Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411536 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58438 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 01:57:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsRecording gameplay videos using a dll!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Recording gameplay videos using a dll!  (Read 2070 times)
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:46:24 PM »

I've had trouble recording fluid videos of my games since Game Maker is slow and my computer even slower. But I found a way to achieve some really nice output and I made this little example:
http://cactusquid.com/misc/vcap.zip

It uses a dll that can capture video from within GM so that you get a perfect playback rate no matter what resolution your game has. Speedwise it's not very fast, but the results are perfect aside from the player acting robotic due to how you play when the framerate is very low. There is also no sound support, so you'll have to edit that in or play some music over the video you record.

GMC topic where the dll was posted by its creator Frostblade:
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=479697

The example is commented and the DLL is extremely easy to use as there are only four functions written for it. If you're new to coding this might not be the first thing you want to think about though. And make sure to extract all the files to the same folder before trying the example.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 09:59:34 AM »

Awesome! I know one goodie I'm looking forward to including in... well, just about every project from now on!! Cool find.

Ant
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 10:09:34 AM »

Yeah I can't make game-recordings as my comp seems too awful for that so this piqued my interest... shame about it not recording sound.
jkd003
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:33:02 AM »

This is awesome! Thanks Cactus!
Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 11:55:05 AM »

Very nice! I'll be trying it out as an alternative to my really-slow-screen-recorders that always slow my computer and recording down.

EddieBytes
Level 1

I have ideas, and I'm not afraid to use them

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 02:45:05 AM »

This is awesome, thanks for this!

Check out our thread for Boltus
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic