Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 07:58:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs Super Lumi Live - 2D pure platformer [Alpha Build]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Super Lumi Live - 2D pure platformer [Alpha Build]  (Read 2578 times)
Personman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 09:00:43 AM »

I have to ask, what makes this character a Beanie at all? It's a square! When I hear Beanie I think of this or this or this, none of which is anything like this character. You mentioned a connection to literal beans also, which is confusing - are they just bean farmers who happen to be squares and named themselves after their crop? I don't really get it :)

Regarding level B, I do that too - my route is not possible without doing that. It's suggested very naturally by trying for 100% - you go over to the left for the first gold thread, but you can only hit one of the two arrows, and then you hit all the rest and just fall straight to the goal. It seemed very intentional! I just went back for any% and got a 10.785.
CoreGG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 11:05:18 AM »

I love that old-school stage selection Smiley
and the graphics are great and simple too, keep it up!

IVOX - A New puzzle game!
MazK1985
Level 0

Maz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »

I like "Beanies: The big stitch up" most Smiley
Well ok..come back to it, if the time comes where you would want some artistic help  Smiley
How to bird is alright. I cringe a little bit when i play it, because it feels a little bit like a children's game with it's presentation. The controls are also not very good. I'm still proud of some of the levels though. But i guess i got better with all this things by now, so next time it will be better Smiley
But yeah, whatever, i don't want to start a conversation about that in your devlog  Giggle

I suppose the presentation could match the difficulty more but I did like the sound and visuals when the bird dies haha. I can't wait to see your next game, I'd be more than happy to playtest it for you Smiley

I have to ask, what makes this character a Beanie at all? It's a square! When I hear Beanie I think of this or this or this, none of which is anything like this character. You mentioned a connection to literal beans also, which is confusing - are they just bean farmers who happen to be squares and named themselves after their crop? I don't really get it Smiley

Regarding level B, I do that too - my route is not possible without doing that. It's suggested very naturally by trying for 100% - you go over to the left for the first gold thread, but you can only hit one of the two arrows, and then you hit all the rest and just fall straight to the goal. It seemed very intentional! I just went back for any% and got a 10.785.

Haha, I suppose that would create a lot of confusion. The character is meant to be a Beanbag/Hacky sack. He use to have stitching around the edges but it looked crap so I simplified him.

To be honest I haven't been optimising the levels for 100% runs, only for any% so I didn't intentionally create Level B with that in mind. I did adjust the level to make sure you couldn't get stuck from missing any Roto-Blocks or hitting them in the wrong order. My favourite part of those levels is the fact you can have many different ways to complete the levels. I use to design my Portal maps with this in mind.

I love that old-school stage selection Smiley
and the graphics are great and simple too, keep it up!

Thanks a lot! I'm a huge, huge fan of Super Mario Bros 3 so when I started making this game I knew I had to have a world map that was similar. I'm really glad you like the visuals too, I hope to have some simple decoration to theme the levels a bit better in the future.
Personman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 09:09:05 AM »

How's this coming along? I keep wanting more of it!
MazK1985
Level 0

Maz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2015, 06:08:58 PM »

It's coming along well thanks! Been mostly polishing the game further and creating new levels.

I posted an update on the site detailing the major changes if you want to check it out http://gemi-games.com/2015/11/07/you-can-double-jump/

Stuff I haven't mentioned on the site yet is about the clear screen now showing when a new record is made and also how far from medals you are. It still needs some work and it needs some really satisfying fanfare music like how satisfying Perfect Dark's completed level screen music is.

Also, the silver threads are saved now upon touching a checkpoint because the Pro medal is a harder to obtain "no death" style challenge, which makes losing silvers a bit redundant. The silvers will be a little trickier to get as a result and the Pro medals are a bit tighter and more balanced.
lobstersteve
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2015, 06:39:07 PM »

Glad to hear Smiley
Interesting read. .
MazK1985
Level 0

Maz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »

Hi,

It's been a while since I last posted here and wasn't sure if I should make a new topic to show the latest updates.  You can Double Jump is now called Super Lumi Live and has changed significantly in most ways except for gameplay.

Let me know if you think it would be appropriate to make a new thread and I hope you like the new alpha build containing the first season (world).

Thanks,
Marios.
MazK1985
Level 0

Maz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 05:19:46 AM »

Seasons in Super Lumi Live are traditionally called worlds in other games. Each Season is generally focused on teaching the player about different aspects of Lumi's movement. The first Season "Grassy Hills", for example, will let the player become familiar with the movement while learning the basics of Lumi's navigational abilities. By Season 2 you will hopefully be prepared for the "proper 'ard" levels to follow.

The latest area of the game to receive the Super Lumi Treatment is the Season screen. This is where you can select a level but it also shows you a bunch of information like what Medals and Tokens you've gotten on each level as well as your total Token counts. You can toggle checkpoints on or off here too for your speedrunning convenience.

Last but certainly not least Super Lumi Live finally has a release date! The first two Seasons containing 17 levels will be available for purchase on March 14th from Indie Game Stand and Itch.io. This is a one time purchase as all future updates will be without additional charge and this includes the other 4 Seasons that make up the main campaign of course but also any future DLC.

Looking forward to sharing my creation with everyone, thanks for reading,

Marios.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 06:32:34 AM by MazK1985 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic