Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 03:32:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesProject Leave No Game Unreviewed
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Project Leave No Game Unreviewed  (Read 5124 times)
TheViolentTango
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2008, 04:44:13 PM »

This is something I plan to do to help TIGdb. I'd begun writing some reviews for games today when the idea hit hit me.

I'll download, play, and review every game that there currently is no review for on TIGdb. A main concern of course will undoubtedly be the quality of the reviews. I can assure you all that I will play each game a good amount before giving my opinion on it. I completely understand the concern of quality over quantity.

TIGdb is a great little site and I use it for the majority of my indie gaming needs. I really would like to give back to it by letting people know what any particular game might hold in store for them.

Granted, this project will take a pretty long time to do properly. I am completely up to the task though as this doesn't sound like work to me at all. It sounds like like a lot fun.

Also, I know there is a TIGdb section but I was pretty sure it'd be okay here and would get a bit more attention. If it's a problem though moving it is completely okay with me.  Smiley
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:42:57 PM »

WOW Beer!

Good luck to ya!  I'm going to try and do a big update for the db sometime this week.  There are a lot of games in the submission queue still.

(Also to make your task that much more challenging. Wink )
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:49:12 PM »

god speed good sir

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
BoboDaHobo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 09:46:37 PM »

Excellent, I'll make sure and do my part, playing those unreviewed games! I still think there should be a 'games-in-need' section that lists games with no reviews and few ratings.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 10:19:32 PM »

I underwent the project "Leave No Game Unsubmitted" a while earlier, but totally failed at that :D

I think it was mainly interrupted through an internet-less vacation and then I just forgot about it.
charon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 04:16:57 AM »

Well, I don't think any of my games is in the db yet, so... I'd feel much more of an 'indie game designer' if they were Tongue

But on the other hand it's possible that they suck on a major scale... either too weird or not weird enough.  Wink

In that case, I can still  Beer! though!

medieval
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 08:39:47 AM »

But on the other hand it's possible that they suck on a major scale... either too weird or not weird enough.  Wink
Weirdness is never too much.
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 03:53:29 PM »

Statistically speaking, there must be one game in the database that is utterly genius, but never got the exposure it deserved. Find it! then report back here.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 05:06:46 PM »

Well, I don't think any of my games is in the db yet, so... I'd feel much more of an 'indie game designer' if they were Tongue

In that case, I can still  Beer! though!

It still only has about 400 games out of tens of thousands of indie games, so I wouldn't feel bad about that. Perhaps it'll get in eventually, give it time. I don't think quality of the game should be a factor, because what's a bad game to some is a great game to others.

charon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 12:55:10 PM »

It still only has about 400 games out of tens of thousands of indie games, so I wouldn't feel bad about that. Perhaps it'll get in eventually, give it time. I don't think quality of the game should be a factor, because what's a bad game to some is a great game to others.

Hey the man offered himself and his frail mortal body for a heroic deed, and I as a compassionate individuum merely offered a gentle advice in return, since no good deed should remain unrewarded... Smiley

Otherwise I agree with everything else you said except that sometimes I do feel bad, but that is mostly because I am torn between living in a place of absolute beauty (here) and living in a place that has absolutely no game developer community whatsoever (also here, and all the way to horizont). It's kind of like living on an island - it has great benefits (sea, the lighthouse, cool people) but sometimes you can end up feeling a little lonely.

But enough of bitterness and grief (today I ate grapes from my own garden, which, in August, is *nothing* to be unhappy about, so I really should shut up) - I really wish we had some digital/virtual meeting place like a mush or mud (irc gives me creeps can't help it)... I'd setup one myself but as long as my only internet connection is a GPRS that'd be entirely impractical.

dantheman363
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 09:08:50 AM »

So how is the project coming along? I am interested in hearing about your experiences.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 10:54:51 AM »

I thought I'd help with this project (although I've no idea if the original person is even still doing it) and just wrote 50 reviews for the TIGdb, the vast majority of them for games which had no reviews yet.

I think I'm now the person with the most reviews on the site, but it's hard to tell -- the algorithm for 'top reviewers' here seems to be based on how many people found your reviews helpful rather than how many reviews a person has written.

I'll keep writing them occasionally since it's somewhat addicting, maybe I'll reach 100 one day. There are still a large number of games on the TIGdb without reviews, but at least I took a chunk out of that.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 10:59:39 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 11:06:39 AM »

Good job. From what I've read, the reviews are nicely written, too.

suiraclaw
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 11:09:07 AM »

I want to help. Already wrote about Teeworlds and there are a few games I could review as well. Especially the spiderwebsoftware games could use a bit of reviewing: only one is in the database (avernum 5) and it doesn't have any reviews.

Just one question: what is the true and only definition of an "indie game"? (before I review dofus arena or portal)

edit: or do I need to start a new thread with that question?

You can never get enough of something you don't really want.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »

I'd say Portal is not an indie game, but its first iteration (Narbacular Drop) is. Dofus is arguably an indie game: it was in the IGF and wasn't really covered by the mainstream press very much, but it also has a large team (dozens of artists) and makes millions of dollars a year, so it's borderline.

I think a good dividing line is this: if a game is reviewed widely in the mainstream press, as widely as mainstream games like Fallout 3 or Starcraft 2, it's probably not an indie game. Some indie games do get some mainstream press coverage, like Braid and World of Goo or Introverson's games, but even those don't get anywhere near as much coverage as the average mainstream game does.

Going by that line, Dofus and Dofus Arena didn't get much coverage, whereas Portal got a ton of coverage. Most gamers know of Portal, even if they never played the game, whereas most gamers do not know about Dofus.

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 11:18:01 AM »

I thought I'd help with this project (although I've no idea if the original person is even still doing it) and just wrote 50 reviews for the TIGdb, the vast majority of them for games which had no reviews yet.

I think I'm now the person with the most reviews on the site, but it's hard to tell -- the algorithm for 'top reviewers' here seems to be based on how many people found your reviews helpful rather than how many reviews a person has written.

I'll keep writing them occasionally since it's somewhat addicting, maybe I'll reach 100 one day. There are still a large number of games on the TIGdb without reviews, but at least I took a chunk out of that.

good work paul!
just played retrun to sector 9 lately again...great game.

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
CyanPrime
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 02:08:11 PM »

This is a great idea. My game, Virtual On 4k hasn't gotten any feedback, or replies here, and it really sucks  :Sad:

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 06:03:51 AM »

I added lots of reviews recently and I'm still going.

C'mon guys! TigDB is a great idea that could eventually become a really useful resource and it could use some support. Write your reviews or at least rate the ones you've read (most reviews have zero ratings and I don't believe nobody ever reads them).
You could also link to TigDB from your sites and such.

GentlemanHand Shake Right

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 06:13:30 PM »

TIGdb deliberately omits a huge number of quality indie games. Shrug Why would I want to contribute to that?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 06:15:43 PM »

I don't think it's deliberate. I would prefer a wiki format, or a drastic increase in the number of official editors, because otherwise it's limited mainly to games which have appeared on the tigsource frontpage, which is a tiny percentage of indie games.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic