Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 09:32:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsNeed Help with SDL_TTF and Visual C++ 2010 Express
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need Help with SDL_TTF and Visual C++ 2010 Express  (Read 2846 times)
ASnogarD
Level 1

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2010, 10:58:28 AM »

A bit frustrated here so I am in need of some help...

In short I am going through Lazy Foo's SDL tutorials, and reached lesson 7 True Type Fonts... looked easy enough, install SDL_TFF, add it to the linker settings.
Nah, has to be a sod. SDL_TTF relies on Freetype2, but Freetype2 is a bloody project and needs to be built, I tried running the build for VC 2008, but it spat out a load of errors and to be honest I havent got enough experience with the IDE (or any IDE) to make out what the heck is happening.

I searched for a pre-built Freetype2 lib, found GNUWin but that has a Freetype6.dll and SDL_TFF is looking for a Freetype-6.dll (and changing the name of the dll doesnt work).
I found a program call Jam , thats suppose to make it easy to build Freetype2 .... EXCEPT YOU NEED TO BUILD THE PROGRAM JAM FIRST  Cry

1) I havent the foggiest idea what the Freetype2 lib is suppose to look like ? Is it a DLL ?
2) Why couldnt they include a compiled version ?
3) Why didnt the author of SDL_TTF include it if its a requirement ?
4) Why dont any of the SDL tutorials mention Freetype2 ? They all just say install and include SDL_TTF.dll ... and having installed and used SDL_Image with no hassles I thought the TTF would of been easier.

... help.

Any advice and assistance would be appreciated.
Thank you for taking the time to read my rant/request.

EDITED: Heh, meant Freetype2 ... not Freefont , edited the mistakes.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:52:40 PM by ASnogarD » Logged

Somethings are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully.
ASnogarD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 02:07:32 AM »

UPDATE:

Well I got around the problem by searching google for the actual DLL, and got lucky ... least it runs Foo's lesson correctly.

I just dont get why the FreeType project doesnt include the library, and seems to insist that users compile it themselves...

... either that or I missed the actual DLL in the download, but I couldnt find it and I couldnt compile it either in VS 10 express.

Ah, well least I can continue my lessons.

Somethings are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic