Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411672 Posts in 69398 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 04:55:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralArticle on Rohrer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Article on Rohrer  (Read 21304 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 22, 2008, 07:01:44 PM »

"I don't know if you can smell me yet, but by the end of the day, you will probably be able to."

Rohrer doesn't use deodorant. He washes his hair only twice a month. He doesn't put on a new pair of clothes in the morning, because he gave most of his clothes away years ago. He owns four pairs of boxer shorts. If he owned any more, he or his wife would have to spend more time washing them, which would make them both more reliant on electricity to run the washer. He keeps his fridge unplugged for the same reason. No fridge, no meat; no meat, no spoilage in an electrical storm. Open the fridge and all you see are vegan grains. "There, that's quinoa. You had quinoa before? It's really good." He bakes a loaf of bread every other morning and feeds it to his family at lunch, along with lentil soup. Every day, same lunch. For weeks at a time. The alternative is to starve. Despite his consulting fee from EA, the family budget is $14,500 a year, the income pieced together from PayPal donations from his Web site, freelance writing consulting, occasional speaking fees, and monthly checks from his "patron," a wealthy software-industry figure who has taken a liking to his games.

http://www.esquire.com/features/best-and-brightest-2008/future-of-video-game-design-1208-2

It's a great article, read it all!

increpare
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 07:12:21 PM »

hmmm...a bit ott?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 07:12:42 PM »

ott?

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 07:13:53 PM »

over the top

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 07:15:24 PM »

Ah, I see. Wasn't familiar with that acronym.

I like the idea of how he lives. I'm not sure I could give up washing my hair so often, but it'd be fun to live off the land like that.

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 07:20:24 PM »

But even within the small yet growing dork vanguard of indie game-makers -- a vanguard that includes Rohrer and Rod Humble and a guy called "Cactus"

Yay, cactus!
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 07:31:53 PM »

"Yay Cactus" Indeed!  Beer!
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 07:34:26 PM »

I could imagine people trying to document the "indie experience", referring often to a mythical entity known only as "The Cactus".
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 07:48:05 PM »

Meh, I thought I'd be more inspired. Read it if you're curious.

"I played a 'Cactus game' today.

I was never sure why they called them 'Cactus games'. I thought they had something to do with cactuses, or Cactuars, like Final Fantasy. I used to like Final Fantasy. Before.

Before I played a Cactus Game.

I'm still not sure how to define the experience. It was strange, and exciting, and sometimes scary. Like your first time fooling around 'that' way with your neighbor who never really cared about you and was just looking for a quick fix.

At first I wasn't sure I got the right game. For one, there were no cactuses anywhere. Secondly, the game looked like something made long ago, though I've never seen anything like it. It's retro, but it's not. There's retro, and there's Cactus. I can't explain better than that.

Anyway, playing the game was like looking into my dreams. More specifically those dreams you're not sure are dreams or nightmares. Nothing makes sense, and yet you know it should. You know there's some meaning. There must be. Though I'm not sure if I'd be more scared to know if there is a meaning or not.

Now, I've played every Cactus Game published, and I jsut keep replaying all of them until he releases a new one, which seems to come with nearly absurd speed sometimes. Something draws me back to them, like I'm on a leash of some kind. I could just go back to playing Gears of War, or getting excited by the new God of War coming for my now dust-covered PS3. I could do all that again. I did, before.

Before I played a Cactus game."

Alas, I'm no Mr. Cake.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 07:50:21 PM »

wow. this man is my hero.

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 07:59:13 PM »

Haha, just finished reading; I'd known about Rohrer's lifestyle, but man, hearing all the details is quite interesting; the court case for instance.  It's sort of funny really: his way of life, mixing some select tech with wilderness living is something I've found incredibly fascinating for quite some time.

Anyway, I've always loved his little games, and I've just downloaded InBetween, so we'll see how that one is.

Oh, and what article about Cactus are you quoting Melly?
Biggerfish
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 08:00:38 PM »

The guy is interesting, but I really found that article painful to read.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 08:04:07 PM »

I think he's a bit crazy. That said I'm happy he won the fucking stupid court case, some people are really stupid in the USA.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 08:09:32 PM »

I thought it was a good piece, and if he has EA's ear, hopefully it will produce something interesting. I always wonder if good ideas I hear tossed around by the lead designers, which then get mangled in development, yet still applauded by the gaming press seemingly for their face value, is the most effective way to go about this whole business of video games.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 08:10:47 PM »

I thought it was a good piece, and if he has EA's ear, hopefully it will produce something interesting. I always wonder if good ideas I hear tossed around by the lead designers, which then get mangled in development, yet still applauded by the gaming press seemingly for their face value, is the most effective way to go about this whole business of video games.
Haha Bioshock!  :D :D :D  (which I incidentally didn't play)
Zaphos
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 08:17:18 PM »

I wonder if that lifestyle won't be hard on their kid, socially ...

Also, Rinku, you linked to the second page -- I read it backwards!  :D
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »

Haha Bioshock!  :D :D :D  (which I incidentally didn't play)
Also Fable, which I had briefly talked to Johnathan Blow about at Gamma3d.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 08:23:19 PM »

I wonder if that lifestyle won't be hard on their kid, socially ...

Also, Rinku, you linked to the second page -- I read it backwards!  :D
Wait, what?  Second page?  Crap, now I have more article to read before I go back to work.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 12:00:44 AM »

I didn't quote it, I just made it up.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 12:56:01 AM »

Oh...Nice little piece then, very inspirational!  That would be such a sweet "testimonial" on Cactus' site!  :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic