Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 08:17:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMaking it big
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Making it big  (Read 1957 times)
CyanPrime
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2009, 04:48:20 AM »

The only kind of indie games that stand a chance of becoming big are platformers and metroidvainias. It just seems to me that these games are the easiest to market, and reap. It's the biggest nitch, and is also the least demanding.

I'm not sure whether I'm right, so let's discuss this, and if you could give me some results that prove me wrong that'd be great.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 04:54:57 AM by CyanPrime » Logged

Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 04:56:45 AM »

I think I don't know about as much indie games as people around here, but I still know about many indy games which ones were success, and are not platformers, like: Mount & Blade, Crayon Physics, Blackwell Series, Penumbra Series, etc.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 10:08:58 AM »

counterpoint

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 11:19:37 AM »

Line Rider, Castle Crashers, Narbacular Drop, Counter Strike, Team Fortress, Audiosurf and so on.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 12:04:40 PM »

Has anyone heard of that one gooey puzzle game? Smiley

I don't think it's the genre that matters so much. It might to some extent, as for example platformers tend to be more "old-school", so whether you like indie games or not, you might just like them for the nostalgia. But I think it can't really be narrowed down this easily.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
hroon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 12:22:44 PM »

If you consider commercial success as "making it big" I would even say there are almost no metroidvanias or platformers that made the jump. Most of them are free.

Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 12:34:11 PM »

nitch

this word is neither spelled nor pronounced like that hope this helps
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 01:07:52 PM »

I think you may be mistaking TIGSource with the entire world. On TIGSource and a few other retro-focused sites, metroidvanias and plaformers are king. But that's just here, on other places people could care less about them. Most successful indie games are not platformers, there are only two I can think of (Braid and Aquaria). Take a look at the "indie game" section on Steam or Direct2Drive, the majority of them are not plaformers or metroidvanias.

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 03:32:35 PM »

If you mean big as in popular.. yeah they are popular around here and various other places. Some do gain more popularity due to sites like Caiman and Acid-Play if they catch on. However, pretty much all the ones I know of are free so the genre isn't 'big' as in commercially successful really.

I suppose if Tormishire proves to be successful, maybe more people might try it from a commercial standpoint.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 05:18:46 PM »

Line Rider, Castle Crashers, Narbacular Drop, Counter Strike, Team Fortress, Audiosurf and so on.
none of which are platformers

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic