Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411600 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 10:44:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAccident Rewinder
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Accident Rewinder  (Read 1788 times)
Jay Jeon
Level 0

Jay Jaewoo Jeon

View Profile WWW
« on: April 05, 2010, 06:02:14 PM »

Originally this game made for EGP's march theme "10sec".
but I couldn't comment on time. this game is short and easy game.
here is my entry Here
some function is not ready yet.I gonna experiment it.
what do you think about time element in game ?

yet...
blundis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:09:47 PM »

Looks cool but I couldn't get it to run under Windows 7. Hear like a second of music and a completely black screen, then the program minimizes to the task-bar. If I click it I get another black screen and a quick bit of music before the whole thing repeats like a cheerio.
Blackcorn
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »

I really like your idea and I find it very funny. Though it is a prototype I would recommend you to improve the control of the hand. I find it clumsy and a little bit slow. It would have been nice, for instance, to be able to change the cursor sensitivity. Also, when you are in "pause" mode (between play and rewind time) you have to double click an item in order to catch it. It's not very handy and I would suggest only one click.

After five minutes of play, I finally save the guy. Even if it's a prototype, I think it would be nice to have a short animation or a new element appearing on the screen at the end. Something more awarding than "you managed to save him". Smiley

Anyway, keep working on this idea, I think you can build it into something nice, with different levels!
AndroidScholar1
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 08:19:31 AM »

If you extended on this, with levels and whatnot, I think it'd be pretty good - as a prototype, it was quite enjoyable. Not many games use time changing, but whenever one comes along it's quite refreshing.
Almost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:59:17 PM »

I found the controls a bit awkward. When you rewind time it pauses time, and then the first click after that will resume time, and the second click will be able to count as a selection click.
I would have preferred it to auto pause at any time that neither mouse button is pressed down, and accept a left click as both a select and a play at this time.

Also, I found the hand very ineffective; being able to move the small objects only made me feel useless. Rewinding time was neat, but I also felt like I would lose what little progress I had made when I did so.

A game of mine: Ten Second War
Jay Jeon
Level 0

Jay Jaewoo Jeon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 06:55:01 PM »

@blundis
I tested it under Windows 7. there was no problem.
maybe you should install old version of directX under 9.0. this game was made with old version.

@Blackcorn, AndroidScholar1,almost
Right, slow and lack of feedback, one click control. I will try to consider it in extended version.
and I'm glad to hear you like/enjoy it. Smiley thank you for  your feedback.

I gonna make it better with more interesting levels. and add some core mechanic.
you will see them soon. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:26:25 PM by imwill » Logged

yet...
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »

It's a good idea, but I didn't find it to be executed as well as it could have been. My biggest problem is that I never really understood how I succeeded. I just kept dragging things around and after a while they all got stuck in the shaft. I think if you make more levels, you should try to focus on giving each of them one particular solution. Only that solution should work, and the player should not be able to reach that solution accidentally. In other words, I want to conceive of a solution, execute it, and either everything will go as I planned (if I'm right) or something will go wrong because I overlooked it.
I think you could do this by reducing the number of extraneous objects in each level. This one felt very cluttered. If you do this, I think you could make a really good puzzle game. (I know this post is a little prescriptive, so feel free to ignore me if you have some other idea of what your game should be like.)

Other things:
- It seemed like there were invisible walls up at the top of the level. This was really annoying and I don't see why you did it - couldn't you just put real walls there?
- Several times, the game told me I was 'dead' even after I had rewound it back to 0 seconds, and there were no objects on the guy. I had to let it play forward to the end, and rewind again in order to be 'alive'.
- The guy should have some kind of animation when he dies.
- Once I've succeeded, I'd like to be able to watch the whole, completed accident from start to finish. Right now, it seems that I can't do that because if I rewind back to 0s, the objects will fall and kill him again.

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 11:07:29 AM »

"Accident Rewinder" is just about the worst name for a game ever.
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 11:22:04 AM »

"Accident Rewinder" is just about the worst name for a game ever.

I thought names that spurred controversy was a GOOD thing.  Shrug
increpare
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 11:58:47 AM »

I fairly enjoyed what I played of this : )

There was a bug (I think) where I lost and wasn't able to reverse into the unlost state however much I tried.

I think if you want to bring time into it more sensibly, you might have the person by trying to get to safety, or something more visible, I guess - maybe have the bus come to actually pick him up at that time?

Mmm. 
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic