Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 02:06:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSever
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sever  (Read 2115 times)
clevceo
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2007, 03:04:04 AM »

Sever is my first ambitious project.  Let's start with a screenie:

It's basically connect-the-dots deathmatch, only instead of lines and dots, you're a multitentacled creature.  The dots are joints and the lines are arms.  Unfortunately, I'm still using placeholder graphics.

If you'll look at the top-left corner of the screen, you'll see a pair of (+) joints.  Those are what each player starts with.  You'll see another pair near the bottom.  The (Y) joints split the arm in two and I'll explain the (Z) joints in a minute.

At the top-right are a bunch of green joints disconnected from the rest of the player's joints.  This is because they've been "severed" (intersected by an enemy arm).  From, the point of intersection, the arms shrink until they are gone.  The white splotches are where joints were destroyed.

If you'll look beneath the cursor, you'll see a bunch of white dots in the arm.  These are the little symbiotic guys (for lack of a better term) that build your arms and joints.  When one reaches the end of an unfinished arm, the length of the arm is incremented and the little guy turns around.

The little guys are spawned at a consistent rate by the (+) joints.  They die if severed.  The idea is that if you build too many arms at once, the little guys will spread thin and the building will slow down.  Also, they make your arms more precious.  They require the player to be smart with his construction.

The (Z) nodes give the little guys a speed boost.  These are useful for building arms quickly.  Great for scouting and rushing.

The object of the game is to sever your enemy's arms with your own.  In this screenie, I actually severed my own route (right-click) because the enemy is a still a pacifist.

Ignore the rock arch.  It's the only non-player sprite I've made, so I used it generously in the screenie.  It has no real significance aside from general prettiness.

I have a dev blog and an Experimental Gameplay Project page with a more descriptive pdf.

I would love some feedback.  I'm assuming my description isn't very clear so I'd be obliged to answer any questions.

clevceo
sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 03:03:42 PM »

I can't seem to find a link to download the game from.  Am I just blind?

clevceo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 10:48:44 PM »

Excuse me.  It's a work in progress.  I'm working on completing a small technical demo to showcase some simple gameplay.  There won't be any multiplayer yet, and the enemies won't fight back, but your imagination can fill that in.

Anyway, the full version won't be freeware.  Probably $10.  Then again, I may change my mind for all I know.

EDIT: Hey, I like your sig.  That's a cool quote.  That's what indie's all about.  It's almost as though he's directing that statement at the modern gaming industry.

clevceo
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 10:54:42 PM by clevceo » Logged
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 08:43:24 AM »

It's hard to give any feedback without any actual play.
Although the concept looks interesting, I can't really say anything until I get to play it.

Later!

clevceo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 10:23:54 AM »

Point taken.  I'll put all my efforts into the technical demo.  I hope to get it done in the next week or two.  However, with school starting and all, I can't make any promises.  Cross your fingers for me.

clevceo
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic