Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 06:54:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsStarting with Flash & Flixel - Making a platform game and a break out clone
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Starting with Flash & Flixel - Making a platform game and a break out clone  (Read 4008 times)
zuperxtreme
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2010, 06:42:35 AM »

Hi TGI,

I wanted to share two tutorials I wrote for beginners for Flash and Flixel. I start with setting up your environment to work with Flixel to a bit of OOP practice. In both tutorials I break up the code(or we step through it) so it isn't just copy and paste. At the end of both I provide the source so you can compare yours to mine.

Here they are:

Making a Break out clone.

Making a platform game.

If you have any questions, or something isn't working, feel free to let me know(either in Zoklet(I browse this one more often) or here). Cheers!  Smiley
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 08:12:41 AM »

You know someone is a programmer when they include nested parenthesis in their descriptions. Durr...?

From what I read it looks fairly extensive and useful to beginners.
zuperxtreme
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 07:08:36 AM »

You know someone is a programmer when they include nested parenthesis in their descriptions. Durr...?

From what I read it looks fairly extensive and useful to beginners.

Haha.  Embarrassed

Thanks. Hope it helps someone. Smiley
Kylotan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 08:32:52 AM »

Cool stuff, thanks. I've just started playing with Flixel, having watched Adam Atomic do some live-coding with it near me a few weeks ago, and although it seems like a great library the documentation on how to use it is a bit sparse.
ChevyRay
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 09:07:04 AM »

@Kylotan: have you checked out this extensive list of docs, tutorials, examples, and source code on the Flixel github wiki? You should be able to find enough there to get started with basic projects, and learn how game objects work and function.

Once you've done that, if you visit the Flixel category at FlashGameDojo, you will find a whole bunch of example code snippets that describe how to achieve different things (eg. "Collision", "Fix object on screen", or "UI, HUD or Status Overlay").

Just ctrl-F some keywords and you should be able to find what you want. Once you've got a handle on the basics, it's just a matter of finding out more specific things that you want to achieve, which sometimes there are built-in methods for, but sometimes there are not. In either case, giving the Flixel help forums a quick search should pop up an answer, and if not posting the question should result in a fairly quick reply if your question is not too complex.

Good luck Smiley
Kylotan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 09:25:41 AM »

@Kylotan: have you checked out this extensive list of docs, tutorials, examples, and source code on the Flixel github wiki? You should be able to find enough there to get started with basic projects, and learn how game objects work and function.
No, because there was no link to that from flixel.org that I could see. I see there's a link in a thread on a forum though. Wink It always amazes me how sometimes people fail to effectively organise their information. But I will definitely go through all the stuff here. Thanks!
ChevyRay
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 04:33:05 PM »

Yeah I know, that's why I asked Smiley lots of people tend to miss that.

It always amazes me how sometimes people fail to effectively organise their information.

Having been running FlashPunk for nearly a year now, it doesn't even remotely amaze me. In fact, it actually amazes me that it's as organized as it is! 0_o
Tourneau
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 08:35:16 PM »

Awesome tutorials, Thanks

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic