Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411599 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 09:42:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Outlaw, The Drunk, & The Whore
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Outlaw, The Drunk, & The Whore  (Read 5215 times)
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 05:21:54 AM »

Just keep in mind that if it's hard for you, it might be hell for your players.

The main thing with stage 3 is that it had 2 minor enemies whose sprites stuck out a bit more than the others (a tail & a wing) and sometimes you'd get hit by these extraneous appendages and it was cheap IMO. I've since changed it so that each of those minor enemies has another invisible (and smaller) object that's attached to it that handles the "enemy vs. player" collisions and it's much more managable.

Just keep in mind that if it's hard for you, it might be hell for your players.

Of course, it has to be hard for the right reasons. Not because it's unplayable for the audience, but a well designed hard difficulty.

I just hope you don't allow for that credit feeding mentality that is present in most of our console games (and american arcade culture), where when you get game over you can still continue(!). Which thankfully Derek Yu didn't allow for in his game Spelunky.

Yeah I know, difficulty because it's unplayable is not what I'm shooting for of course.  Grin

Credit feeding mentality? You mean like in games like Gauntlet? Here's what happens in ODW: You play, and if you die you do get taken to a continue screen. Extra guys do in fact act like continues, and when you run out it's game over (man, game over! Aliens FTW). There is a death penalty a'la Dragon Quest where continuing halves your moolah and you get a -1 to your max HP but it used to be far more severe until I changed it to the current way. Again, once you hit the "game over" screen that game is in the books and you get booted back to the main menu to try again if you want or you can shut it off and go eat a sandwich or something instead.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 07:44:44 AM by Del_Duio » Logged

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
Eraser
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 10:28:37 AM »

Ha, this looks great. I wouldn't mind no keyboard support as I have a gamepad, but most people I know don't own one.
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 07:37:59 AM »

Guys, GREAT NEWS!

One of my testers was trying out the latest build last night and told me to get rid of the "joystick only" splash screen because the game works with a keyboard. I thought he must've been mistaken but sure as shit I just tried it out now and it's true.

ODW has keyboard support!  ..But HOW?

MMF2 must somehow convert keypresses for joystick events when no joystick is available. That's my best guess. Every event line that calls for player input is set up like "if player presses button 2" or "if player presses right on the joystick". The only thing that was ever set up for keyboard controls at all was the player could press "Q" to quit the game.

This is an amazing find! I never knew this could happen so hopefully I'm not the world's biggest n00b or whatever. But who cares, 'tis a Christmas miracle! Keyboard controls are the arrows to move, shift and cntrl for melee and gun attacks. The only thing is I haven't been able to discover which keypresses (if any) activate joystick buttons 3 and 4 so I might have to do some coding for character running and gringo skills separately. But this isn't that big a deal since the vast majority of the engine used the joystick and buttons 1 & 2.

And so, in light of this recent turn of events (and another new stage completed last night) I can say this puppy's going to be ready sooner than I thought.  Beer!

The drunk would surely have toasted this monumentous find, but instead he was scalped by these 'injuns. And then roasted in the campire. And then fed to himself.

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 12:17:03 PM »

Okay I have a 6 stage testing build codenamed 12.28.09.

I would greatly appreciate feedback on any errors or bugs, balancing issues, and if you can think of anything that would make the game better. I still have some more stages to do but this is a pretty good representation of what the whole game'll be like. Should you survive and clear stage 6 you'll be warped back to stage 1 with all your stats and antiques in tact.

As far as I know I've fixed all the huge killer problems with this.

The zip includes a very detailed readme which should explain the rest. This forum is loaded with helpful people so I feel this is the best way to get results the fastest. Plans are still on to make the complete game ready by Janurary or Feburary 2010 and then I'll hop back to Hasslevania 2 and start that up again.

ODW Build 12.28.09 was removed by Del Duio, but so that any other posts after this make sense, I'm just striking out this next part.

ODW - Test Build 12.28.09 (7MB + change
http://del_duio.sitesled.com/ODW/ODW122809.zip

Thanks everybody!

P.S: This build supports keyboard controls which is the default however you can change to joystick through the menu if you want.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:37:39 AM by Del_Duio » Logged

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2010, 06:08:01 AM »

Oh Christ, almost 60 downloads and nothing at all?

That can't be a good sign.  Concerned

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 07:27:54 AM »

I'm waiting until its complete and then i'll definitely play it Smiley i love the look of this game so far

PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 07:56:30 AM »

Nope, it's just that people in this forums have strange posting habits I am unable to comprehend (like posting tens of comments on games they don't really know anything about, and not posting anything when there is actually something they can play).

The game is fun; the music and the graphics are both pretty good. The only problem I saw is that the game feels too slow sometimes (especially the main menu and character selection screen), though I think it's intentional.

Keep up the good work!
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 02:17:38 PM »

Nope, it's just that people in this forums have strange posting habits I am unable to comprehend (like posting tens of comments on games they don't really know anything about, and not posting anything when there is actually something they can play).

The game is fun; the music and the graphics are both pretty good. The only problem I saw is that the game feels too slow sometimes (especially the main menu and character selection screen), though I think it's intentional.

Keep up the good work!

You're right I had to add a bit of a delay to some of the beginning screens because what was happening was the player'd press a button and it'd go to the next screen and immediately read that same button press and skip stuff. It was annoying.

There's a pretty bad glitch or whatever on stage 5 where you can't go all the way over to the left-hand side of the screen. If you talk to the prospector over there and exit his screen you'll become stuck and unable to move. It's since been fixed but I thought I'd mention it.

What sucks more though is I thought releasing so much so soon on this forum would tell me a lot about what to improve with this game and be very helpful, but instead all it tells me is that this is not the way to go about releasing a game. Or at least not mine! So many downloads and like 4 posts afterwards if you count everywhere. As an artist I normally hate people seeing anything I make (drawing, music, or game) before it's finished so sharing so much of this publicly was hard. But I figured I'd need help and took a gamble which doesn't appear to be paying off. Ah well, you learn with each new game and I won't repeat the same mistakes again. If this sounds all sour grapes I appologize but when you spend so much time on something you do tend to get attached to your project, you know?

Thanks to everybody who took the time to post and be helpful with my little game.  Gentleman

Maunomau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 12:52:27 AM »

Seriously you piss me off! Angry First you complain about lack of feedback only a day or two later and then you fool me into downloading some stupid .txt instead of just removing the download and saying so. And I was all prepared and looking forward to playing it. Cry

You know I was going to download it earlier but since I didn't exactly have time to play it or give any feedback I decided against it... I guess I should stick to my old habit of downloading every game I find interesting even if I have others still waiting until I have nice big pile to through.

Also there do exist all sorts of free file hosting services that you can use.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 02:32:44 AM »

dont feel too bad, a ton of games get passed over, so you aren't the only one.
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 05:35:03 AM »

Seriously you piss me off! Angry First you complain about lack of feedback only a day or two later and then you fool me into downloading some stupid .txt instead of just removing the download and saying so. And I was all prepared and looking forward to playing it. Cry

You know I was going to download it earlier but since I didn't exactly have time to play it or give any feedback I decided against it... I guess I should stick to my old habit of downloading every game I find interesting even if I have others still waiting until I have nice big pile to through.

Also there do exist all sorts of free file hosting services that you can use.

Then me taking it down wasn't aimed at you, Endymion. It was more at the hundred other guys. You're right though, I'll remove the build links from this page. I took it down from The Daily Click and actually sort of forgot to do it here.

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 05:38:25 AM »

dont feel too bad, a ton of games get passed over, so you aren't the only one.

Yeah I know. Thank you and I hope when it's done you'll check it out.  Beer!

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 05:52:11 AM »

Hi guys, sorry for the bump post however this does have to do with feedback.

I've recently released ODW to the public and this also includes a smaller free demo (called El Demo). Anyhow I was wondering if you guys could check out the demo and see if it, well, WORKS as a demo. As in did you get enough variety and etc. from playing it?

Thank you, and no more bump posts for this should this post go unanswered I swear!

http://del_duio.sitesled.com/ODW/ODWinfo.html

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic