopped halfway": I know. It's not done being synced. In the words of Linus Torvalds(Not exact Quote):Release often, release early, something something...

"Add keyboard controls!": ................

"The UI and graphics suck!": I'm looking for an artist. However, do feel free to politely tell me what kind of graphics you think should go with the game. UI as well.

Here's a (somewhat old)

. It doesn't include achievements or the tutorial, which have been put in place.

I haven't been working on this game in the past few weeks for a few reasons.

Mainly, I was promoted to Indie Games Editor at Gamersinfo.net. That takes up a bit of my time.

Also, my syncer, "Kynosaur"(Amazing at it as well!) has been busy.

A few pictures:

And, without further adieu, here is the game! Coincidentally, you just lost it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 02:30:46 PM by geel9 » Logged
Innerscope
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 02:15:02 PM »

Pros:
Simplicity in controls
Addictive gameplay

Cons:
Occasional hiccups during gameplay
Difficulty curve is very easy--> easy-medium-->near impossible.

While I'm glad your not making another guitar hero clone, some work needs to be done with the game rules/goals.
-Notes of the same color coming in at a greater frequency offered less challenge and more reward.
-If there are two notes on opposite sides of the screen falling simultaneously there is no way to get both. (as opposed to guitar hero, where your holding the respective keys)

There's potential here though.  Beer!

Current Project: Wizard's Pie (iOS)
Future Project: Maiden Days (iOS)
Other Stuff: Blog
 & Web Site (Under Construction)
LazyWaffle
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 04:26:42 PM »

Not bad, not bad at all! It's a pretty fun game, though the music quality could be better. Flash games usually have the problem of utilizing overcompressed techno songs. It's fine, I guess, but for a music-based game I think it could be better.

But yeah, definitely a good start.
geel9
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 02:57:34 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.

I added a sound effect for when you miss a note and lightened the red flash.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 08:29:25 AM »

It was enjoyable, but I think there needs to be more in terms of scoring.

Scoring needs to be more detailed. Maybe for catching a note as soon as possible instead of just clipping it with your side, or in a similar way, how close the note is to the 'middle' of the little paddle thing (and if you catch it with the side, there is no such accuracy bonus).

Also, I got an achievement and it lagged and I lost my huge multiplier =/
If you cannot avoid that, maybe award achievements at the end of a song instead of during, when the player is trying to concentrate on catching the notes. ^^

LazyWaffle
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 03:47:14 PM »

Scoring needs to be more detailed. Maybe for catching a note as soon as possible instead of just clipping it with your side, or in a similar way, how close the note is to the 'middle' of the little paddle thing (and if you catch it with the side, there is no such accuracy bonus).

As opposed to?
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 06:13:26 PM »

Wonderful start!

But I feel that this system loses the all important beat of the song. It's still kinda there, but it's not as distinct as other music games.

As a suggestion, if clicking at the exact moment (plus a split second) you touch the "note" could give you a small bonus, you could easily restore the beat of the song.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 07:45:28 PM »

As opposed to?

Oh c'mon you can read.

... as soon as possible instead of just clipping it with your side.
... as soon as possible as opposed to just clipping it with your side.

Do I need to spoon-feed you my meanings? Tongue

If you catch the note with the top of the 'paddle crotch' thing then you get more points than if you catch the note with a side edge.

LazyWaffle
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 03:24:50 AM »

As opposed to?

Oh c'mon you can read.

... as soon as possible instead of just clipping it with your side.
... as soon as possible as opposed to just clipping it with your side.

Do I need to spoon-feed you my meanings? Tongue

If you catch the note with the top of the 'paddle crotch' thing then you get more points than if you catch the note with a side edge.
That has less to do with the time you catch it and more about what part of the paddle you catch it with.
geel9
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 01:56:51 PM »

How would clicking work, exactly? Since a note is deleted when it touches the paddle, making clicking would mean I'd have to make it not delete when it touches the paddle, and rather delete it when the player clicks. But it's only supposed to be a bonus.
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 02:41:16 PM »

Hm, good point I hadn't thought of that.
Maybe if touching it makes it go invisible, and when it reaches the bottom of the screen it is deleted.
geel9
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 03:43:51 PM »

Or maybe just randomly, the note will be a click note?
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 06:45:55 PM »

Perhaps for notes that represent a bit more emphasis?

I feel like the actual "catcher" is a bit sketchy, yes. If I'm to believe I am catching these notes then why does it count it when I bump it on the side? Not a huge problem, though.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic