Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 05:01:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNicalis interview
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Nicalis interview  (Read 18595 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »

Nicklas and Tyrone did a dual interview over at IndieGames.

The main thing that stood out for was Nicklas saying that he'd quite like to port Knytt/Knytt Stories if given the change (once Night Game is done, of course).

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2009/03/road_to_the_igf_nicalis_duo_on.html
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 01:49:52 AM »

i'm seeying a knytt stories HD wii exclusive.

Tyrone: Hand Money Left Addicted Hand Money Right

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 02:18:28 AM »

i'm seeying a knytt stories HD wii exclusive.

Tyrone: Hand Money Left Addicted Hand Money Right
:D

I really wish BMCC would share his juicy Tyrone gossip (he hinted that he'd heard stuff at one point).
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 05:03:08 AM »

Nicklas "Nifflas" Nygren gained a strong fan following with his web-based games Within A Deep Forest and Knytt, and IGF title Night Game marks his first WiiWare effort.
Really? Never played them in my browser. Shrug
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 05:07:45 AM »

Nicklas "Nifflas" Nygren gained a strong fan following with his web-based games Within A Deep Forest and Knytt, and IGF title Night Game marks his first WiiWare effort.

maybe they are web based because you download them from the web, so their HQ is the web..

so if they were on a floppy they were floppy-based  Shrug

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 05:18:30 AM »

This could mean Knytt, Knytt Stories, Within a Deep Forest, Noitu Love, and Chalk for WiiWare!!!!!

YES!

The artist formally known as "Javet."
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 05:46:50 AM »

Yeah, I noticed that too. And the previous story linked to on the blog calls Cave Story Pixel's "first gaming project" but whatcha gonna do?  Shrug
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 05:49:18 AM »

This could mean Knytt, Knytt Stories, Within a Deep Forest, Noitu Love, and Chalk for WiiWare!!!!!

YES!

Noitu Love, and Chalk? you know that ones are from konjak didn't you?

also: it sucks, i want new games

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 05:56:51 AM »

YES!

Noitu Love, and Chalk? you know that ones are from konjak didn't you?

also: it sucks, i want new games
...wait. I suck. I have no clue what I was thinking! YAY!

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 07:30:43 AM »

When and why did you decide to make Night Game exclusive to WiiWare?

NN: I've always wanted there to be a PC build of NG, since many of my fans have been waiting for this game. I however respect Tyrone's decision here.

TR: Unknown to probably most people who have seem screens or the initial trailer for NG is that we've actually approached Nintendo very early on. They've been great to work with and have been very helpful during the development of Night Game and Cave Story.

Many have complained about the lack of original, quality releases from third-party studios. What's your opinion on the current WiiWare market?

TR: I think WiiWare is doing well for being such a young service. Big publishers are taking notice and creating games. Look at the money Hudson is putting into it with games. That alone speaks well for WiiWare.

But I'm not sure I agree with complaints regarding the lack of originality in games. Original games don't always sell enough to be considered worthwhile investments for publishers or developers so it's a tough situation.

Sad

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 08:24:32 AM »

Damn people for trying to make enough money to feed their families! Damn them! Now in order to play fun games we must by consoles, which are unto satan itself!

We should slit our throats before we support mainstream corporate bigots like Nintendo.

Note: Sarcasm.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 09:40:12 AM »

What bugs me is that Night Game is being developed for the PC, so no porting would be required, and Nifflas himself has stated that he really wants to release it on the PC (he hates disappointing his fans). There's no reason to release it as a WiiWare exclusive, unless that decision is somehow expected to marginally increase sales (though I suspect, given Nifflas' current fan base, that would not be the case).

In spirit, Nicalis seems to more closely resemble a big corporation than an indie studio.

B. van Stokkum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 10:06:45 AM »

In spirit, Nicalis seems to more closely resemble a big corporation than an indie studio.

I'm sorry, but all because of one title?  I may not know everything surrounding this topic.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 10:14:23 AM »

I have mixed feelings about this Tyrone fellow.
Fuzz
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 10:22:19 AM »

What bugs me is that Night Game is being developed for the PC, so no porting would be required, and Nifflas himself has stated that he really wants to release it on the PC (he hates disappointing his fans). There's no reason to release it as a WiiWare exclusive, unless that decision is somehow expected to marginally increase sales (though I suspect, given Nifflas' current fan base, that would not be the case).

It's even being developed in MMF2, they're just porting the engine to the Wii so it can read the PC-created levels! And fuck, no Quote in Indie Brawl? Tyrone Rodriguez is beginning to really piss me off.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 10:28:17 AM »

I'm sorry, but all because of one title?  I may not know everything surrounding this topic.
What makes indie games unique is that they are the games developers want to make, without having to answer to publishers or anyone else. The designer is free to do whatever he or she thinks would work best.

But with Nicalis calling the shots, Nifflas doesn't have complete control over his game. Nicalis is acting a lot like any other publisher, which in my book goes against the spirit of independent gaming.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 10:30:47 AM »

What bugs me is that Night Game is being developed for the PC, so no porting would be required, and Nifflas himself has stated that he really wants to release it on the PC (he hates disappointing his fans).
I'll admit that that's a bit odd. On the other hand, though, Tyrone makes it sound like Night Game has been co-opted by Nintendo from the beginning. It might not even be in production, or wouldn't be coming out for a few more years, without the support from Nintendo.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 10:34:01 AM »

What's with all the Nicalis hate?

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
B. van Stokkum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 10:36:08 AM »

But with Nicalis calling the shots, Nifflas doesn't have complete control over his game. Nicalis is acting a lot like any other publisher, which in my book goes against the spirit of independent gaming.

Oh, okay!  Sorry.  I confused "Nicalis" and "Nifflas".   Embarrassed
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 10:39:15 AM »

What's with all the Nicalis hate?

It began with Tyrone denying Quote in indie brawl!

TO THE PITCHFORKS.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic