Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411599 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 09:52:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesYou use deadlines?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: You use deadlines?  (Read 3726 times)
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 11:59:52 PM »

After you know how you work, and you're capable of, deadlines can be set realistically. Still, estimating any amount of work to a specific number of man hours is always tricky.

I always set unrealistic short-term personal deadlines. It works really well for me because I thrive on challenge. Like today, I woke up thinking: "I will redesign and finalize our new website today." My medium-term deadline being the site going live by Friday which involves modding the WP code, slicing up the concept and etc. Is this actually going to happen? Probably not, but it might. Just like I might beat Kid Icarus someday, or finish Sexy Hiking.

What's the worst that can happen? You fail to meet it, and finish a few days behind schedule? Well, actually... you're still ahead of schedule because you gave yourself 1 minute to run that 6 minute mile.

Give it a shot, especially if you consider yourself a competitive person. Beat the shit out of that deadline so if you actually meet it, you will want to scale a mountain and thrust its severed head to the heavens and cry "There can be only one!"

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic