Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 08:17:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesReversing the Japanese Text from "Yume Nikki"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Reversing the Japanese Text from "Yume Nikki"  (Read 2013 times)
Chinook
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2009, 06:34:39 PM »

I am sick of seeing yen symbols for backslashes!  Beg

Basically, I followed some (now lost) instructions for getting the correct additional text for Yume Nikki and I am now frequently surprised with Japanese text replacing certain ascii symbols from time to time. 

I am scared to toy around all that much in my XP Control Panel under Language because I fear I will do more damage.

Could someone let me know how to go back to good old Standard English stuff?

Thanks!

Edit:  I think I figured it out.  I tried to delete the topic, but I am not permitted. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 06:55:43 PM by Chinook » Logged
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 11:22:11 PM »

Edit:  I think I figured it out.  I tried to delete the topic, but I am not permitted. Smiley

Thank Goodness. I need an excuse!

Right, I've read the "how to play" readme-thingus, followed the instructions, and still no luck. Never been able to run it.

Could I maybe get a "how to run" For Dummies? Explain everything? It would be much appreciated.

Gentleman
Chinook
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 04:12:26 AM »

Could I maybe get a "how to run" For Dummies? Explain everything? It would be much appreciated.

Gentleman

I wish I could help you, but I waited far too long since I did it to remember.  I know that it involved going to my Regional and Language section of Control Panel, clicking the tab to the far right and selecting Japanese.  This required me to put in my Windows XP CD, too. 

I basically followed the readme.txt that came with the game.  I hope you get it worked out. Smiley
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 05:20:56 AM »

I'm not ENTIRELY sure anymore either, but I think I had these languages missing initially (Japanese, and all) and had to check some option somewhere in the Regional settings that made Windows install these packs from the CD.

After that, all you need to do is change the "Default Language for non-ASCII standard programs" (something like that) to "Japanese" and restart. Afterwards your Windows make look a bit different (those weird Ys instead of slashes, as Chinook mentioned) but Japanese games like that should work.

To switch back, you have to do the same thing again, just for your native language (or the initial language of your Windows system). And reboot, you always gotta reboot.
PaleFox
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:29:06 AM »

You may not want to do that, though, because switching the locale a lot can cause odd issues like the yen signs sticking around to mock you Sad. If you don't mind the window that will pop up each time you run something, Applocale is a better option if only because you don't have to keep restarting windows. It works in Vista as well as XP, though getting it to install is a bit trickier.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:29:35 AM »

I used AppLocale, I think.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 10:42:18 AM »

As far as I know, you can only turn Japanese. I don't recall there ever being a song about reversing the process.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Chinook
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 10:51:55 AM »

As far as I know, you can only turn Japanese. I don't recall there ever being a song about reversing the process.

Do you really think so?
Fuzz
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 09:20:30 PM »

I was just trying to install Yume Nikki and found this topic. There wasn't really anything here that could help me, but then I found a very straightforward installer for the English version which doesn't require any fucking around with language settings and doesn't need anything extra installed. It was on Rapidshare, which I hate, so I mirrored it on mediafire.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic