Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 06:04:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDinowaurs Self-Review
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dinowaurs Self-Review  (Read 1834 times)
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2009, 02:38:18 PM »

I'm not sure where to post this, but I think this board'll work. Feel free to move it.

I've been wanting to write up a post-mortem for Dinowaurs since we launched 'er, but everytime I listed out everything, it became waaay too big. So... in summary, we did a lot wrong and we learned a lot from those mistakes. Today I started writing a response to some naysayers on kong on their forums, but I realized that it turned out what I was writing was more of a review than a response. So I took what I had and expanded on it.

I think going this route was actually very useful, as it's kind of like a more digestible post-mortem. Rather than just saying, "the tutorials are boring" and "the matching was poorly executed" I tried to talk about the why. I also think reviews focus too much on "music, art, design, misc. category" and too little on actual critique. So I cut to the chase and got to what makes Dinowaurs suck, and what makes it good. In my bias opinion of course...

We may still do a post mortem, but that might turn into a novella quite quickly.

Here's the review

Furthermore, I'd encourage more self-reviews as I think they can offer an interesting insight into the developer's perspective as well as perhaps gaining a more critical eye for your own work that can in-turn make future works better.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 02:12:51 PM by aeiowu » Logged

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 02:56:16 PM »

Y'know, I really enjoyed this game. I think I lost my first match, but I had done the tutorial, and by my second game I already had a reasonable idea of what I was doing. My record by the time I had all the badges was something like 22-7, which is pretty good.

I'd say the biggest gripe is the matching system. Like you said, it's really fun to play against an opponent who's about the same level as you, but all too often you end up fighting someone with a bajillion+ wins already under their belt, or a new player who's entering the fray for the first time.

The other major problem for me is the second village. I can pretty much always knock out the first tier 1 village in each fight I have, but reaching the next tier 2 or 3 village is, quite frankly, a bitch. The slight edge in money that you get from knocking out the enemy's tier 1 just doesn't quite make up for the fact that the enemy dino now has access to much cheaper weapons. I'll make it to the tier 2, and maybe even knock it out, but then I'll lose all I worked for when a newly-flamethrower'd opponent shows up at the scene. It never causes me to lose the match, because there is a very slight upper hand, but it's the main reason that games between two good players generally end up being upwards of 10 or 20 minutes long. I think the easiest way to fix that would be adding a discount for all villages that increases depending on how many villages you have. That would make the tier 1s a decent tactical objective, instead of the no-man's land it so often ends up being. As it currently stands, the tier 1s just aren't worth the money it takes to rebuild them, or even to a certain degree the money it takes to knock them down.

That said, though, I liked pretty much all the other parts of the game. My favorite strategy for victory is SAM pimping, followed by cluster bombs if I have the opportunity and the money. What amazed me, though, was just how well balanced the game really is. I was beaten at least once by just about every other combo that players ever use. I had a few losses to flamethrower+jetpack combos, one or two to Iowa/Meteor+Flamethrower combos, some to other SAM/Cluster bomb users, and some from even more embarrassing cannon rushes. What I noticed, though, was that despite the wide variety, there's no clear "winning" combo. In the end, it really comes down to player skill, and I liked that.

Certainly there are some significant flaws as the game currently stands, but I think they could be fixed with a few tweaks to the matchmaking and game pacing. I hope you keep working on it, though! Dinowaurs is definitely one of my favorite games to show up on Kongregate! Beer!

(Well, looks like I wrote my own novella  Giggle)
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 05:05:38 AM »

I've had a lot of fun with Dinowaurs, but one aspect of the game's design I do find troubling is how quickly a destroyed village can be rebuilt.

In the vast majority of my matches (all but one and I've played about 16) whichever player destroys the enemy's forward village first will win. This is because it's much too easy for the dino that does this to immediately rebuild the village and heal up all the damage taken in the fight. The cheaper equipment available to the opponent helps them a lot in defending their second village (as Valter says that can be really tough to take), but they have almost no way to ever regain enough momentum to take the first village back because of the way it acts as a healing and rearming station for the enemy as well as giving them more income.

dc2005
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 05:47:24 AM »

I think that post-mortems are really usefull to find what went right and what went wrong, so other people can learn from the experience. But I really can't see the point in a self-review, reviews are usefuls precisely since they are other's opinions on your work... a self-review will always be tainted by the proximity to the work, even when you try to take a distance from it...

What I think it would be interesting would be a "write me a review" thread in the feedback forum.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 08:13:30 AM »

We should make a list of indie game postmortems, they are all too few and valuable. The only ones I can think of offhand are the Graveyard postmortem and my own postmortem of Alphasix.

dc2005
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 09:19:42 AM »

We should make a list of indie game postmortems, they are all too few and valuable. The only ones I can think of offhand are the Graveyard postmortem and my own postmortem of Alphasix.

I remember reading some really useful post-mortems in Gamasutra

Stardock's Galactic Civilizations
Stardock's Galactic Civilizations 2: Dread Lords
Sins of a Solar Empire

I don't think they can be called indie anymore, but it is a great story for those aspiring developers and there's much to learn from them.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic