Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 01:08:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIt's Not A Game. It's An Experience.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: It's Not A Game. It's An Experience.  (Read 6750 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2009, 12:06:58 AM »

Video games are one of the highest forms of entertainment.

I would not sign this. You might also want to ask an opera fan, ballet dancers, storytellers and theater people about their view on this, and you might get surprising answers.

I agree. I love games and all, and I think there are plenty of artistic games that outshine works in other media. But to say that games are the highest form of art, without qualification, is kind of ridiculous. Ico is just not as artistic as Brothers Karamazov, sorry.

I do agree that games have the *potential* for works greater than any other genre, since they're quite flexible and you can do a lot with them. But that potential isn't anywhere near to being realized. It'll take dozens, maybe hundreds of years before computer games and computerized interactive art in general reach the heights that novels, theater, paintings, etc., have.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 12:12:29 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2009, 01:46:21 AM »

Thanks for getting my line of thought people!

It's silly to say that one type of art is inherently "higher" than another. Art is what the artist makes of it, regardless of medium.
"High" is the wrong word, beacause it somehow suggests that any game must be better than any painting. Of course there are paintings that deliver a much stronger feeling than some games does, but I think a game has a higher potential than a painting, because a game can have that painting in it, and a hundred other paintings too.

This is a silly thing to say. By that reasoning movies are "higher" than songs, because movies can have songs in them but songs can't have movies in them.
Well yes, I defenitely think so. I think it's easier to make an overwhelming experience the more channels of communication(art) you have to work with.

It is extremely hard to make a memorable art experience with the thinnest possible channel of communication, the binary tapping of a telegraph. I'm not reffering to words or code that are deciphered by some kind of key, that's a broader channel, but just the tapping in itself.

You can do much more with white and black areas on a two dimensional surface. If those areas can change and move, you get another completely new aspect to work with. And if you add sounds to accompany those movements, you have yet another channel to communticate feelings to the one experiencing.

Our most memorable experiences are real life experiences, and those are so strong because we feel them with all our five senses. A street in an asian slum is a very strong experience, because you can see it, hear both sound and music, smell it, feel both temperature and the texture of surfaces, and also taste it.

I believe that the more channels of communication you have, the easier it is to create an overwhelming piece of art. That is kind of natural, isn't it, because you get closer to a real experience?
Fuzz
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2009, 01:49:10 AM »

I believe that the more channels of communication you have, the easier it is to create an overwhelming piece of art. That is kind of natural, isn't it, because you get closer to a real experience?
If you have more types of media each type is inevitably watered down. The final product can be great, but it won't be any better than, say, a painting, as a painting concentrates on one specific aspect.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2009, 01:55:35 AM »

Yes. But you can have one 'dominant' one and several 'supporting' ones. For instance, in a musical, the music is dominant, but the story supports it. Similarly, in a movie, the story is dominant, but the acting, visuals, music, etc., support it.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2009, 01:57:27 AM »

If you have more types of media each type is inevitably watered down. The final product can be great, but it won't be any better than, say, a painting, as a painting concentrates on one specific aspect.
Yup, that's why I say that using many channels increases the potential for experience, not necessarily the experience. I know that the individual art types are watered down in most cases, because of time limitations and such, but they still don't have to. And if they weren't, how great wouldn't that be?
Fuzz
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2009, 01:58:15 AM »

Yes. But you can have one 'dominant' one and several 'supporting' ones. For instance, in a musical, the music is dominant, but the story supports it. Similarly, in a movie, the story is dominant, but the acting, visuals, music, etc., support it.
Whereas, in a game, the interaction/fun factor is dominant but the graphics, music, story, etc. support it.
Fuzz
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2009, 01:59:05 AM »

Yup, that's why I say that using many channels increases the potential for experience, not necessarily the experience. I know that the individual art types are watered down in most cases, because of time limitations and such, but they still don't have to. And if they weren't, how great wouldn't that be?
Time is not the only factor in play here.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic