Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 03:36:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHumble indie bundle - pay whatever you want
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: Humble indie bundle - pay whatever you want  (Read 74150 times)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2010, 07:05:18 AM »

Hmmm... I still don't think limiting the number of times you can download is DRM. In my mind (and as far as I understand from Wikipedia) DRM limits how you can use, share, copy the product you've downloaded -- not how many times you can download it.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2010, 07:14:19 AM »

The one-click thing is specious reasoning. Amazon for example was already extremely popular when they finally introduced one-click shopping.

Mr. Yapper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2010, 07:16:14 AM »

I had all the games but I donated to get Lugaru, the only one I've missed before.

I was totally regretting it because it simply sucks, it's very clunky and the level design (if you dare to call an heightmap a level) is just inexistent

I wouldn't say it sucks - I still found it really fun to play. Although I would never have payed $20 for it. (maybe $5 would be the limit)

But I completely agree with you about the level design. They could have put a bit more effort in. Every level it's just blocks in different places, with either grass, snow or sand.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2010, 07:27:34 AM »

Hmmm... I still don't think limiting the number of times you can download is DRM. In my mind (and as far as I understand from Wikipedia) DRM limits how you can use, share, copy the product you've downloaded -- not how many times you can download it.

limiting how many times you can download something doesn't limit how you can use, share, or copy something? wha...? that's the first time i've ever heard that reasoning.

in any case, regardless of whether you consider it drm or not, i think limiting the number of times someone can download something or install something is particularly offensive behavior; i resent when people do it with software i buy, and i'd never do that with the software i sell.

Mr. Yapper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2010, 07:50:33 AM »

Would you say a download limit is even necessary with this bundle? With $701,985 within a week, I wouldn't say piracy would be a cause of concern. Besides, would a download limit even increase the sales?

But I find it strange that people would pirate this when you could just pay a dollar, or even just a cent. Especially when you can give it to charity.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2010, 07:59:18 AM »

I settled on 20 dollars for the bundle.

Also, most people probably end up pirating it unwittingly. Someone makes a post on a forum saying "there are six free games for download here", and people end up "pirating" it without realizing that there was a sale going on in the first place.

That's my take on it, at least.  Shrug
Mr. Yapper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2010, 08:06:33 AM »

I settled on 20 dollars for the bundle.

Also, most people probably end up pirating it unwittingly. Someone makes a post on a forum saying "there are six free games for download here", and people end up "pirating" it without realizing that there was a sale going on in the first place.

That's my take on it, at least.  Shrug

Well these guys are missing out on an extremely awesome song...
Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2010, 08:07:58 AM »

Hmmm...explain please!  Huh?
Mr. Yapper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2010, 08:12:42 AM »

Hmmm...explain please!  Huh?

Well I guess it's not a song, but that video is cool  Smiley
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2010, 08:17:57 AM »

I was gifted the humble bundle after I whined about having cut my CC a little bit too early. I've been humbled.  Giggle Then again the guy probably only spent like $0.01 on it like a few dozen times and sent 'em to friends as gifts.

Oh well. Finally I got to beat Lugaru. Damn that's hard.

Oh hey, they added Samorost 2. Something for my mom to play!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2010, 08:32:43 AM »

So far I have to play Penumbra, Gish and Aquaria (I never beat it the first time I got it).

I played Lugaru yesterday, and I could have a hell of a talk with the Wolfire dudes about their combat system. Being only able to attack enemies when you're close to them always feels clunky and unresponsive. Can't imagine why they'd make it this way.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2010, 08:47:44 AM »

Yea, the combat system was hard to get used to. By the way, hold attack button and run into enemies - you'll attack them as soon as they get in range. Also, hold L+R buttons to lay colored eggs.

Okay, that last bit... I lied.
Mr. Yapper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2010, 08:51:24 AM »

So far I have to play Penumbra, Gish and Aquaria (I never beat it the first time I got it).

I played Lugaru yesterday, and I could have a hell of a talk with the Wolfire dudes about their combat system. Being only able to attack enemies when you're close to them always feels clunky and unresponsive. Can't imagine why they'd make it this way.

I think after a while it gets a bit easier. But It would help if you could have a little bit more control over the combat.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2010, 09:46:31 AM »

By the way, hold attack button and run into enemies - you'll attack them as soon as they get in range.

Huh, I didn't know it worked that way.

I've found myself relying quite heavily on reversals to get anywhere in that game.

Shade tells me Penumbra will make me piss my pants. Can't wait. Kiss

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Mr. Yapper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »

On friday night, I'm going to turn out the lights and force myself to play Penumbra. I keep getting scared like a little girl  Embarrassed
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2010, 09:54:58 AM »

limiting how many times you can download something doesn't limit how you can use, share, or copy something? wha...? that's the first time i've ever heard that reasoning.

Limiting how many times you can download a product doesn't limit how you can use, share or copy the product you've already downloaded. The product itself isn't affected by a limit to the number of times you can download it. Therefore the product itself doesn't contain DRM and the product itself isn't limited. It'd be like saying that a game you bought at a store contains DRM just because you're not able to walk into the store and get a new copy as many times as you want.

Anyway, this is going off-topic...

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2010, 11:27:16 AM »

The "Temple" mod for lugaru is better than the vanilla campaign. There's supposed to be another recommended one called "Empire," but I haven't tried it.

Mr. Yapper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2010, 11:30:11 AM »

Well, whether it is classed as DRM or not, I would really hate it if there was a download limit. It would just cause more hassle for the people who actually bought the games, and it would hardly prevent people downloading without paying - pirates would just go elsewhere for it with very little hassle, such as TPB
Eraser
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2010, 11:33:32 AM »

By the way, hold attack button and run into enemies - you'll attack them as soon as they get in range.

Huh, I didn't know it worked that way.

I've found myself relying quite heavily on reversals to get anywhere in that game.

Shade tells me Penumbra will make me piss my pants. Can't wait. Kiss
Yeah I've been purposefully playing Penumbra at midnight or later every night. It's been quite a trip so far  Crazy
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2010, 11:33:49 AM »

Wow $740,000 WTF I'm sure most of these devellopers never saw that much money.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic