Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411603 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 01:07:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNIGHT GAME TRAILER OUT OH YEAH!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: NIGHT GAME TRAILER OUT OH YEAH!!!  (Read 10210 times)
googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »

That depends on how you mean "part of their team". Nifflas has implied that the contract he signed applies only to Night Game, and that he hasn't signed any contracts applying to his next game (yet).

At least Nifflas still retains creative control?

He still has creative control over the game, but no control over what happens to it after it's finished. Undecided (He also doesn't have the right to explain why Nicalis made its bizarre and abrupt decision.)

(Incidentally, is it typical for the sole designer of a game to sign the rights of the game over to a young, small games company?)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:24:10 PM by googoogjoob » Logged
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2009, 11:38:29 PM »

(Incidentally, is it typical for the sole designer of a game to sign the rights of the game over to a young, small games company?)
No.

No, no, no.  Ah well, we all make mistakes, and I think Nifflas has probably learned a lot from this whole nasty experience; given how apologetic he's been, I think it's safe to say he's learned his lesson.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2009, 12:47:29 AM »

EDIT: Hey... If the contract Pixel signed is like the one Nifflas signed, then Nicalis might own Cave Story (I mean, not just the Wii version). Sad

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about Nicalis...(the truth is out there)
Nifflas is part of their team.

yes Nicalis is like... Nifflas plus another dude at least, only that i thought they were together in the biz, not that nifflas was like employeed by him

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2009, 01:18:50 AM »

It looked like Nicalis had Nifflas as like a founding member or something, but that was before there were many concrete details known. Nicalis was formed independently of Nifflas, and approached and employed him. Nicalis is comprised of Tyrone Rodriguez and an indeterminate number of programmers (and probably some other people), none of whom have been explicitly named.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2009, 01:21:12 AM »

It looked like Nicalis had Nifflas as like a founding member or something, but that was before there were many concrete details known. Nicalis was formed independently of Nifflas, and approached and employed him. Nicalis is comprised of Tyrone Rodriguez and an indeterminate number of programmers (and probably some other people), none of whom have been explicitly named.

let's go back to Atari times  Undecided

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2009, 01:26:51 AM »

EDIT: Hey... If the contract Pixel signed is like the one Nifflas signed, then Nicalis might own Cave Story (I mean, not just the Wii version). Sad

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about Nicalis...(the truth is out there)
Nifflas is part of their team.

yes Nicalis is like... Nifflas plus another dude at least, only that i thought they were together in the biz, not that nifflas was like employeed by him
Yeah, I think that's the impression that we had all been under.

I wonder if at some point in the semi-near future some of the indiest indies (basically the people who've been around awhile and subscribe to Derek's "Spirit of Independent Gaming") should form a loose collective for getting games onto consoles, as it seems like the big companies don't like dealing with individuals (with Jon Mak as the only exception I can think of).  I mean, if Nifflas was letting a loose hypothetical collective composed of, say, Derek, fish, and Alec manage this, then it would have turned out fine, because they just wouldn't have allowed this kind of thing to happen.

I suppose the whole "programmers are necessary to do porting work" thing comes into play, but I'm sure there's a better solution to that problem than this current mess with Night Game.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2009, 03:19:55 AM »

Um. Does it really matter who's in charge of the game? Nifflas is still, for all intents and purposes, the man making the game. I think we should see if it turns out to be a fun game before we write Nicalis off as more decadent corporate devilry.
Renton
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2009, 03:27:12 AM »

Why am I not excited for this? It just looks like the bastard child of Gish and Sonic to me.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2009, 03:27:33 AM »

Hehe yeah, it does seem a bit extreme to go from "wah wah no PC version" to "NICALIS IS LIKE UNTO EA they own all the rights to Night Game and Cave Story and won't give them to anyone and are total douchenozzles!!!!"

googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2009, 03:53:21 AM »

Um. Does it really matter who's in charge of the game? Nifflas is still, for all intents and purposes, the man making the game. I think we should see if it turns out to be a fun game before we write Nicalis off as more decadent corporate devilry.

If NG is a fun game, it'll be because of Nifflas, not because of Nicalis. "In charge" can mean two things here. In the sense of "in charge of the game itself", then Nifflas is still in charge and has always been in charge. In the sense of "actually owns the (rights to the) game", then Nicalis does, and has for about a year. (Unless I've missed something. If I have, it's probably something Nifflas is restricted from mentioning by the contract.)

Hehe yeah, it does seem a bit extreme to go from "wah wah no PC version" to "NICALIS IS LIKE UNTO EA they own all the rights to Night Game and Cave Story and won't give them to anyone and are total douchenozzles!!!!"

The problem isn't that there's no PC version, it's that the decision to cancel the PC version wasn't made by Nifflas, and the fact that Nicalis was able to make this decision against Nifflas's wishes and prevent him from mentioning it. And that Nicalis apparently bought the rights to two major games from developers who had no previous experience with selling their games, or any experience with any publishing companies.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2009, 04:22:35 AM »

I wonder if at some point in the semi-near future some of the indiest indies (basically the people who've been around awhile and subscribe to Derek's "Spirit of Independent Gaming") should form a loose collective for getting games onto consoles, as it seems like the big companies don't like dealing with individuals (with Jon Mak as the only exception I can think of).  I mean, if Nifflas was letting a loose hypothetical collective composed of, say, Derek, fish, and Alec manage this, then it would have turned out fine, because they just wouldn't have allowed this kind of thing to happen.

I suppose the whole "programmers are necessary to do porting work" thing comes into play, but I'm sure there's a better solution to that problem than this current mess with Night Game.

i've already thought about it!! that's one of my dreams, something like "The Indie Gathering" :D where we can speak to publishers\console leaders as a big voice rather than some spare bedroom developer...

Um. Does it really matter who's in charge of the game?

yes, the difference beetween an indie developer and a normal game developer is all about independence

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2009, 11:51:53 AM »

Ah, the developer of Knytt Stories... that explains why the gameplay and general movement in the trailer feels so stiff and rigid. The animation is never dynamic or exciting in any way, and doesn't have the "pixar bounce" can add so much character.

I guess that's exactly what gave Knytt Stories its character though, but that's exactly why I didn't find it interesting and while I will buy Cave Story the minute it is relased on Wiiware, I probably won't buy this unless they put more effort into giving the movements more life to them.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2009, 12:07:45 PM »

You will all see. The game is MUCH more than what the trailer shows, but I am afraid of saying anything for I might get sued (or something).

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2009, 12:16:29 PM »

How can we be such you're not just an obsessive Knytt fan?  Big Laff
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2009, 12:50:06 PM »

Why am I not excited for this? It just looks like the bastard child of Gish and Sonic to me.

Because your soul is gray and lumpy?  I don't know, it looks pretty neato to me Smiley

tweet tweet @j_younger
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2009, 12:59:48 PM »

How can we be such you're not just an obsessive Knytt fan?  Big Laff

Because I've seen Nifflas play it in person.

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »

Holy shit! wow  Shocked

... Shrug
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2009, 05:33:08 AM »

yes, the difference beetween an indie developer and a normal game developer is all about independence
I'll play good games no matter where the source is from.

...Er, that is, as long as it doesn't involve torture or the slaughter of innocents, or stuff like that. I dunno why they would be doing that to make a video game, but that's totally off-limits.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2009, 05:36:07 AM »

I'll play good games no matter where the source is from.

...Er, that is, as long as it doesn't involve torture or the slaughter of innocents, or stuff like that. I dunno why they would be doing that to make a video game, but that's totally off-limits.

who said you shouldn't play it, i only said that what nifflas stated is a bit.. sad  Sad

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic