Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 07:00:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTrip:One [Abandoned Alpha]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Trip:One [Abandoned Alpha]  (Read 2034 times)
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2010, 08:17:36 AM »

Hi there,

Here's a game I worked on for a few months.  I don't think I'll be doing any more work on it.  I'd still be interested to see what people think though.  I made it with a modified Flixel.

Cheers,

Jasper

Controls:

L/R: Turn
U/D: Thrust / Reverse

X: Ok / Primary Item
C: Cancel / Back / Secondary Item

ENTER: Bring up upgrade screen (can only upgrade when parked on top of the dropship).

HP is your ship's shield.  You can get it back by sliding on striped surfaces.
SP is your ship's energy, and you won't be able to use items (such as guns / shield) unless you have some.  It replenishes over time.

Notes:

You can hold the X button to get rid of all the text.  I'd recommend doing it first.  I meant to improve the textbox system so they were more like auto-popups as in Starfox.

I had planned to make the inventory screen so you could actually swap between items when away from the dropship.  Won't probably get round to it now.

There's quite a few items to be found.  You can upgrade them or your ship by collecting starmen, which are used as currency.

If you die, you drop your starmen, and if you don't then make it back to where you snuffed it, you'll lose them forever.  In general it's best to upgrade as soon as you can (such as at the start, because you begin with 200 or so starmen).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 01:22:30 PM by Jasper Byrne » Logged

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 01:10:47 PM »

It's a cool game, but the interface isn't very easy to navigate. I couldn't figure it out very well, honestly... it was annoying that the game didn't pause when you pressed enter. Explaining the controls would help also. And the friction against the ground could stand to be a little greater. I realize you're not planning on working on this more, but it is a good start; the graphics, sound, and engine are all solid.

increpare
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 04:53:09 PM »

Yeah I didn't figure out the interface either - however I think the sense of feedback is good - and the ship handles well.

And the friction against the ground could stand to be a little greater.
Really?  I really liked this part of it -
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 12:38:40 AM »

Sliding comes into play more as you progress...  You can use it to attack ground targets.

To use the upgrade system, press ENTER, then use up and down to select category (note this includes Core at the top, which upgrades your base stats)... Then press X twice (first time is where you should be able to swap items, but can't yet) to bring up the options for the item. From there you can press left and right to use the options, and X twice to confirm an upgrade, if you're on Core or an Item Upgrade button.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 03:02:25 PM »

I thought it was fun for a bit but it takes forever to get back to where you were sometimes.

hi
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 10:14:58 PM »

This game is so nice Jasper. You really should finish this off!

My feedback:

- Pearson is a bit too wordy, somehow. Either the game needs to pause when he's talking or he needs to say less.
- I opened up the menu, and couldn't figure out how to close it. I died!
- When I landed on a striped section, I continued to slide along it, which didn't feel right.

Man, this game is great!
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 07:26:54 AM »

Wow this is cool, can I has it?

TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 03:02:21 PM »

This game is awesome, don't abandon it, please.

I only think it would be nice to have warp/checkpoints.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 04:49:52 AM »

Thank for playing. Had planned to put a teleport item in which you could upgrade to be able to warp home further and further from the start.

Did anyone manage to upgrade?  It's really fun, honestly!  And there's quite a few items to find.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic