Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411610 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 01:37:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBaby Viking and the Alien Invasion
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Baby Viking and the Alien Invasion  (Read 2248 times)
ColossusEntertainment
Level 1

Royal Leamington Spa, UK

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2007, 04:09:13 AM »

There's an annual event in Sweden, called Swedish Game Awards, where students compete in making the best game. This year SGA held a "warmup" competition, also open to non-students, where you had to make a 2D game in a week, on the theme "Vikings and the future".

This is what I came up with, and I'd love to get some feedback on it, and suggestions for how to improve it and make it fun (if that's even possible  Undecided)

Download the game here http://www.colossusentertainment.com/Downloads/BabyViking_1_5.zip
(the game is using my Pixie engine, and the source code for both the game and the engine can be found on my site, for those interested).

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 10:57:12 AM »

Unfortunatly, the download link doesn't work...

ColossusEntertainment
Level 1

Royal Leamington Spa, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 11:11:17 AM »

The server seems to be down at the moment  Cry which very rarely happens... I'll post a message here when my web host has got it up and running again.
ColossusEntertainment
Level 1

Royal Leamington Spa, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 12:17:51 PM »

Ok, seems to be up again now :D
Tex Pine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 08:21:31 PM »

That's a weird one! Smiley I'd like to point a few things:

1. I was not able to link the stealing of food with the losing of points. It would be better to clearly show the player how much he is loosing with each fruit stolen by the aliens.

2. There are no sound effects, they are really missed.

3. It is hard to avoid shooting from teleporting aliens. Perhaps you would consider a jumping function, or maybe a move to use the axe like a shield (down arrow key? holding attack button?).

4. It is not instantly obvious that you can only hit UFOs while they are with the light cone on. You could put them higher when they are only flying around.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 10:12:57 AM »

Hey there!
I finaly got around to play the little game.

Ok, as Tex said, I find it weird that we can't hit the spacecrafts when they are not abducting something. The ships would need to show the player they are invincible in some way (making them fly higher would work).

In general, I felt the game became redundant since all we have to do is move around and press space bar to win. A bit more gameplay elements would be interesting. Perhaps the baby could "juggle" with the axe ie: throw it around. This way you could develop new game mechanics.

I found it weird that we can't see the crops on the ground. Perhaps it could be nice to see al the places where the space crafts can abduct crops too.

Anyway, it's an interesting concept. Zany, weird but some what funny. I think ti would be fun if you went further down the concpets with zanier elements thrown around.

Well, keep it up!
Later!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic