Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 04:56:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesProject Leave No Game Unreviewed
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Project Leave No Game Unreviewed  (Read 5125 times)
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 01:11:29 AM »

TIGdb deliberately omits a huge number of quality indie games. Shrug Why would I want to contribute to that?

There's always the Submit button.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 12:21:48 PM »

Sure. But the Submit button doesn't put the games in the TIGdb. It just queues them up for the editors to then make subjective judgments as to what games they will accept as sufficiently who-knows-what to justify inclusion in the database.

suiraclaw
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 01:07:12 PM »

To be honest, I got the same feeling as Craig Stern now.

I'll wait a bit to see wether any submission fo me gets through.

The fact that you can't submit games in open beta stadium is annoying as well...

You can never get enough of something you don't really want.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 02:07:16 PM »

Hmm, I didn't know that you guys tried to submit but it got stuck in the endless queue. That sucks indeed.
I would prefer if TigDB would be more like the now-zombie GreatGamesExperiment, where you could submit any game, review it, get proper credit and engage in all the usual web2.0 activities. It was a much bigger project obviosuly, with whole company backing it up, but I would like TigDB to move in that direction. Even if slowly.

Shit, I believe TigDB has some really great potential. It would be such a shame if it would die just because its creators ran out of steam. I'm sure there are people here that would gladly help with coding/editing/whatever.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 02:10:53 PM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 06:04:03 PM »

I also believe it has potential, and I'd very much like to see it become more inclusive. (Which is why I go out of my way to complain about it Smiley .)

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 08:08:07 PM »

(Which is why I go out of my way to complain about it Smiley .)

Yes, I've noticed. Wink It's a valid complaint.  I'll be honest, I don't like your attitude about why you'd prefer to complain rather than contribute, but the complaint is valid.

However, it is one I've heard many times about not only the database, but the front page and forums, too.  As I've said before, I'd welcome more editors, but I know it's a big time sink.  Even with something as simple as a db entry, it takes me about 20 minutes per game, because the games have to be tested, and because we need full-sized, non-blurry screenshots and videos.  For a lot of games, it's hard to tell when they were released, exactly, in which case the web needs to be surfed for that info.  And that's just the games, not the companies, which get their own entry.

I don't want to take on full-time editors who are only going to promote a couple of their favorite games and then vanish because they realize it's work - it's a waste of *my* time and theirs.  And I don't want people who are going to be sloppy about it.  In the meantime, I've got to make the decisions about what order I add games in, and it's not always going to be to people's liking.  But it's still the best db around, imo.  If you want to see *more* games, hit up Tim's freeware db, which is very inclusive.  Or yeah, Great Games Experiment.

As for a wiki... it sounds good in theory, but I'll bet it would still end up relying on the force of will of one or two hardcore people.  I believe it would end up being abandoned partway through without that.  I'd absolutely love to get proved wrong about this, but that's my feeling about it right now.

I haven't run out of steam in over 3 years of running the sites, so I wouldn't worry about that!  (I may slow down a bit every now and then to recharge or crunch on games, though.)

On a more proactive tip, I have some freeish time tonight so I was planning on adding some games.  I had some in mind, already, but I'll make sure I comb the submission queue, also.

EDIT: Actually, the main reason I wanted to post originally was to thank Paul and TeeGee for contributing all those reviews.  You guys put a smile on my face and made me want to set aside some time to work on the db.  So thanks!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 08:39:03 PM by Derek » Logged
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 04:17:35 AM »

EDIT: Actually, the main reason I wanted to post originally was to thank Paul and TeeGee for contributing all those reviews.  You guys put a smile on my face and made me want to set aside some time to work on the db.  So thanks!

No, Derek. You won't trick us. It's obvious that you are writing this because we beat you on the top-5 reviewers list! You try to play it all cool like nothing happened, like: "hey, thanks for help", like scores doesn't matter to you at all. But I know, for a fact, that you are crying a river there!

Read: Thanks, man. It's actually quite fun to add the reviews and if it motivates you to work on the TigDB, that's just great to hear. Keep up the good work. I totally see it getting off eventually.

Tom Grochowiak
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 07:46:56 AM »

(Which is why I go out of my way to complain about it Smiley .)

I'll be honest, I don't like your attitude about why you'd prefer to complain rather than contribute, but the complaint is valid.

Actually, I'd much rather contribute. If you want a volunteer to help with adding games to the database / front page / wherever, let me know, and I'd be willing to help out.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic