Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411710 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 08:24:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHow do you find Japanese indie games?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: How do you find Japanese indie games?  (Read 16446 times)
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 01:04:12 PM »

Actually, if you check out Google Translate, they give you a button to add to your browser.  It will translate any page of any language into whatever language assigned to that button.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 10:56:01 PM »

It's entirely possible that what I'm about to say is just due to my overall lack of familiarity with the scene, but most notable Japanese doujin games out there seem to be either in the fighting or shoot'em up genres. And they prominently feature loli artwork.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 11:27:05 PM »

Yeah, I dunno about that.  I play a hell of a lot of doujin platformers.  But yeah, loli artwork abound.  :D

Imagineergames
Level 1

Sweet Slithering Bogaboo of Serpentine Proportions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 03:31:33 PM »

There used to be a good site for this, Doujinarouni. But it stopped being updated some time ago. I love this kind of stuff so it would be great to get a blog to focus on it (a la tigsource?)

Imagineers of Flights of Fancy!<br /><br />Shades of Violet - Song of the Clockwork Princess
alspal
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 04:48:34 PM »

What does "loli artwork" mean?
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 04:54:41 PM »

You don't want to know.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 05:18:54 PM »

Well, if you're into it than you probably DO want to know.  Well, hello there!

TheDustin
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 05:40:36 PM »

Yeah, I dunno about that.  I play a hell of a lot of doujin platformers. 

Could you link to some of the better ones? And I know this is the perfect setup for a " Cave Story" post, but srsly. Freeware platformers are my lifeblood, so please name drop some of the obscure ones.  Beg
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 05:43:46 PM »

Buster Buster Buster Buster Buster
BUSTER!

That is a seriously amazing platformer.  It costs 300 yen, but it's totally damn worth it.  It's made by the same guy that did Guardian of Paradise.  He also made a game where you jump around with a king.  That one was pretty fun too.

Just looking around I see...

bzero, down, nanikura taiken, meril, etc.  Trust me, they are plentiful.

I'm not sure where I found 'em honestly.  I just sorta collected them over time.  I really have nothing to offer.  Sad

TheDustin
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 05:50:57 PM »

A .zip of those games would be totally awesome. Well, hello there!

I'll have to give Buster a shot. I never could find a working file of Guardian of Paradise, though. Blame Vista I guess.
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 05:58:43 PM »

http://www.vector.co.jp/
Lots of Japanese indie games. Quite hard to navigate but you can find a lot of games there.
Games here!
Google translate here!

Looks like a supercool site.

Also I love Google Translate: "Destruction Desire - battle powerful and full of exhiliaration". That's got to be the first game I try.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 06:27:22 PM »

Well, Nanikura Taiken (an ice climbers sequel basically) is CD so it's like 600MB.  I ain't zipping that.  The rest, however, can be found right here:

[61 MB]
http://www.aquinhasa.com/lonely/blog/japindie.zip

*includes
-Akuji the Demon
-Bungaru
-Buster
-Clocktower No. 2
-Crazy Bounds  (1 and 2)
-Dondon
-Down
-Kaiten Patissier
-King
-Meril
-Puchi
-Rotate Gear

It has my savefiles since they're mine, but they can probably be deleted.  I have plenty of others, but these should be all the platformers I've found.  I'm sure many of you have seen these already.

TheDustin
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 08:31:50 PM »

Kiss Buster is my new love. It's like early 90's Treasure and Capcom joined together in a glorious union, making a Gunstar Heroes based solely on Zero. And this is coming from a dude who thinks GH was the best Genesis game and stuck through X4 and X5 solely because of Zero.

Crazy Bounds was really cool, too. Thanks a bunch Aquin!
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2009, 01:09:10 AM »

Yeah, Buster is easily his greatest work although I had a lot of fun with King. 

Gee I wish I had more games for you all, but then...there IS a reason I started this topic ya know  :D

raiten
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2009, 02:01:00 AM »

Well, Nanikura Taiken (an ice climbers sequel basically) is CD so it's like 600MB.  I ain't zipping that.  The rest, however, can be found right here:

[61 MB]
http://www.aquinhasa.com/lonely/blog/japindie.zip

*includes
-Akuji the Demon
-Bungaru
-Buster
-Clocktower No. 2
-Crazy Bounds  (1 and 2)
-Dondon
-Down
-Kaiten Patissier
-King
-Meril
-Puchi
-Rotate Gear

It has my savefiles since they're mine, but they can probably be deleted.  I have plenty of others, but these should be all the platformers I've found.  I'm sure many of you have seen these already.

If Buster costs 300 yen, do you have the right to give it away for free..?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2009, 02:42:57 AM »

a few other people posted links to warez sites for japanese indie games too. i don't see why a forum that's supposed to be supporting indie game developers is posting pirated links to indie games. it's not that hard to buy games online or import. and isn't 300 yen like 3 dollars? i can sort of understand pirating a $50 game if you don't have the money, but a $3 one?

Bini
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2009, 08:59:07 AM »

There's a thread in the Doujin Game board in 2ch, named "Interesting and free soft. review". I use to peek at this thread several times but I haven't stopped to test any game at all.

I can tell however three games they seem to worship there:
- Freejia
The first one was made in RM2K, with voice acting(amateur), custom everything(gfx, sfx, bgm, etc.) from what I can tell. Haven't played enough, but it looks like the battle system is the deafult one. It has many sequels(don't know if they are made with RM2K too) and a large fanbase, with many fanmade content out there.
- Random Dungeon(らんだむダンジョン)
Looks like a RMVX game, with default combat system. Has a wiki with info about items, skills, floors, bosses and whatnot. Haven't played, but looks like the Narikiri Dungeon games made by Namco.
- Nocturne(ノクターン)
Another RM game, haven't searched enough to say anything more about it.

I'm not good at japanese and I can't tell properly the stories of these games, and they don't seem to have been translated. Also, Dragon Quest is HUGE in Japan. It's no wonder that they like this combat system.
MaloEspada
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2009, 09:05:53 AM »

Gotta try Buster even tho I dislike pirating it Sad
raiten
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2009, 09:22:29 AM »

Don't pirate it then!

The game costs 525 yen and can be bought at any of the below sites. Aquin, if that's the full version of the game you've attached you should be ashamed of yourself and take the zip down immediately!

http://download.ips.co.jp/detail?id=AMI01827
http://sonet.vip.amisoft.net/detail?id=AMI01827
http://dl.amisoft.net/detail?id=AMI01827

You could also download trial versions here:
http://www.vector.co.jp/vpack/browse/person/an025956.html
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 11:53:35 AM by raiten » Logged
TheDustin
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 10:01:49 AM »

Facepalm Thanks for the links Raiten, just purchased Buster. I got lost in the hubub of playing all those games I forgot that Buster wasn't freeware. It's totally worth the couple bucks, though. Think of it as finding a long lost Genesis classic in a bargin bin.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic