Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 02:24:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsCreating Flash Games in FlashPunk
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Creating Flash Games in FlashPunk  (Read 15762 times)
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 02:19:37 PM »

Yeah.

I figured, though, that it would set the audio file to stream rather than be fully loaded.

Anywho, FlashPunk is amazing. I'm going to keep working with it.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »

Any file embedded using the [Embed(...)] thing will be just stuck into the .SWF and downloaded along with the rest of it.  The "octet-stream" just means that you'd like the file to be treated as a generic bundle of bytes.  If you don't specify a mimeType, Flash will try to recognise what type of file it is and treat it correctly: treating PNGs as images, MP3s as sound, TTFs as fonts.

It is possible to dynamically load and stream stuff from external sources - it's what the YouTube player does all the time.  But it's usually not needed and can make distributing a finished game more tricky.

Really great to see such nicely made tutorials!
ChevyRay
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 03:24:52 PM »

Sound Effect tutorial is temporarily disabled until I can figure out why the hell it broke for seemingly no reason.

BAhkljhsdlkgf

EDIT: YAY I fixed it. Don't know why my strings were getting escaped this time when they weren't before, but all seems well now. Phew.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 01:17:47 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2010, 05:58:41 AM »

Started using this and till now I'm liking it, everything is really simple and easy to do. Great work! Smiley

Only problem I had was making a tilemap collision, it's not very intuitive IMO and most of the topics on the subject in the flashpunk forums are using deprecated stuff from older versions. A tutorial for that would be nice.

ChevyRay
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 08:22:41 AM »

I updated the first tutorial with more explicit instructions on getting a working debug player installed, for people who were having trouble. Now, the tutorial walks you through installing and pointing FlashDevelop to the Flash Player content projector debugger version.
Blindsight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 11:15:16 AM »

Certainly looks interesting. I'll have to check it out for my next project.

Chaos: It's the only system that works EVERY time.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 07:47:22 PM »

You really just need to throw the 'net' (I presume) folder into the 'src' folder if you're using FlashDevelop. Or put it wherever you have all your classes.
This step would be really useful to have as a "tip" in the main tutorial, especially for people who have never programmed in AS3 yet.

hi
ChevyRay
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 08:32:36 PM »

Yeah, I've basically been answering that same question for a week now. I thought people'd be looking up AS3 primers and stuff before trying out stuff like FlashPunk, but I was kinda dead wrong. I'll try to update the tutorial with a quick tip on importing the lib when I can.

Smiley Cheers!
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2010, 06:53:25 PM »

Maybe if you suggest one such a primer, in particular. It's hard finding a good resource to learn AS3.

ChevyRay
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 11:26:35 PM »

True, which is probably why I should just give everybody an easy route and write one myself.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2010, 10:53:28 PM »

I don't think you need a full primer as much as a brief explanation of how includes work in AS3.  I think most of the people who arrive at your site are going to go at learning everything "extra" (read: the basics) from trial & error rather than go search out what every line specifically means.  That probably counts more for oldies than newbies, since we pridefully figure since we already know C++ or Java or whatever other programming languages that we can just figure this flash stuff out, since we've seen people on Newgrounds that don't seem that intelligent.

hi
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 09:49:24 PM »

Well, I'm try doing it! Thank you very much!
Free Dating Sites
natural male enhancement

This poster makes a good point.

Using FlashPunk will both improve your dating life, AND make your penis grow to astonishing lengths... NATURALLY!
ChevyRay
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2010, 10:13:50 PM »

I foresaw that, as one can easily tell by the logo:

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 12:47:47 AM »

the hardest part for me so far was figuring out where to put the folder so yeah some kind of hint about that would be cool and also nice Tongue I ain't lookin' up shit about AS3. Just gonna bang my head against this thang until it dances for me.

B_ill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2010, 09:16:45 PM »

I caught a sidebar in the 2010 Game Career Guide about FlashPunk. Good work, Chevy Smiley

Game Programmer and Designer
Latest Release: Chemical Cubes for Android and Kindle Fire (iOS coming soon)
ChevyRay
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2010, 01:17:03 AM »

Yeah, Adam mentioned that he did some pimping for me in the GD article he wrote Smiley
Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2010, 11:28:10 PM »

Just finished the timing tutorial, and it looks AWESOME :D
Gotta make a game with it Tongue

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic