Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411722 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 22, 2024, 02:04:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)C++0x
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: C++0x  (Read 1549 times)
kiwi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2010, 12:04:43 AM »

While searching random stuff on the internet these days I found this wikipedia article which describes the new ISO standard for C++.
I got really excited by the new random number generator seeing as now you can set a certain distribution and lambda closures look interesting as well.

So anyway, what do you think about the new standards?

st33d
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 01:08:04 AM »

Well I certainly didn't know about the parsing of nested vectors issue. I do that all the time in Flash (mapping levels as grids).

Reading that article reminds me of how daunting it's going to be returning to C after I'm done with my game.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 03:07:20 AM »

1. The random library is basically from boost, so if you want to try it, get boost
 2. The closure feature and many other are already implemented in VC10 and a lot more in gcc http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx0x.html
 3. C++0x will allow us to write clearer code with less typing; in theory at least.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 04:46:41 AM »

The two big things for me in C++0x are rvalue references, and concepts, which were unfortunately canceled.

Most of the new template stuff is really interesting too.

What would John Carmack do?
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 08:33:04 AM »

Probably the thing people will most immediately notice is "auto", at least if you do any stl at all. It means no more typing list<vector,int>::iterator::iterator all the time.

Also I feel compelled to note that, as I understand, C++0x was just a placeholder name, and we've now run out of 0x years, so the actual name would now be C++1x or C++11 or something. This is tragic, as it means I can no longer refer to it as COCKS
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:39:51 AM by mcc » Logged

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
st33d
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 08:41:41 AM »

Cheesy
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 09:36:32 AM »

Also interesting is that C1x and Ada 2012 are on the way too.  Language updates for everybody.

What would John Carmack do?
kiwi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 09:47:36 AM »

1. The random library is basically from boost, so if you want to try it, get boost
 2. The closure feature and many other are already implemented in VC10 and a lot more in gcc http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx0x.html
 3. C++0x will allow us to write clearer code with less typing; in theory at least.

1. I remember hearing that some of the improvements were inspired by things that already exist in boost, didn't know it was the random number generator's case though, thanks for the tip.

2. Thanks for the link, I'm using gcc 4.4.1 and Visual Studio 2008 (dual boot) right now and I knew that you could enable C++0x in gcc by using -std=c++0x, but I didn't actually know how much of the standard was implemented. As for VS2008 I found the feature pack that provides support for some of the C++0x standards. 

3. Let's hope so  Grin

Also I feel compelled to note that, as I understand, C++0x was just a placeholder name, and we've now run out of 0x years, so the actual name would now be C++1x or C++11 or something. This is tragic, as it means I can no longer refer to it as COCKS

If you think of the number in hexadecimal it could still be C++0C, certainly not as cox though Cheesy

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 12:30:42 PM »

1. Boost being the nest of most new standard libraries, most new standard libraries comes from boost.

Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 02:44:50 PM »

As for VS2008 I found the feature pack that provides support for some of the C++0x standards. 

The Visual Studio 2008 feature pack includes TR1 (C++0x library additions) but doesn't include any C++0x language features.  Visual Studio 2010 has lambda functions, rvalue references, nullptr, auto and static_assert.  It is still behind GCC as far as C++0x features go.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic